MacOSX 10.4 screenshots?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    sawtoothsawtooth Posts: 28member
    Odd, Arlo Rose, Konfabulator creator stated he was creating an "über-Widget called Dashboard" in the Konfabulator forums back in May. Could this be Apples response to the Longhorn sidebar?

Konfabulator forum post
  • Reply 22 of 60
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Yup, they're still up at Think Secret. Perhaps Apple didn't request their removal. If that's the case then they may not be the real deal. No matter. In 19 hours Tiger will roar.. or whatever. MacMinute reports no in-store broadcast. They still are hoping there may be a live Quicktime stream but that would seem doubtful.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    According to the creator of Konfabulator:

"I think you'll all be surprised how low Apple has sunk on Monday."

link
  • Reply 25 of 60
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by David R

According to the creator of Konfabulator:

"I think you'll all be surprised how low Apple has sunk on Monday."

You mean this link:

http://www2.konfabulator.com/forums/...?p=19478#19478
  • Reply 26 of 60
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Oh, here is where Mr. Roses comment is at:

Screw you Apple
  • Reply 27 of 60
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yup, and as someone pointed out in that thread, Konfabulator is a clone of OneClick from 1997 on MacOS 9... it's the implementation that's important.

I haven't ever been a fan of the widget metaphor, regardless of who has tried it, to date. I expect I'll similarly say 'meh' to Dashboard, if it is actually true.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Forget Tiger. THEY HAVE GAY NIGGERS FROM OUTHER SPACE.

Get it while you can.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yup, and as someone pointed out in that thread, Konfabulator is a clone of OneClick from 1997 on MacOS 9... it's the implementation that's important.

I haven't ever been a fan of the widget metaphor, regardless of who has tried it, to date. I expect I'll similarly say 'meh' to Dashboard, if it is actually true.

Disregarding the OneClick thing (it's not entirely true - whatever), if Dashboards are as depicted in the GNNA Tiger screenshot/fakes, then all Apple has done is revived their own Desktop Accessories and rolling in a few loose apps like Stickies and the ancient Clock into a contextual Exposé-like layer.

Definitely boring if as depicted.

If they aren't subdued black dialog boxes like this:

http://www.apple.com/motion/workflow.html

I wont be happy. Konfabulator is fine (I own it) but it has a 3rd party shareware, added-on vibe, not an integrated-into the OS vibe.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    mpmoriartympmoriarty Posts: 289member
    It sounds like a great idea and all. A feature I might be able to use and all.

But I will be very disappointed if those screenshots are how it will really be.

But if those "gadgets" can be made by third party developers and stored in there, there could be a place for it.

Think about this. Konfabulator is great for what it does. But what if you were able to store all of your widgets inside this dashboard thing and call them up whenever you want.

Mike
  • Reply 31 of 60
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

System Prefs are definitely real.

Definately not ... why is the scroll bar transparent? That makes no sense. And those stupid little bright spots aren't even all the same brightness. I suppose their bugs that still need to be ironed out.

http://images.appleinsider.com/images/tiger4.jpg
  • Reply 32 of 60
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Disregarding the OneClick thing (it's not entirely true - whatever), if Dashboards are as depicted in the GNNA Tiger screenshot/fakes, then all Apple has done is revived their own Desktop Accessories and rolling in a few loose apps like Stickies and the ancient Clock into a contextual Exposé-like layer.

Definitely boring if as depicted.

You know, that's the same thing I thought when I first saw Konfab... "Oh, it's DAs reborn, in a new plug-in system instead of an API. Eh."

Quote:

If they aren't subdued black dialog boxes like this:

http://www.apple.com/motion/workflow.html

I wont be happy. Konfabulator is fine (I own it) but it has a 3rd party shareware, added-on vibe, not an integrated-into the OS vibe.

When I first head of Dashboard, the above widgets were what I first thought of... I mean, heck, they're *called* 'dashboards'. I wonder if instead of the Konfab-ish system, what we're getting is the Dashboard API available for anyone, with Apple shipping a sample/default wrapper app that basically does what Konfab does, but any app can use for their own purposes, ala Motion.

That'd make more sense, to me.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Definately not ... why is the scroll bar transparent? That makes no sense. And those stupid little bright spots aren't even all the same brightness. I suppose their bugs that still need to be ironed out.

http://images.appleinsider.com/images/tiger4.jpg

It's a pretty good fake then, look half way down that menu. Level of Spoken Detail is an option in the new Spoken User Interface that is not in the Panther. Either real or a very good fake.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

It's a pretty good fake then, look half way down that menu. Level of Spoken Detail is an option in the new Spoken User Interface that is not in the Panther. Either real or a very good fake.

Hey , you pointed out another mistake - nothing in the list is in alphabetical order. So what order is it supposed to be in? As well, the size and place of the scroll bar suggest the list isn't very long. The person has typed in the letter d - however the option "Recent items" appears. Where is the letter d in that phrase? Further more, every phrase with the letter D should be showing, and as I said, the list doesn't look long.

In regards to the "level of spoken detail" which you thought was so clever of the artist to put in - why did he not highlite the "Speech" icon? Is there no connection between those to items?

Not only is it a BAD fake, it is quite simply pathetic. Whoever put the $50 up on the assertion these are real, your on - please confirm.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Cool gut has already pointed out several glaring problems with the System Preferences screenshot, but I have another: why is there a striped background behind the actual panes and a smooth background on top? I originally thought the new style of window was a sign that these images might be legitimate, but I'm seeing more and more inconsistencies as each minute passes. And why would you need Safari-style arrows in System Preferences? It would be more convenient to keep the current toolbar setup.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    cryptocrypto Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Definately not ... why is the scroll bar transparent?

Go to the address bar in Safari and type a letter that brings up enough auto complete items for the list that comes up to have a scroll bar. Now drag the thumb down a little. The scroll bar is translucent, because the whole window the pop up list is in is translucent.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:

Hey , you pointed out another mistake - nothing in the list is in alphabetical order. So what order is it supposed to be in? As well, the size and place of the scroll bar suggest the list isn't very long. The person has typed in the letter d - however the option "Recent items" appears. Where is the letter d in that phrase? Further more, every phrase with the letter D should be showing, and as I said, the list doesn't look long.

In regards to the "level of spoken detail" which you thought was so clever of the artist to put in - why did he not highlite the "Speech" icon? Is there no connection between those to items?

Not only is it a BAD fake, it is quite simply pathetic. Whoever put the $50 up on the assertion these are real, your on - please confirm.

Speech shouldn't be high-lighted for Level of Spoken Detail as it resides under Universal Access. I'd say that there are probably about 50 items in that list seems like enough for just searching System Prefs. As far as the alphabetical thing, I'll chalk that up to it being a Beta release.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

And why would you need Safari-style arrows in System Preferences? It would be more convenient to keep the current toolbar setup.

It's this kind of changes that makes me afraid the pics are real. The whole SysPrefs thing is easily doable (even as a mock-up or a fake), but the usefulness of the features, especially no more toolbars, is debatable.

I hope toolbars are not deprecated in Tiger.\
  • Reply 39 of 60
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Fake.

Absolutely and definitely.

First, do you think Apple would put those disgusting light patches in the preference pane? Even if it was to show you your search results, they would never do something that pointless and ugly.

Also, he typed 'd' in the search field, and 'Recent Items' and came up. Uh.. Hello?

Also, it may have been made for demo purposes.. Like someone heard that this and that were to be added into Tiger, because they really didn't do a very good job of depicting it realistically..

I believe that they might make the brushed metal look more smooth, and they might indeed put a search function into the preferences, but they will definitely not do it like that..

Moving right along.

Jimzip

Edit: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Is it ok to cry on a forum?? lol
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Hey Webmail ... please confirm the bet if you are still interested, otherwise I'll assume it's off.