What's the Deal with the "Pro" Keyboard?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Hey I got a Pro Keyboard quite a while ago and when i opened the box it contained a full version of OS9... Is that normal! I thought I was lucky, tho I was already running it!
  • Reply 22 of 28
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by trevorM:

<strong>Hey I got a Pro Keyboard quite a while ago and when i opened the box it contained a full version of OS9... Is that normal! I thought I was lucky, tho I was already running it!</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is most certainly NOT normal! :eek:

J :cool:
  • Reply 23 of 28
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>i read somewhere that Apple and Sony actually have computers that use 95%-98% less electricity while they're asleep. the rest of the bunch save approx. 10%-20% in sleep mode.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I prefer 100% less electricity.

Hibernation is your friend.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by trevorM:

<strong>Hey I got a Pro Keyboard quite a while ago and when i opened the box it contained a full version of OS9... Is that normal! I thought I was lucky, tho I was already running it!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think its because early versions of OS9 didn't fully support the extended keyboard, in particular, the media eject, volume up and volume down keys.

In order to fully use the Pro Keyboard, you need to be using a specific version (or later) of OS9. Thats why its supplied.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by RodUK:

<strong>

I think its because early versions of OS9 didn't fully support the extended keyboard, in particular, the media eject, volume up and volume down keys.

In order to fully use the Pro Keyboard, you need to be using a specific version (or later) of OS9. Thats why its supplied.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I believe OS 9.0.4 was the earliest that would work with the Pro Keyboards but by the time the keyboards were shipping seperately that version was already out and a free download.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

I believe OS 9.0.4 was the earliest that would work with the Pro Keyboards but by the time the keyboards were shipping seperately that version was already out and a free download.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm sure thats true, but for people on versions earlier than 9.0, or those who don't have internet access (I guess they still exist!), it was still a nice touch to include it in the box. I got one for an old revision B iMac running 8.6 (I think thats what it came with).

[ 08-08-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 28
    praxispraxis Posts: 30member
    my only complaint with the pro keyboard is all the crap that gets inside the casing. when i turned mine over the other day i saw all kinds of dirt. then, i flipped it back around and now have pieces of dirt in the top!!! gotta find that tool to get it apart to give it a good cleaning. does the white keyboard also have clear plastics?
  • Reply 28 of 28
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by praxis:

<strong>my only complaint with the pro keyboard is all the crap that gets inside the casing. when i turned mine over the other day i saw all kinds of dirt. then, i flipped it back around and now have pieces of dirt in the top!!! gotta find that tool to get it apart to give it a good cleaning. does the white keyboard also have clear plastics?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, the white ones have the clear plastics too. I've got bunch of dust and stuff in mine and it looks like crap. One way to get some of it out is just using one of those spray air things, it usually works.