Maya unlimited hits osx

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It is here, just announced at WWDC, that seems to be the last hurtle for content creators, now EVERYTHING can be done on the mac...eccept cad

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i was really amazed to hear that 25% of their sales is for mac. that's HUGE news.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    You beat me. Plenty of happy Maya users now on this one. Now give'em some fast cards.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

You beat me. Plenty of happy Maya users now on this one. Now give'em some fast cards.

Me too. Whoo hoo!!!!. Now I don't have to buy that PC as long as Apple gets a new 3D card from their Nvidia manufacturer. Being that the 30" display is Nvidia only I would expect Apple to get a Quadro in the lineup by Seybold where they have a huge presence this year to show off Tiger, all the Apple Pro Apps, Renderman, and renderman artist tools, and Maya Unlimited on.

Quadro 4000 on the mac today please.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    LOL

Onlooker I knew you wouldn't be too far away!

So far so good. I hope Apple puts up a little info on Tiger on the website. Hmmmmm Core Image and Core Video. Sounds very interesting I want to know more.

Developers start your engines!
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Quote:

LOL

Onlooker I knew you wouldn't be too far away!

So far so good. I hope Apple puts up a little info on Tiger on the website. Hmmmmm Core Image and Core Video. Sounds very interesting I want to know more.

Developers start your engines!

Did you check out that Nvidia 6800 DLL, or whatever it's called hmurchison?

I wonder what a 3D user can expect from that? At least It's better than the ATI cards that I dislike so much.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    I sure did. It's a tad spendy but it's nice to have the 6800 as an option.

Ok the obvious droolworthy setup now is a Powermac 2.5 with a 30" LCD

I'm thinking that this card might also run two 23" fine. I'll have to see if that's possible. I'm hoping so.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    How important for additional sales of Power Macs is this? Isn't it a bit of a niche market?
  • Reply 8 of 32
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

How important for additional sales of Power Macs is this? Isn't it a bit of a niche market?

Any niche market that doesn't blink at spending this kind of money is worth targeting.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Any niche market that doesn't blink at spending this kind of money is worth targeting.

Yes someone over at MacAch brought up an interesting point. The 30" display can correctly show a 2k scan. I'm sure some well heeled individuals would like this. It'll be out my price range for a while. Those not needing the resolution might be able to utilize 2 23"
  • Reply 10 of 32
    I think that card can power 2 of any DVI displays.

So here is my dilemma.

I like Quadros. ( we all know this) This card could be a Quadro if the firmware, and drivers were correct (I think) but will Nvidia release that firmware for us. I'm thinking not. Because what would the PC side say if they did?

What Apple has to do at Seybold is demo this New Nvidia 6800 optimized by utilizing Core Image, and some fancy 3D acceleration leveraging Quarts Extreme, Core Image, and touch on the open-GL shader development, (DevKit comes with Xcode), or something to that effect if there are no other 3D cards coming for the Mac. They also need to show the results of what a PC Quadro is doing on the PC side vs. this card with Apples optimizations for 3D, and compare them to semi-prove that this setup can match a PC in 3D. That way Nvidia hardware developers can still charge $1,800.00, and up for their Highend graphics cards, and PC users cant blame Nvidia for it. It will basically put a feather in the hat of Apples OS development.

However - Now that Maya Unlimited is coming to OS X there may a graphics card manufacturer that sees opportunity here to sell a few cards to Mac users. All they need to do is port the damn firmware, and drivers. (I think) The cards should fit, and we already know nvidia GPU is cross system compatible because it's designed that way.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    mattbmattb Posts: 59member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Did you check out that Nvidia 6800 DLL, or whatever it's called hmurchison?

I wonder what a 3D user can expect from that? At least It's better than the ATI cards that I dislike so much.

I much prefer ATI cards than NVidia on the Mac from past experieince but I must admit to being seriously interested in this card considering it's a generation ahead of any Mac ATI cards currently available. No CTO 9800XT with a Dual 2.5 GHZ for me anymore...

I hope it pressures ATI to release Mac X800 cards before this card starts shipping.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by MattB

I much prefer ATI cards than NVidia on the Mac from past experieince but I must admit to being seriously interested in this card considering it's a generation ahead of any Mac ATI cards currently available. No CTO 9800XT with a Dual 2.5 GHZ for me anymore...

I hope it pressures ATI to release Mac X800 cards before this card starts shipping.

The reason I dislike ATI cards so much wouldn't affect most users, but it's solely because 3D, and Open-GL. ATI's Open-GL is atrocious. IF you do 3D ATI is a freaking joke, and will cripple your efforts.

I' imagine they do well in regular computing needs, but their highend 3D cards don't even compare to Nvidia's low end 3D cards.

An ATI FireGL X2t (ATI's high end 3D card) is outperformed by a Quadro FX 1100 (Nvidia's Low end - entry level 3D card) which has 1/2 the memory, and is an entry level 3D card. It's not very impressive for ATI's highend 3D card is it.

Nvidia's highend Quadro FX 4000 is 20x the card in 3D of anything ATI can muster up.

But I'm sure ATI has a pretty good card for the everyday user because they sell a lot of cards.

Here is a good comparison
  • Reply 13 of 32
    I swear. (all the time) I've never been so fleabangin' happy in all my life.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    mattbmattb Posts: 59member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

The reason I dislike ATI cards so much wouldn't affect most users, but it's solely because 3D, and Open-GL. ATI's Open-GL is atrocious. IF you do 3D ATI is a freaking joke, and will cripple your efforts.

I' imagine they do well in regular computing needs, but their highend 3D cards don't even compare to Nvidia's low end 3D cards.

I was talking purely about their consumer cards, certainly FireGLs and Quadros seem to be another matter entirely. It would be great to have the options of these too. Hopefully the death of ADC will help things along.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

I sure did. It's a tad spendy but it's nice to have the 6800 as an option.

Ok the obvious droolworthy setup now is a Powermac 2.5 with a 30" LCD

I'm thinking that this card might also run two 23" fine. I'll have to see if that's possible. I'm hoping so.

It runs two 30" displays if you want it to!
  • Reply 16 of 32
    a single graphics card will run dual 23's but you'll need two graphics cards to run dual 30's because the res on a 30" is so great that it takes up both monitor slots on the video card.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by bizdizzle

a single graphics card will run dual 23's but you'll need two graphics cards to run dual 30's because the res on a 30" is so great that it takes up both monitor slots on the video card.

No I think the 6800 Ultra DDL has 4 DVI connections for dual 30" display output. Not totally sure, but thats what I thought after watching the keynote.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Come on guys, learn to read...

http://www.apple.com/displays/digital.html

If you look at the sidebar to the lower right, it clearly states that the nVidia card can run dual 30" ACDs...

And it clearly shows that the card in question has two dual link DVI ports...

Therefore, one monitor, one port used...

Two monitors, both ports used...

All with a single nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL card...

But I would use the second port to connect a 18" Wacom Cintiq LCD tablet display myself...

Would be great for Artisan, Paint Effects & 3D Paint in Maya; not to mention using the LCD tablet with Motion or Shake...

Cheers!

;^p
  • Reply 19 of 32
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

<snip>

Yup, it can run two 30" monitors through one card. Dual Link does not mean Dual Ports. Dual Link is the tech within a Single DVI connector on the video. Dual Link is part of the reason that this card takes up a AGP as well as an adjacent PCI slot.

The fact that the monitors are DVI now will also aid in getting more cards onto our platform.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Yup, it can run two 30" monitors through one card. Dual Link does not mean Dual Ports. Dual Link is the tech within a Single DVI connector on the video. Dual Link is part of the reason that this card takes up a AGP as well as an adjacent PCI slot

It doesn't actually use the second slot. The physical dimensions of the card are so large, that it blocks one of the PCI slots.