Tiger Developer Preview DVD?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    major tommajor tom Posts: 12member
    Tiger appears to be more buggy than I had anticipated. I have experienced several system hangs and lockups. Automator is called "Pipeline" (the re-naming must have been a last minute change, and too late to be included on the developer copy) and the icon is a domino. I installed the Creative Suite, and illustrator cannot save anything without running into an "unknown" error and nothing else will completely launch (Photoshop, indesign, acrobat). Searching is just as fast as in Jobs' demonstration. Dashboard is even more useful than I thought it would be. When double clicking a desktop hardrive icon the finder menu just appears, no "launching outward" effect as in Panther and jaguar, although folders do (that's an odd change). There is a new screensaver, apple news, which shows animated headlines from the apple website, really cool. The toolbar apple icon is not encapsulated in blue to match the search icon, as in the demonstration. Again, this may be because my build is an early one. Any questions?
  • Reply 22 of 28
    major tommajor tom Posts: 12member
    Oh yeah, my build number is 8A162. Anyone running a different version?
  • Reply 23 of 28
    That's what build I'm running.

To install it on an external drive without having to reboot:

1. Put in the DVD.

2. Double click on the drive icon.

3. Go to System/Installation/Packages

4. Double click on OSInstall.mpkg

5. Follow instructions.

That was how I installed the basic OS on my iPod.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    rspressrspress Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Originally posted by czimmerman

That's what build I'm running.

To install it on an external drive without having to reboot:

1. Put in the DVD.

2. Double click on the drive icon.

3. Go to System/Installation/Packages

4. Double click on OSInstall.mpkg

5. Follow instructions.

That was how I installed the basic OS on my iPod.

That is the odd part, no system folder. Must be a bum disc...but everything checked out. Guess I will snag the other one that was posted.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    stephanstephan Posts: 1member
    I attended WWDC and yes, Tiger and Tiger Server came on DVDs. I wanted to install Tiger Server on a "spare" Xserve and realized that the box (Dual 1.33GHz Xserve) doesn't have a DVD-ROM drive.

I got around this by inserting the DVD into my PowerBook that can read DVDs. Next I connected the PB to the Xserve via a FireWire cable. I rebooted the PB into FireWire Target Disk Mode (hold down "T" at startup). I got on the Xserve and saw the drives from PB including the Tiger DVD. I set the DVD as the startup disk and was able to boot off the DVD over FireWire, it was a little slow, but it worked.

This solution should obviously work for Tiger Client just as easily as it did for Tiger Server.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    rspressrspress Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rspress

That is the odd part, no system folder. Must be a bum disc...but everything checked out. Guess I will snag the other one that was posted.

Sorry, I must have been retarded by studying for my MCSE....I am too old for school! I have been a mac user since 1984 and just did not click the DVD icon. Installed and running fine off my iPod. In fact I am writing this in Tiger! Thanx for the tip...when I read it the second time I got it.

Anyone have any good coreimage or corevideo tricks?

• Reply 27 of 28
    Has anyone managed to install the Tiger SDK on a Powerbook? I tried to install it on my 15" Aluminum powerbook but got a kernel panic. If there is a way around this I'd sure appreciate a tip. Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    mactechmactech Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cjboffoli

Has anyone managed to install the Tiger SDK on a Powerbook? I tried to install it on my 15" Aluminum powerbook but got a kernel panic. If there is a way around this I'd sure appreciate a tip. Thanks in advance.

I haven't tried it on my PowerBook yet, but I cannot get it to boot on my cube without a KP. No external devices except my iPod.

I am going to try it on my old tiBook 400 tonight with an external FW drive. I will let you know the results.