Is Sherlock dead?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

Dashboard may take over the stock ticker and weather report, but who wants to look up movie listings in an Expose dashboard? Since the answer is probably "no one", and yet Dashboard's API could be used to write such an app, my guess is that someone's going to abscond the API for another data mining app that will give Apple something to rip off for 10.5.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to look up movies with Dashboard. The fast access is nice, but for something like that, i.e., something that isn't necessarily used really frequently, you can just go there and open up that particular widget, use it, and close it. For the others, like weather, you can leave them open for quick checking throughout the day.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I still don't see the big lure about dashboard. I tried tiger, and was as impressed by dashboard as you guys are about what icons I have in my dock.

(I was trying to think about something you wouldn't care much about)

It's interesting to see, but all that I see is that Apple has created some ugly widgets to replace something that I was perfectly fine being an application. The only reason I'm happy about it is that Apple redid their java whatever so it's faster now.

Honestly dashboard is perfect for something like a stock ticker, not somewhere to access my address book. Maybe if OS X couldn't me having Address Book and another app open at the time time I'd see more of a use. All apple did was open the door for crappy little programs to be made easily. I tried konfab, and got the same impression I did off of dashboard...a novelty item that wears itself out quickly.

As for sherlock...it's not dead...only to use non US people. I use it all the time for movies, and especially the phone book feature. MMMMmmm wonderful to live in the US!
  • Reply 23 of 24
    In the Tiger build that is currently going around, Sherlock is still there, and it is version 3.6.1. Now, I never looked at the version number in Panther, so I'm not sure if there is a difference. However, it is not built into the dock upon load up of the OS, so I would have to agree that it is on the back burner.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    foadfoad Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by czimmerman

In the Tiger build that is currently going around, Sherlock is still there, and it is version 3.6.1. Now, I never looked at the version number in Panther, so I'm not sure if there is a difference. However, it is not built into the dock upon load up of the OS, so I would have to agree that it is on the back burner.

Current version in Panther is 3.6.

Also, it is too early to judge is development for Sherlock is going to end. Tiger is still a year from release. There is still a looooong ways to go with it and the apps that come with it.