Keynote: New iMac and headless (PowerMac) ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Bidouille speculates heavily into the new iMac (TAM) to be introduced at the Paris Expo

Speculations are based on the Keynote presentation of Spotlight, using the searchwords iMac, Paris and birthday.

Bidouille seems to have missed that Jobs also made the search "Yosemite", after those words above.

From www.apple-history.com (Yosemite B&WG3)

"Although it shares the name of its predecessor, the "Blue" PowerMac G3 is an altogether different animal. Sporting an all new translucent "easy-open" case design (code named "El-Capitan"), the new G3 was the first Apple model to support FireWire, Apple's new high-speed serial standard. It was also the first professional model to include USB, although it also came with a "legacy" ADB port for backwards compatibility. In a controversial move, Apple chose not to include standard serial ports, a floppy drive, or on-board SCSI (Apple instead chose Ultra ATA). An internal Zip was available, however, as were SCSI expansion cards. The G3 was available in a number of configurations, starting at $1599, and rounding out near $5000 for the fully loaded server configuration. In late April, the "Blue" line was speed-bumped by 50 Mhz, bringing the high-end model to 450 Mhz."

Indications of a new headless Mac or Jobs just feeding the rumor-mill ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    utsavautsava Posts: 53member
    This is quite interesting indeed! Of all the words...
  • Reply 2 of 43
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    SJ also used 'Half dome' (in Yosemite) as a search term... another indication of the iMac?
  • Reply 3 of 43
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Fantastic observational skills! Has SJ made a habit in the past of slipping easter eggs into his presentations?
  • Reply 4 of 43
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Though i noticed Jobs play on words at WWDC I think waiting 2 more months to update Imac is discraceful. This would mean over a year between models and the last thing they did was simply plop on a bigger screen. still just as stale as it was months before that. How can a major company like apple play so many games with what should be its flagship? do they expect everyone to just wait on them? Is this a game or a business? If it is August before Imac comes out then that will be another blunder by the marketing fools at Apple. bleeding all the channels dry for months before coming out with a new model? Pretty hard to sell out of a empty store. Imac should have been updated when they plopped on the bigger screen. By the time they do release a 1.6 G5 Imac the 1.6 isnt going to seem that great. we now have AMDs 3800 running at 2.4 ghz and Intel has a 3.6 P4. a 1.6 G5 will hardly draw any customers away from Intels world. 2.8 & 3.0 P4s are becoming dirt cheap. Imac should have gone G5 last year not next fall. Apple's Hardware division is still lost without a clue when it comes to consumer computers. By the time Imac is released it again will be stale obsolete hardware componets that no one will want.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Though i noticed Jobs play on words at WWDC I think waiting 2 more months to update Imac is discraceful.

With Apple halting shipments of iMacs to resellers almost a month ago and with the channel drying up fast it would be insane to wait until the Paris expo. Note below how the channel is drying up. Would it really take another two months?

I am beginning to wonder whether they have done this to clear inventory or just to screw with the resellers even more. Take the eMac for instance. Supposedly you cannot get an eMac because of large educational/institutional purchases (according to Apple) yet you can get one immediately from the Apple Store.

Something rotten is going on...
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Lack of iMac updates hurting Apple - Macworld UK

Another possibility: Assuming the third quarter (Q3) was dismal as they say. No doubt the new iMacs will be a huge sales boost so why waste it by announcing them now? The quarter ends today so it wouldn't have had any impact anyway. Might as well save it for the fourth quarter (Q4) which starts tomorrow. I imagine they will announce them in two to three weeks, either just before or just after the Q3 conference call. Paris is too late.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by chromos

SJ also used 'Half dome' (in Yosemite) as a search term... another indication of the iMac?

Someone at macrumors mentioned that the dates on the files Jobs found for "iMac" had recent revision dates.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    A sale is a sale, the only way you waste a sale is by missing one. Manipulating numbers doesnt help the poor marketshare. They allready count Emacs as Imac sales. This qtr is going to be worse then the last and they think by holding off iMac 2 more months will help? They may have rocket scientist in the software division but whoever is after the 1% marketshare is no rocket scientist. could this be Jobs or some beancounter CEO? i wonder who is calling the shots. Imac was a terrific concept in the 90s but Apple has insisted on making iMac a stale overpriced and underperforming flop. The computer that saves the company gets treated like crap when it should have been the one with a fancy new Cpu.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Something rotten is going on...

I ordered a Combo drive eMac from Mac Warehouse yesterday with immediate shipping. They had plenty of stock.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Oh man that is a stretch. Let's see during the Spotlight demo he typed the following things into the following apps:

"pixar" demoing Finder

"imac" demoing Finder

"paris" demoing AddressBook

"birthday" demoing AddressBook

As a subsearch of "birthday" he entered "next 7 days" and the result had 5 entries. The one that came up (because it was first in the list ) was:

Sonya Barnes

555-782-1108

[email protected]

July 1, 1952

1505 Sutter Street

New York, NY USA

"yosemite" demoing Mail

"keyboard" demoing System Preferences

"desktop" demoing System Preferences

"wallpaper" demoing System Preferences

"airport" demoing System Preferences

"wifi" demoing System Preferences

"802.11" demoing System Preferences

"paris" (again) demoing system wide search

"tiger" demoing system wide search

"halfdome" demoing system wide search

FYI, the iMac's birthday is either May 5 (1998 ) when it was announced or August 15 (same year) when it began shipping.

Hell if I know if this means anything. Now if he would have typed "SMU" or even "Neo2" into one of those search fields.....
  • Reply 11 of 43
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    In Safari he searched for Cheney and mentioned the f-word. Is this a clue also?
  • Reply 12 of 43
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by newton

Speculations are based on the Keynote presentation of Spotlight, using the searchwords iMac, Paris and birthday.

I would sooooo love it if Steve was clever and sneaky enough to do somthing like that on purpose. However, I think I would go on the rumors of channel supply and EOL status first.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The iMac has doubtless been giving Apple headaches for the last two years. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that its design gets more attention than that of any other Apple machine, and that only makes it harder. Think about it: It has to be a flagship, elegant and powerful, the epitome of user friendliness, and yet inexpensive enough to run with completely un-designed boxes that feature fast CPUs on cut-rate boards wrapped in cheap plastic with little to no software bundle.

It's the hardest machine in the lineup to get right. And although the iMac 2 came out of the starting gate looking like a contender, it just didn't pan out (the difficulty Apple seems to have updating the hardware certainly hasn't helped). But how do you follow that industrial design while addressing the machine's flaws and lopping US$300 off the price? Sure, Apple has to find a way to do it, and soon, but I have trouble believing that anyone thinks it's been easy.

I'm pretty sure that Apple will do whatever they have to do to get a G5-based board in. While I'm sure the G4 runs Tiger OK, the direction Apple's taking screams for bandwidth, and that's the real strength of the G5's architecture. The GPU will be nVIDIA again, because of their shader support, which is crucial going forward. I think the screens will be shared with the 15" and 17" PowerBooks, because that's an obvious way to cut costs while giving the iMacs nice wide screens (though obviously, because they're desktops, the screens will have brighter backlights).

Beyond that, I really have no idea. The iMac 2 came out of the clear blue sky, although pscates did come close to getting the general form right. Maybe the nifty detachable swivel mounts on the new displays offer a clue?
  • Reply 14 of 43
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Maybe the nifty detachable swivel mounts on the new displays offer a clue?

You mean the new iMacs are going to have 30" screens?

• Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gamblor

You mean the new iMacs are going to have 30" screens?

Yeah, a computer that sells for ~$1500 will have a $600 GPU set up and a $3300 screen!
  • Reply 16 of 43
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    I dare say the choice of words was intentional and rehearsed.

Someone already mentioned that the keynote was 15 minutes short, enough to introduce a new piece of hardware in Mr. Jobs' usual oh-and-one-more-thing style. Though it's possible that the unannounced thing is so huge that they decided at the last minute that it deserves its own public event, I think that's a stretch. Far more likely that they cancelled the announcement at the very last moment. Searches demonstrated by His Steveness would indeed have the most dramatic effect if the one-more-thing turned out to be an iMac 3, <dreaming mode>redesigned from ground up, up to the spec, etc</dreaming mode>. What happened? We don't know for sure, but the last moment cancellation does not really mean the product is not ready. Apple never announces products which exist only on paper. So, I'm going on speculating by presuming the unannounced product exists as a prototype at the very least. Also, I can't recall Apple announcing products without stating exact or approximate release dates. Maybe, the release date was that very problem which made them cancel it? After the 3GHz oops I suppose Jobs does not want to do the same thing again so soon. So they chose not to risk and keep their mouths shut.

There may be a thousand technical reasons why they can't tell when they're ready to ship a product even approximately:
    • Downclocked G5s @ 90nm to be used in iMac 3 are in too low volumes.

• Suddenly IBM fixed everything and Jobs cancelled the introduction of PowerMac 3GHz to introduce PowerMac 3.5GHz later (in Paris).

• An absolutely new iMac-like product is slipping because of unexpected manufacturing issues.

• A political decision, following the 3GHz failure, was made to announce the next great thing with immediate availability lest disappointed customers could expect one more failure.

• During the preparation for a demo the new iMac fell off the stand and stopped working.

• etc., etc., etc.

• Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

[*]During the preparation for a demo the new iMac fell off the stand and stopped working.[*]etc., etc., etc.[/list]

lmao
  • Reply 18 of 43
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

The iMac has doubtless been giving Apple headaches for the last two years. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that its design gets more attention than that of any other Apple machine, and that only makes it harder. Think about it: It has to be a flagship, elegant and powerful, the epitome of user friendliness, and yet inexpensive enough to run with completely un-designed boxes that feature fast CPUs on cut-rate boards wrapped in cheap plastic with little to no software bundle.

It's the hardest machine in the lineup to get right. And although the iMac 2 came out of the starting gate looking like a contender, it just didn't pan out (the difficulty Apple seems to have updating the hardware certainly hasn't helped). But how do you follow that industrial design while addressing the machine's flaws and lopping US$300 off the price? Sure, Apple has to find a way to do it, and soon, but I have trouble believing that anyone thinks it's been easy.

I'm pretty sure that Apple will do whatever they have to do to get a G5-based board in. While I'm sure the G4 runs Tiger OK, the direction Apple's taking screams for bandwidth, and that's the real strength of the G5's architecture. The GPU will be nVIDIA again, because of their shader support, which is crucial going forward. I think the screens will be shared with the 15" and 17" PowerBooks, because that's an obvious way to cut costs while giving the iMacs nice wide screens (though obviously, because they're desktops, the screens will have brighter backlights).

Beyond that, I really have no idea. The iMac 2 came out of the clear blue sky, although pscates did come close to getting the general form right. Maybe the nifty detachable swivel mounts on the new displays offer a clue?

Shhh, don't let Apple hear you all off message, they may stop your cheques.

Finally, an admidmission, or as close as we're ever likely to get, that the AIO is the source of Apple's difficulty with this model.

Think about it.

Apple need only do 3 things.

Design a headless iMac with a power plug built in. My 7 year old PC has a socket for monitor power, it's not that hard.

Take one iMac 20" and subtract the cost of the panel. What's the worth of a headless superdrive iMac? 799.

Introduce a widescreen 17" Al ACD at 499.

Problems solved.

Want a cheap entry point? 799 is great for a full featured machine. You worry about your own bloody monitor.

Want a competitive mid to high level consumer machine? 1299 buys you a headless iMac with a 17" display.

Want a big screen consumer desktop? 2K buys you a iMac plus 20" bundle.

Done. You cover all the points, you lower manufacturing costs, and also combat the perception of value proposition that keeps so many consumers away.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

You cover all the points, you lower manufacturing costs, and also combat the perception of value proposition that keeps so many consumers away.

And in doing so, eliminate the eMac altogether. Even more cost savings. It just makes sense. \
  • Reply 20 of 43
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Take one iMac 20" and subtract the cost of the panel. What's the worth of a headless superdrive iMac? 799.

Agreed - and perhaps even less than $799 given that the eMac (with more expensive casing, a 17" CRT, and reportedly more expensive G4 processor) retails at this level