New PowerMac specs

1246715

Comments

  • Reply 60 of 300
    I know we'll hear a lot of bitching and moaning--some of it relatively legitimate--from various quarters here. But I for one will be happy with a modest speed bump and a revamped motherboard. I'm buying.



    The reason is simple: I have too much work to do. Those of you who want the Power4 model will just need to wait, but Apple will be kicking some serious derriere in the coming years, I predict. Their software acquisitions have been too promising for us not to see great hardware down the line.



    Look at this PowerMac revision not as a stopgap but as a movement toward easing the gap. The PC world will still win the races, but by a more narrow margin. In six to fourteen months, we'll have dramatic gains, but those of us with a lot of work to do don't have time to moan and whine.



    -----------------------------------------

    Waiting Until Tomorrow in Nashvegas
  • Reply 62 of 300
    1,2 Ghz for ThinkSecret (which means we can be stuck at 133 FSB) and 1,25 GHz for Macminute...



    I hope that MacMinute is right but I fear ThinkSecret is...



    I need to buy the next mid-level PowerMac, but I think I will have the bare minimum from what I expected
  • Reply 63 of 300
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,146member
    Don't forget those sexy new cases
  • Reply 63 of 300
    toofeutoofeu Posts: 73member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

    <strong> The site did mention ATI Radeon 9700, which is an 8X AGP part, but I suppose Apple could just run it across a 4X bus.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    The site mentions ATI 9000 serie not specifically the 9700 card...

    I don't think that we are getting this one for a long time

    :o
  • Reply 63 of 300
    I'm not dissapointed. I knw these specs aren't what most everyone wanted, but I'm surprised that all of you even care what apple CPU speeds are compared to wintel speeds. What does it matter? Its fast, its fast for our apps, and its still faster than wintel, and we don't need to put up with a crappy OS. Grow up!



    I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a 9Ghz G5 with QDR Ram, or something like that, but even a dual 800 G4 with SDR Ram works fine for RealTime Rendering of High Res Video - That says something.



    Heres the essential problem - most apple users are suffering from Ghz Envy. Most of us are running around saying "Mhz doesn't mater!" but all you have to do is look at this board to see that most of you don't really believe that.



    I agree that apple could improve its product speed bumps, They haven't been exactly forthcoming. But, as long as the quality of the product improves, why do you care if it doesn't look the same as the corresponding Wintel Speeds? What is the source of this insecurity?



    Bottom line - I'm buying a PowerMac when they're announced tomorrow. And so are quite a few of you. If you want to wait - coolio. If you want to switch to PC so you can have a 3Ghz peice of garbage that processes Wintel vomit then you are a shallow hack and deserve the telephone charges you can look forward to getting when you have to start calling M$ tech support. Enjoy.
  • Reply 66 of 300
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,146member
    [quote]Originally posted by Agent Cooper:

    <strong>I'm not dissapointed. I knw these specs aren't what most everyone wanted, but I'm surprised that all of you even care what apple CPU speeds are compared to wintel speeds. What does it matter? Its fast, its fast for our apps, and its still faster than wintel, and we don't need to put up with a crappy OS. Grow up!



    I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a 9Ghz G5 with QDR Ram, or something like that, but even a dual 800 G4 with SDR Ram works fine for RealTime Rendering of High Res Video - That says something.



    Heres the essential problem - most apple users are suffering from Ghz Envy. Most of us are running around saying "Mhz doesn't mater!" but all you have to do is look at this board to see that most of you don't really believe that.



    I agree that apple could improve its product speed bumps, They haven't been exactly forthcoming. But, as long as the quality of the product improves, why do you care if it doesn't look the same as the corresponding Wintel Speeds? What is the source of this insecurity?



    Bottom line - I'm buying a PowerMac when they're announced tomorrow. And so are quite a few of you. If you want to wait - coolio. If you want to switch to PC so you can have a 3Ghz peice of garbage that processes Wintel vomit then you are a shallow hack and deserve the telephone charges you can look forward to getting when you have to start calling M$ tech support. Enjoy.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Right on AgentCooper!



    Wintel doesn't run Final Cut Pro or OS X or Logic(soon) hehehehe. I'm not complaining ...I want OS X to fly..the hardware will come.
  • Reply 66 of 300
    [quote]Originally posted by Toofeu:

    <strong>





    Yeah sure....

    <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" />

    Don't think that apple can implement all those goodies, we are still hoping that they finally decide to implement something that exists for almost two years now.. the DDR.

    So for the AGP8X well maybe next year if we are lucky.

    By then all pros will be using AMD boxes.</strong><hr></blockquote>





    I agree.



    Their hardware is like some of the new features of OS X an their iApps; iDevice : THEY DIDN'T THINK DIFFERENT.



    They think as the other, but 1 or 2 years after, or they redo what they did (folder opening in jaguar and os 9, little speed bump) and selle that to us saying that they made big improvments.



    e.g.:

    iCal is not a new idea.

    syncing data between a computer and a phone is not new (even the most coolest and easiest it is)





    Moreover they make computer slower than all other and they sell them more expensive than other (A dual PM 1.25-DDR vs a dual Athlon 2.8-DDR), but they are the MACINTOSH myth so they can do that but until when ?



    Mac folk wake-up !!!!





    Aw

    iApple : Selling the coolest slow hardware for years...
  • Reply 68 of 300
    The slight speed increase is fine if not for the price increase to go along with it...

    Of course 'other details not avail.' could mean it will be worth the money, but if all we get is the speed increase with a price bump....

    Well at least the 'old' 800 will be avail. on the cheap. Dual procs aren't worth the extra money for most people. They don't show speed increases for most applications...

    BTW when does apple update for this sort of thing? Will it be avail. in the AM? (Based on, say, the last silent speed bump)
  • Reply 69 of 300
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

    <strong>For whoever said that no software uses DP, you're wrong. Plain and simple.



    OS X automatically uses DP. </strong><hr></blockquote>It's virtually useless unless the software is multi-threaded. You can run two compute-intensive programs at once faster. But your non-multi-threaded apps aren't going to be faster.







    BTW, did anyone else notice the fairly hefty price increases that go along with these machines?
  • Reply 70 of 300
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by cthulu:

    <strong>Well the 867 cant be on a 166 bus its still 133.The 1 gig could be 166 and the 1.25 must be.

    Which means those who cant aford a 3300 computer are screwed once again.Since most software doesnt use the second processor and most programs that do get only a modest boost this is in reality a sorry 67 mghz bump.Pathetic.This deserves two faces!</strong><hr></blockquote>



    What part of your a** did you pull "67 mghz bump" [sic] from?



    Even if you aren't counting the extra processor, 1250 - 1000 = 250 (I write this out because obviously you can't do simple subtraction.)



    In any event you must factor in the added bandwidth of the 166MHz MaxBus, (maybe even 333Mhz, effectively either a 33MHz or a 200MHz bump) and the reduced latency and speed of 333MHz DDR RAM.



    It is you, who is pathetic. With Jaguar this new beast is going to be kickin'.
  • Reply 71 of 300
    ::whistle::

    Boy, this thread sure did get angry quick.....
  • Reply 72 of 300
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    i saw a price decrease. don't know about you but know i get an extra chip for the same or less price.
  • Reply 72 of 300
    If this is the true speed bumps without a decent DDR boost it is simply the biggest load of BS Apple has ever spilled. Pure and Simple............



    For all you saying " it's all right really" need help. Me I waited since last year to update. Jobs could stick this up his arse and I will go buy a PC until he sorts this fiasco out.



    OS X 10.2 is a great update but this news, if true makes it meaningless in the real world.



    It's a disgrace.. nothing less............
  • Reply 74 of 300
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,146member




    There are you people happy? Enough with the Manic Depressive posts!





    Please!!!!!



    [ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: hmurchison ]</p>
  • Reply 75 of 300
    Next person to use the smiley in here gets their posting access turned off for a day.



    It's a ****ing computer. Get over it.
  • Reply 76 of 300
    [quote]Originally posted by Moonraker:

    <strong>If this is the true speed bumps without a decent DDR boost it is simply the biggest load of BS Apple has ever spilled. Pure and Simple............



    For all you saying " it's all right really" need help. Me I waited since last year to update. Jobs could stick this up his arse and I will go buy a PC until he sorts this fiasco out.



    OS X 10.2 is a great update but this news, if true makes it meaningless in the real world.



    It's a disgrace.. nothing less............</strong><hr></blockquote>





    Enjoy your date with the Dell Dude, Dude. Don't trip over your skirt on the way out.... <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" />
  • Reply 76 of 300
    toofeutoofeu Posts: 73member
    [quote]Originally posted by Agent Cooper:

    <strong>

    Bottom line - I'm buying a PowerMac when they're announced tomorrow. And so are quite a few of you. If you want to wait - coolio. If you want to switch to PC so you can have a 3Ghz peice of garbage that processes Wintel vomit </strong><hr></blockquote>



    SWITCH You said the magic word!!!!



    We need to enlarge the base of mac users!!! The more we'll be the stronger we are!!!

    We are not living in a closed world apart from the reality of the market!!

    We need to have a solid base of users in order to push programmers to develop applications on our platform.

    Do you really think that more people will go to the mac with those pricing and specifications???

    The megahertz gap is a reality for normal people and believe me, if they compare a pricey mac running at 1ghtz against a cheap 3ghtz wintel box the choice will not be at our advantage.



    <img src="graemlins/hmmm.gif" border="0" alt="[Hmmm]" />
  • Reply 76 of 300
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,146member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

    <strong>Next person to use the smiley in here gets their posting access turned off for a day.



    It's a ****ing computer. Get over it.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Thank you Jonathan!!!



    <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" /> <img src="graemlins/lol.gif" border="0" alt="[Laughing]" /> <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
  • Reply 79 of 300
    [quote]Originally posted by Moonraker:

    <strong>If this is the true speed bumps without a decent DDR boost it is simply the biggest load of BS Apple has ever spilled. Pure and Simple............



    For all you saying " it's all right really" need help. Me I waited since last year to update. Jobs could stick this up his arse and I will go buy a PC until he sorts this fiasco out.



    OS X 10.2 is a great update but this news, if true makes it meaningless in the real world.



    It's a disgrace.. nothing less............</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I agree, BTW 10.2 is finaly getting where it should have been 1 year ago . i've been waiting 3 years now for a decent upgrade. I will pass this one also .



    [ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: salty chips ]</p>
  • Reply 79 of 300
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    [quote]

    It's a ****ing computer. <hr></blockquote>



    maybe to you. to me its a vital tool that allows me to create things and generally live a happy life since i get to do what i love for a living. compared to a office worker hack or a guy at macdonalds i feel lucky. its the mac that is the the tool that allows for that.
Sign In or Register to comment.