4. iceland = unannounced internet phones, w/ ichat AV integration

3 for 4 is not bad, eh?

-allen

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Hey allenmcjones! Long time no see!

Yes, indeed, very well done!

And who knows, might be 4 out of 4 in the end? I suspect iceland won't happen before the H.264 codec, i.e. before Tiger. If we're lucky iceland might happen somewhen in 2005.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    allenmcjones, any other news?
  • Reply 3 of 42
    hehe, yes, tons of new info coming soon. Very soon. Be prepared to be blown away.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Excellent!

It's good to have you back! Thanks for dropping in.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i'm confused

was info exchanged that i missed out on?
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i'm confused

No need to be confused. You registered long after allenmcjones last posted, which was pretty much 2 years ago, so you probably don't remember him.

Back then he had some really cool infos. Just do a search on 'allenmcjones'. He alluded to several code names of secret Apple projects. And now, 2 years later, 3 out of 4 of his predictions actually did happen, with a chance that the 4th might too.

So I'm just happy to see him back and excited with anticipation.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    "tons of new info coming soon. Very soon. Be prepared to be blown away"

That's going to ruin my sleep for a while . . .
  • Reply 8 of 42
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    amj, yes a long while. any more infos to keep our spirits up in these grim times
  • Reply 9 of 42
    rlindemanrlindeman Posts: 39member
    How long do we have to wait for "very soon"?
  • Reply 10 of 42
    zab the fabzab the fab Posts: 303member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

"tons of new info coming soon. Very soon. Be prepared to be blown away"

That's going to ruin my sleep for a while . . .

..it's just pure evil I tell ya' ....PURE EVIL !
  • Reply 11 of 42
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I hope the "clarity" of the info is a bit better.

Lucida- all that nonsense about an underater camera

Wolf- Anyone could have said Xgrid was coming. NeXT was working on Zilla for a while before acquiring Apple<tsk tsk>

Glove- Initial reports were aimed at flexible licensing for business. A 5 client "home" version doesn't instill confidence in me that this "hint" was all that correct.

Truth is you guys have been spouting this stuff for a while and while Apple's had some cool things I haven't been truly "Amazed" at much yet. I think for the next go'round I'll use my own intuition on this one. I'm likely to be just as accurate.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Truth is you guys have been spouting this stuff for a while and while Apple's had some cool things I haven't been truly "Amazed" at much yet. I think for the next go'round I'll use my own intuition on this one. I'm likely to be just as accurate.

The easiest way, I figure, to determine what Apple will release next is to look at what products have just come out in any of the new emerging areas. Make it white, add a cool ease-of-use feature, and there you have it - an Apple prediction that's likely to bear fruit.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Make a broad-based prediction based on general knowledge of what rumor sites have been saying. Wait a year or two and assign those predicitions to products released. Ummmm. There's a sucker born every minute, the old saying goes. Nostradamus lives!!
  • Reply 14 of 42
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    I dont know of any announcments Steve has made denying an Apple Phone, but boy would that be sweet. It really is a perfect step. And what the hell were all of those tiny color screens Apple was purchasing really for? iPod 2? Damn would I love a multinetwork iSync capable Apple Phone (with iChat and too many other cool features to begin hoping for).
  • Reply 15 of 42
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    you know apple now will produce a phone, I just shelled out the money and bought a sony ericsson phone with bluetooth.

Fine, Jokes on me guys release that gsm/ apple phone now.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Wolf- Anyone could have said Xgrid was coming. NeXT was working on Zilla for a while before acquiring Apple<tsk tsk>

Indeed Apple was very public about the fact clustering was coming.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Didn't "Glove" have more to do with corporate licensing at the server level (unlimited client licensing)? That did come to fruition.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Hey guys, this "unannounced internet phones, w/ ichat AV integration" - that is not a cell phone. That is a handset with a keypad that connects to the Mac either via FireWire or USB, allowing you to place calls with SIP or H.323 to other Internet users.

Gizmos like this exist (e.g. the SIPphone that Michael Robertson is plugging) but, like pre-iPod MP3 players, they're cumbersome and don't work very well.

I expect Apple's version will be much better engineered, have flawless software support, and work beautifully.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Didn't allenmcjones post a fake picture of a purported "Lucida" digital camera that looked like a tape measure with a screen on the side or was that someone else? Off to use the search function but the image is probably long gone...
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by allenmcjones

"I can be tracked, so I won't stay after this posting.

Lucida has been mentioned here before but not by name. Its a combination of a number of threads. It is a digital camera/camcorder. It is designed for the consumer market and it was "also" designed to float in water and can be submerged to quite some depth. Recreation diving is huge and these underwater features was a small engineering task to a grab this large explosive market (digital camera/camcorders). It will blow you away.

I'll be back soon."

-Allen

As I suspected the "Lucida" picture is long gone. This other guy was a lot closer to the iSight though...

Quote:

Originally posted by BobtheTomato

Here's my own insane composition for a waterproof combo video/still camera:

Funny how in jest BobtheTomato came so close to the actual product.