Has anyone recieved their Airport Express?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    g4 mang4 man Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally posted by elron

G4 Man, are you using it as a wireless access point? Could you talk about what kind of range it gets? I don't see an antenna on it so I'm a little skeptical but it's just so cool I'll probably end up buying one anyway

Okay, the range is excellent. I stepped out of my house just now and walked to the sidewalk by the street and still had 2 bars of reception and could "internet" pretty quickly. This is about 60-70 feet from the Airport Express access point. I then walked across the street to the opposite sidewalk. I was amazed that I still had 1 bar and the internet was not half bad. This was about 130-140 feet from the AE.

Before the Airport Express, I had NO reception even frm my front porch. I'm pleased with this purchase.

Joe
  • Reply 22 of 33
    G4 Man (and any other AE owners), how is the audio quality? I understand that Air Tunes converts the music to the lossless format to stream it? Are your rips in lossless to begin with or at what bit rate did you rip and how does it sound??

Lucky dawg...
  • Reply 23 of 33
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G4 Man

Okay, the range is excellent. I stepped out of my house just now and walked to the sidewalk by the street and still had 2 bars of reception and could "internet" pretty quickly. This is about 60-70 feet from the Airport Express access point. I then walked across the street to the opposite sidewalk. I was amazed that I still had 1 bar and the internet was not half bad. This was about 130-140 feet from the AE.

Before the Airport Express, I had NO reception even frm my front porch. I'm pleased with this purchase.

Joe

maybe the reception is also helped because of the base station?

could you maybe try plugging the ethernet straight to the airport express?
  • Reply 24 of 33
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Pays to order fast - mine was waiting for me at work when I arrived.

Now it's time to start saving so I can order fast on Aug 31st.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

Pays to order fast - mine was waiting for me at work when I arrived.

Now it's time to start saving so I can order fast on Aug 31st.

Mine arrived:

rating **** out of 5

First impressions- nice box didn't use any MS trademarks showed a "W" for compatability with windows and said "For Mac and PC"

simple set up plugged it into stereo using headphone jack (must get special apple toslink cable)

plugged in ethernet

ran setup (5min including restart)

unplugged the laptop and connected to wireless network

web surfed- speed good 15' from airport 3 bars on meter

fired up itunes sounds great

fired up salling clicker

heaven!

moved powerbook to far end of 2 bedroom apt in manhattan

signal strengh dropped web speed still good

itunes skipped only when surfing at same time-

factors to consider-

airport in closet behind stereo

steel studs in walls in apt building

lots of cables around airport
  • Reply 26 of 33
    crowescrowes Posts: 13member
    Ordered mine on July 1 and the web site still indicates that it is to be shipped on or before 07/15.

Hoping it gets shipped sooner rather than later.

If they really sold 80,000 units, WOW, I may not get mine until August.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Mine arrived:

rating **** out of 5

Congrats! Glad to hear it works well.

One quick question if you have a little time on your hands... Could you please check to see if there is a way to turn off SSID broadcasting on the Airport Express? I hear the Airport Extreme stations support it so I'm wondering if the Express ones do, too...

Thanks!
  • Reply 28 of 33
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Mine was supposed to ship 2day 07/15 and I made my order on June 10th. Nothing happened yet and here it's 10.08 PM. Anyone here in Europe got theirs? Maybe US orders will ship first? Anyway, at least they could send me some mail or update the online "order status" page and tell me for how long I have to wait! Well, they still have almost 2 hours :S
  • Reply 29 of 33
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Fu*k!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got this nice little mail!!! I'm sure they didn't know this until today?? And they're already shipping it to people who made their orders at much later date!!!! Fyck you Apple

Quote:

Dear Apple Store Customer,

Thank you for ordering the new Airport Express!

We are very excited about the response to this great new product!

Unfortunately we cannot meet the previously estimated ship date for this

product and we now expect to ship your order by July 30th, 2004.

If you would like to track your order, please visit our Order Status website at

https://store.apple.com/Your/WebObje...rStatusEurope.

Once your order has dispatched, you will receive a Shipment Notification email, which

will enable you to track your order.

Your business is very important to us, and we apologise for any inconvenience

that this change may cause.

Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store.

Kind regards,

The Apple Store Team

• Reply 30 of 33
    Apple was kind enough to promise shipping by 7/15, then just today change my ship date to 7/23 instead. WHY DO YOU DO THIS APPLE? You'd think by now they'd realize they NEVER have enough quantity on hand to meet their estimated ship dates.

Hello? Anybody home? Time to wake up and increase production before shipping!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 31 of 33
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Somebody with a third-party AP who DEFINITELY knows how to set up WDS, please attempt to.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    crowescrowes Posts: 13member
    I received the same email just now indicating that mine will be shipped on or before 07/23.

I am really p***ed off about this.

However, the Apple Store team really doesn't care because we continue to buy anyway.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Somebody with a third-party AP who DEFINITELY knows how to set up WDS, please attempt to.

Looks like you can't, because the only interface to do WDS is through a special config wizard that only discovers AirPort Extreme Base Stations. No manual MAC addy entry.