Tiger - very slow indexing with spotlight?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    The file system is the same; they just (finally) made use of some of HFS+'s real advanced features.

The Metadata is stored in *drumroll* "/.Metadata", a hidden folder containing three binary database and configuration files.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

The file system is the same; they just (finally) made use of some of HFS+'s real advanced features.

The Metadata is stored in *drumroll* "/.Metadata", a hidden folder containing three binary database and configuration files.

Well, that makes sense. Me happy now.

It makes a lot of sense to put the stuff in a couple of binaries in the same location, such that the OS doesn't have to traul around on the HD finding meta-data for specific files that may be on different sectors and/or different cylinders. This may be one contributing factor to why Spotlight is so much faster than Panther's indexing and searching capabilities.

Thanks. m.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

How is that making use of HFS+'s advanced features? Surely any file system that can store files (which is of course all of them) could create a central location and store metadata databases there. Unless you were being sarcastic in which case I look pretty stupid now.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    I ran the OSinstall package file and installed Tiger to my 20 gig iPod so that I would not affect my main Panther installation. It indexed both the files on the iPod (which was just my music, that's hidden files to the iPod anyway) and on my hard drive in a split second. It runs fine, and it can pinpoint anything in an instant.

If anyone has an iPod, just try it like that. It loads up the basic programs for the OS, and you won't take a chance of messing anything up on your main install. I mean, it is a beta (for instance, Safari 2 will not look at https web sites), so I would not use it as your main OS.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    I had a problem with 10.3.5 where my Superdrive stopped working. I could eject at restart and the profiler saw the drive but Panther did not. In a last ditch effort I inserted my Tiger DVD and held the C at startup... Worked fine! So for you guys playing with 10.3.5 watch out for this. Tiger seems pretty good so far. I had to reinstall some apps but wierd things like VPN software only.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Probably not, since Panther doesn't include Spotlight :P

Let me rephrase that: Can any of the Tiger Testers tell me...
  • Reply 27 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Let me rephrase that: Can any of the Tiger Testers tell me...

I *did* answer your question in that post