Buying my first mac - ibook or power book?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

ibook.....here why

Thanks for trying to sell me on the ibook. I think I am probably leaning that way. I would get use out of the superdrive on the powerbook, and I like the aluminium, but $462 is a big savings. They make getting a DVD recording drive too expensive IMHO.

I do not believe I will get Virtual PC because I have two new PCs I can use for Windows applications.

Oh the .mac subscription. If you buy it with the computer, do you still activate it yourself? If that is the case, the best thing to do would surely be using the 2 month free trial of .mac, and then activating the purchased year subsription when that expires, giving you 14 months for the now special price of just under $70. Would that work?

Is the 100MB online storage secure storage, or is the uploading/downloading process not secure? I woudln't want to be sending anything too important if it is not secure.

I guess the other option I could do to help afford the Powerbook would be to sell the ipod. I'm going to get the $200 rebate for buying a notebook and an ipod. I wanted the ipod, but instead I could cut off the UPC, never open it, and sell it on Ebay. Even without the UPC, surely it would go for over $200? Then I would profit about $135 on a 15 gig ipod (with the $200 sale and the $200 rebate), so that $135 would help bring down my costs on the Power Book.

I have an Apple account, but I'm going to try to pay the notebook off during the 90 days same as cash period. I have a scholarship paying for a big chunk of the notebook, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I could always get an ipod in the future (maybe a mini or the new generation soon to be released). I borrowed one for a month back in the spring, and after the first few days, I didn't even use it. So, it isn't like I'm dying to have an ipod immediately. However, if I go with the ibook, I would keep the ipod without question. It is a great toy.

• Reply 22 of 29
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If you compare the 12" PowerBook with a Combo Drive and not a Super Drive, the price difference is far less. $200+ dollars for more CPU, a faster bus, higher max ram, and more, its worth it. Last I looked, you saved about $160 dropping the Super Drive.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Will the ibook work without problem if you put a 512 stick of PC2700 in it? At Crucial.com, the PC2100 they offer officially for the ibook is $137.99, but the PC2700 they offer for the Powerbook 12 inch is only $106.99.

I often do this sort of thing with PCs, but I wanted to make sure it was no problem on a mac too. For one reason being, I would have thought Crucial would list the cheaper PC2700 on the ibook page if it was compatible, since list the cheapter compatible option for PCs.

Thanks.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Thanks for trying to sell me on the ibook. I think I am probably leaning that way. I would get use out of the superdrive on the powerbook, and I like the aluminium, but $462 is a big savings. They make getting a DVD recording drive too expensive IMHO.

I do not believe I will get Virtual PC because I have two new PCs I can use for Windows applications.

Oh the .mac subscription. If you buy it with the computer, do you still activate it yourself? If that is the case, the best thing to do would surely be using the 2 month free trial of .mac, and then activating the purchased year subsription when that expires, giving you 14 months for the now special price of just under $70. Would that work?

Is the 100MB online storage secure storage, or is the uploading/downloading process not secure? I woudln't want to be sending anything too important if it is not secure.

I guess the other option I could do to help afford the Powerbook would be to sell the ipod. I'm going to get the $200 rebate for buying a notebook and an ipod. I wanted the ipod, but instead I could cut off the UPC, never open it, and sell it on Ebay. Even without the UPC, surely it would go for over $200? Then I would profit about $135 on a 15 gig ipod (with the $200 sale and the $200 rebate), so that $135 would help bring down my costs on the Power Book.

I have an Apple account, but I'm going to try to pay the notebook off during the 90 days same as cash period. I have a scholarship paying for a big chunk of the notebook, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I could always get an ipod in the future (maybe a mini or the new generation soon to be released). I borrowed one for a month back in the spring, and after the first few days, I didn't even use it. So, it isn't like I'm dying to have an ipod immediately. However, if I go with the ibook, I would keep the ipod without question. It is a great toy.

GO IBOOK- SUPER DRIVE IS AVAILIBLE ON TOP MODEL
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

GO IBOOK- SUPER DRIVE IS AVAILIBLE ON TOP MODEL

The only problem is that I need a 12 inch, and superdrive is not available on the 12 inch ibook.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    reddingoreddingo Posts: 21member
    Well you could get an external DVD burner.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by RedDingo

Well you could get an external DVD burner.

Can you use imovie and idvd with an external DVD burner?
  • Reply 28 of 29
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    From my experience as a switcher, I went with the 667 15" PB 2 years ago to "save money". Not the fastest, no SuperDrive, etc, Two months ago I replaced it with the top of the line 15" - loaded up on everything, but memory. What I found was that I wanted to do more with a Mac than I every dreamed of on a PC. That led to wanting more power, more memory, SuperDrive and all the other goodies.

The difference in costs between an iBook and PB is not that much when you spread it over 2 or 3 years on a monthly basis. I would look at that difference and not the difference in initial costs. If you compare the two and include SuperDrive, AirPort and all of the other extra features they are very close.

If you are like me (a "switcher") I think that you are going to find that you prefer selling your old notebook instead of the iPod. What use is it when you have a Mac? You'll be able to load all your CDs into the Mac and carry them around on your iPod. Lets you leave the CDs at home and save space in the dorm.

You're also going to fall in love with Macs and eventually try to figure out how you can sell your PC and put money down on a Powermac or the new iMac that is coming out at the end of August. Macs are SO good that yoiu will care less about the PC world, except maybe for games.

What else did I do? Spent money like a drunken sailor. Just loved the Mac and wanted to try a lot of things. My bet is that you'll:

Get a wireless keyboard and mouse for working at your desk.

Buy Office (student version - and not the newest version as it has a couple of problems). That will take care of writing papers AND delivering them in a format the profs like.

Discover Griffin Technology and buy:

- an iCurve

- a PowerMate

- an iMic so you can convert old LPs

Decide that Airport Express is what you really want so you can hook up your speakers.

Consider iSight. If you are going away you'll be showing the parents how they can get an eMac and 2 iSights and they'll be able to see you on the screen and not have to pay for long distance phone charges. (That would happen about the time of Christmas holidays.)

Play with digital pictures and movies - great fun and it keeps parents (like me) happy.

Try different bits of software for the hell of it.

Then you'll start thinking of a Mac for the desktop. By spring you'll have sold the PC and old notebook and will have plans for a summer job to get the rest of the money needed. (I'm planning on ordering an iMac the day it is released late next month.)

Get ready to have a great time with your Mac, whichever one you get) andall the very best in college.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    I ordered the 12-inch ibook. I feel sick for some reason now. I hate spending money like that I guess, but it will be a nice tool. I'm just not sure I needed it since I have my PCs, but I figure it is good to know the mac operating system.

I got the 60 gig hard drive, airport extreme card, and bluetooth. My current mobile phone doesn't have bluetooth, but the one I'm eyeing does, so that will be nice.

I did not order extra RAM from Apple, but I did order a 512 stick from Crucial right now. I ordered PC2700 since it was cheaper. A person with Apple told me the PC2700 should work, but do you guys know? If not, I will return it and get PC2100, but I hope the PC2700 works.

Thanks for all the feedback. I hope I made the right selection. For some reason, it didn't even give me the option for expedited shipping, so we'll see how quick everything gets here. I also got the .mac promotional bundle for $69.99 and an ipod.