Who's going to buy the G5 iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It's announced that it will be a G5 and released & delivered in September.

Knowing that, how is actually going to buy one immediately, a bit later, or wait for rev b?

What's it going to take to get you to buy?

I've been waiting since the first of the year for a 20" iMac and am ready to pull the trigger the first hour they are released.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    If I could have waited, I would have purchased an imac the first day. However, I didn't want to wait two more months for my first mac. Plus, what if they take several weeks to ship or something even when they do start offering them? I wanted to order a mac now, so I got the ibook.

So, unless I win the lottery, I will not be getting one of the new imacs in the next several years. haha
  • Reply 2 of 53
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Seeing as how the next iMac is a G5 I'm definitely buying it. However looking at my relatively poor fundage it's looking like the Rev B is going to be my first opportunity.

I need something fast enough to edit video with Final Cut Pro on and the iMac G5 should be fine.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Seeing as how the next iMac is a G5 I'm definitely buying it. However looking at my relatively poor fundage it's looking like the Rev B is going to be my first opportunity.

I need something fast enough to edit video with Final Cut Pro on and the iMac G5 should be fine.

actually a G4 iMac is more than fast enough to edit video in Final Cut, just FYI.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Depends on how future proof I think it is. And how it's priced

if I can get a solid machine that will last me 2-3 years with no problem for around 1400 I'm sold. If not, I can wait a bit longer.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

actually a G4 iMac is more than fast enough to edit video in Final Cut, just FYI.

No doubt but the eventual plan is to run a damn near all Apple workflow with FCP5, DVDSP 4, Logic 7 and Motion. So while the G4 is nice I'm hitchin' my wagon to the G5 train.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

No doubt but the eventual plan is to run a damn near all Apple workflow with FCP5, DVDSP 4, Logic 7 and Motion. So while the G4 is nice I'm hitchin' my wagon to the G5 train.

NO DOUBT!!!

sorry for the off topic,

but have you heard any news about when for logic 7?
  • Reply 7 of 53
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'll want to see what it actually is, first, but I'm definitely interested.

I bought the Cube because I wanted an LCD iMac, but the iMac didn't have an LCD. It's getting old enough to be retired to server/eye candy duty, and an LCD iMac could be a great replacement.

Whether I can afford it is another question, especially now that I'm about to become a homeowner.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    If it is AIO, count me out. For those that say upgrading doesn't matter, it does to me. At home I have a 7500 with a Sonnet upgrade card, upgraded ATI Rage video card, and a firewire/USB upgrade card and an aging Radius monitor. Need to upgrade that monitor, soon. And no, I'm not a computer geek - these upgrades are not that hard(at least in a 7500), I just read the instructions and did it.

If forced to, I will just continue saving until I can afford a low end tower, which will be a long long time. For my modest home video needs I will continue to use my laptop, not ideal, but that's life with Apple.

Even though I use Apple computers, I'm am not part of their target market and as long as Steve Jobs is obsessed with his "computer is an appliance" philosophy I probably never will be in their target market.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

Knowing that, how is actually going to buy one immediately, a bit later, or wait for rev b?

I've been waiting since the first of the year for a 20" iMac and am ready to pull the trigger the first hour they are released.

If Apple do it in colours and there's an anodized pink version then I'll buy one for my Mum to replace her well used 400MHz Strawberry iMac.

-Ed
  • Reply 10 of 53
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I couldn't wait and bought a G5 tower back in March. If it comes out and is reasonably priced and well-featured, I might consider selling the tower and buying it - the tower is huge, but I'm getting used to it.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

If it is AIO, count me out. For those that say upgrading doesn't matter, it does to me. At home I have a 7500 with a Sonnet upgrade card, upgraded ATI Rage video card, and a firewire/USB upgrade card and an aging Radius monitor. Need to upgrade that monitor, soon. And no, I'm not a computer geek - these upgrades are not that hard(at least in a 7500), I just read the instructions and did it.

If forced to, I will just continue saving until I can afford a low end tower, which will be a long long time. For my modest home video needs I will continue to use my laptop, not ideal, but that's life with Apple.

Even though I use Apple computers, I'm am not part of their target market and as long as Steve Jobs is obsessed with his "computer is an appliance" philosophy I probably never will be in their target market.

Until you can afford a low end tower? Yet you spend money on Sonnet upgrade cards and video card upgrades as well as firewire/USB ports.

If you hadn't spent all that money on upgrades, you would have been able to afford the low end tower.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Until you can afford a low end tower? Yet you spend money on Sonnet upgrade cards and video card upgrades as well as firewire/USB ports.

If you hadn't spent all that money on upgrades, you would have been able to afford the low end tower.

NO, NOT EVEN CLOSE. Sonnet G4 400MHz upgrade card $239, ATI Rage Pro upgrade card ~$80, USB/Firewire card ~$60. Let's see a low end tower is $1999. Upgrading extended the life of the 7500 3-4 years, so far. Yes, it's slower and I'm forced to use my laptop to do a lot of what I should be doing on a desktop. But $1999 - $379 = $1620.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    I'm In!

I've been waiting to replace my aging, yet trusty B&W G3 for some time now, and G5 is the way. Still waiting to see the final outcome and priceing, but i'm pretty sure that i will pull the trigger in the first hour as well.

where are all the leaks? This thing must be in production by now!
  • Reply 14 of 53
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

it's also a matter of cash flow and getting stuff done. sure, that money could have been saved up, but if a slightly faster processor is needed today, and you have just enough money now to buy that upgrade, but not enough to buy a whole new computer, and the work has to get done, then an upgrade seems like the correct path to choose.

personally, i just want the option or expandability/upgradeability... helps me sleep at night.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    For people looking for a cheap machine now, my local comp usa had Powermac 1.6's for 1400 on the weekend. I dont think the new iMac will be much better ( 1.8 maybe ) and certainly not as expandable.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    wooferwoofer Posts: 25member
    I have a TAM (20th Annv. Mac) since 1997. I'm ready for a new computer and the new imac may be the one. I'm sure it is going to be a great performing product and look great too. Anxious to see it and read the specs.

Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

• Reply 17 of 53
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by woofer

I have a TAM (20th Annv. Mac) since 1997. I'm ready for a new computer and the new imac may be the one. I'm sure it is going to be a great performing product and look great too. Anxious to see it and read the specs.

That is an awesome Mac, I wish I had the money when those came out. Also wish I bought a cube.

-Ed
  • Reply 18 of 53
    wooferwoofer Posts: 25member
    From all the speculation of what this new imac will look like, it appears that it may look a bit like the old TAM. I don't mind the all in one design, but I can see the advantage to a removable monitor.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Personally, no I won't be buying (I loves my PowerBook too much and it more than does what I need it to).

But I WILL be recommending the hell out of them to several family members and on-the-fence types I know, plus a buddy who's still using a 300MHz blue-and-white tower. She's quite a talented artist and very into Photoshop and Painter, so she might appreciate the two-generation leap in chips, not to mention the 500-600% increase in MHz. She'd put it to good use!

On just a non-selfish, "wanna be happy for everyone and Apple" note, I hope these new things are jaw-dropping in price, performance and style and help Apple recapture some of that wonderful 1998-1999 magic and vibe. Those were great times and I hope these new ones fly off the shelves and cause as much stir as the original jellybean did (tall order, I know).

Can't wait to see 'em...
  • Reply 20 of 53
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I will probably never buy an iMac again, unless they make it upgradeable and headless. :-)