New 23" Cinema Displays are becoming available.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    ok so looks like ill go with frys

they have an excellent return policy as well

& they ignore apple's moronic 15% restock fee

im surprised the apple store wont let you check a product

before a purchase.

these arnt cheap products so what wrong with testing

it before it goes out the door

anyone managed to test anything in a local apple store ?

esp in san diego ?
  • Reply 22 of 75
    herbherb Posts: 7member
    So for all us groovy cats using dual monitors, I have a useability question.

I'm tired of having to pick up my mouse after scrolling across my desk to put the cursor on the other monitor. So is there a little app that, via a keyboard command, will automagically put the cursor on the other monitor?

Thanks
  • Reply 23 of 75
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

ok so looks like ill go with frys

they have an excellent return policy as well

& they ignore apple's moronic 15% restock fee

im surprised the apple store wont let you check a product

before a purchase.

these arnt cheap products so what wrong with testing

it before it goes out the door

anyone managed to test anything in a local apple store ?

esp in san diego ?

you can just open new product, break the packaging seals and test it out. that would be a disaster.

plus, apple's policy is 4 or 5 dead pixels or 3 in the same area. so you cant open it and see one and say you dont want it.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

you can just open new product, break the packaging seals and test it out. that would be a disaster.

plus, apple's policy is 4 or 5 dead pixels or 3 in the same area. so you cant open it and see one and say you dont want it.

i think you mean you can't

i think ill take my business to fry's

it doesnt have the 15% restock rubbish

i agree with the part of not opening something

but if apple didnt have stupid restock policies

then it wouldnt be an issue

$2000 is quite a bit of money

for me it comes down to this...

its a lot of cash

im the customer & customer satisfaction should be #1

i shouldnt have to pay a good amt only to discover

a faulty product & then battle the company & then pay

15% on top of that.

my 2c

thanks for all the responses from everyone

i will check out compusa as well
  • Reply 25 of 75
    I've been researching the 23" Cinema Displays for a while now and can't find concrete reviews on it. I see some of you lucky people have them, can I have some questions answered please?

How heavy is it?

What's it like for HD stuff (movies, tv, etc)

Main question;

Is it fine for games? I noticed Cake is using Ut2004 on it, I need to know if this monitor is any good for gaming, I will be using it mainly for gaming and if it's good I will fork out the AUD$3300 for it.

Thanks in advance everyone. Oh, and can some more screenies of your monitors be posted, they are awesome! 8)
  • Reply 26 of 75
    Just got my 23" Cinema Display today!!!!!

Absolutly gorgeous!

I love this thing and it works well with DVDs and UT2004 so far!
  • Reply 27 of 75
    fugimaxfugimax Posts: 31member
    anthony --

I've been using my 23" to play Quake3 while I wait for my G5 and Doom3.

Technically, the monitor is great for gaming. 1920x1200 resolution and 16ms rise/fall times. It will take a bit of getting used to though. First off, it's widescreen format. Secondly, it's huge. When I first fired up Q3, I was *so* disoriented. I was sitting too close to the monitor, and wasn't used to having such a wide view in Q3. It was like pseudo-peripheral vision.

That being said, once I learned to sit back and not get lost in the size of the screen, everything was great. I've had no issues with "ghosting" or "motion-blur."

Before this I had a Planar PX171M which was also great for gaming. This monitor is crisper and bigger. If you want an LCD fit for gaming, the 23" will satisfy you easily.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    edit: removed pictures
  • Reply 29 of 75
    Thanks for that! Were getting them here soon (in Australia) and I can't wait to test drive one and take it home. Looking forward to it bigtime.

Oh and for the resolution concious people, use Powerstrip it will let you have custom resolutions
  • Reply 30 of 75
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anthony256

Oh and for the resolution concious people, use Powerstrip it will let you have custom resolutions

only one is native though, so the others will look crappy
  • Reply 31 of 75
    has anyone had luck with convincing a manager to let you check it for dead pixels at an apple store? I went to two here in CO, and they both told me to shove off. I'm really hesitant to spend that much on a display to have it be flawed.

Has ANYONE had any dead pixels yet?
  • Reply 32 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by feverishaaron

has anyone had luck with convincing a manager to let you check it for dead pixels at an apple store? I went to two here in CO, and they both told me to shove off. I'm really hesitant to spend that much on a display to have it be flawed.

Has ANYONE had any dead pixels yet?

shop at frys or compusa

see posts above
  • Reply 33 of 75
    Ok, you guys are freaking me out with all this talk about dead pixels. I never owned a LCD, but I'm about to purchase the 23". I'm kind of ignorant on this subject matter...help me out.

How and what is the easiest way to check for dead pixels? Even if there's none now, can it come like a year or couple of years later? I mean how obvious is it on screen?

Can you not ask the retailer if you can exchange it should you find it at home? What's the policy on that?

Thanks.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    jasonljasonl Posts: 3member
    For memebers using the 23" Cinema Display with a Windows system, what graphics card are you using? I want to use the 23" with a pc to do Revit (CAD program) and I want to make sure it works.

Many thanks in advance.

Jason
  • Reply 35 of 75
    kcom2006kcom2006 Posts: 69member

Kirksville, MO - Northeast Regional Medical Center

Here are some pictures of my New 23" Cinema HD Display that I received in the mail yesterday! Absolutly Zero Dead Pixels! Now all I'm waiting for is my G5 2.5 6800 PowerMac...

23" Cinema HD Display

23" Cinema HD Display

23" Cinema HD Display

23" Cinema HD Display
  • Reply 36 of 75
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jasonl

For memebers using the 23" Cinema Display with a Windows system, what graphics card are you using? I want to use the 23" with a pc to do Revit (CAD program) and I want to make sure it works.

Many thanks in advance.

Jason

I'm using a ATi 9800 Pro.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    Thanks for the scoop on CompUSA! We don't have a frys here, unfortunately. It's scary how much I miss that place, now that I've moved away from one.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    republicrepublic Posts: 168member
    Glorious. Just glorious.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    Man I am so jealous.. that just looks amazing! I was in the Apple Store West Farms the other night because I wanted to check out the new iPods, and for whatever reason I had yet to see the new displays. Man they are just simply a work of art. I really want one, but I have no reason to justify one just yet. Maybe if I can get a little more freelance work I can justify it.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    nerudaneruda Posts: 440member
    Looking at these 23" monitors makes me wonder just how gorgeous the 30" model must be?