Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Off to Digital Hub we go!
  • Reply 22 of 35
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cpenzone

I thought this was kind of a lame update personally but apparently a few of you are excited about it

Its a small update for sure. But what Apple is aiming at right now is perfection within the current dogma. And they are pretty close to 100%

Its becoming pretty ridicules to put larger HDs in it now (unless you begin to go for loseless), the screen is perfect for what it is used for, the menu was given a tune up, so was the controls (they alone are now at 100%) and battery life.

All they need now is 64 ram and a modest price drop. Then they hit bulls eye. anything else would be a shift in what the iPod is.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Does anyone know if iPods still have that brief gap between tracks on mix cd's?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Its a small update for sure. But what Apple is aiming at right now is perfection within the current dogma. And they are pretty close to 100%

Its becoming pretty ridicules to put larger HDs in it now (unless you begin to go for loseless), the screen is perfect for what it is used for, the menu was given a tune up, so was the controls (they alone are now at 100%) and battery life.

All they need now is 64 ram and a modest price drop. Then they hit bulls eye. anything else would be a shift in what the iPod is.

Brilliantly put. 64 RAM is a must if they didn't already (perhaps that's why the battery is better?)

You're right stick with music. But in that vein I've always wondered why it doesn't have two things:

LINE IN/MIC and FM radio. Recording would be sweet for college classes. And if you can record, and it has radio, you can record radio! I bet that would infuriate the RIAA and labels though and they'd kill iTMS. Like I said by the time they add recording I'll be outta college!

HE-AAC would effectively double the space again, just like MP4 compared to MP3. The theory goes that a 32 HE-AAC sounds like a 64kbps MP4 which sounds like a 128kpbs MP3 which is the standard acceptable quality.

The mini looks pricey now. Can't wait to see it get cheaper/upgraded soon.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    The only good thing about this new update, down here in Australia, is that the price on the 40gb has dropped by about $150... other than that I really don't think that this is such a whiz bang release. hat is all the fuss about with the new scroll wheel? Buggered if I can work it out. Maybe I need to have a look at a mini to understand why they are so good (we finally get the mini's on July 24)

iDunno.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

What is all the fuss about with the new scroll wheel? Buggered if I can work it out.

I think it's just easier to use than the button configuration of the 3G iPod. There's more of a spatial relationship for the controls. Back and forward are left and right on the wheel. Menu is at the top and start/stop is at the bottom. Since your thumb is already on the wheel, there's no need to move it to those upper buttons. I could never figure out why Apple changed this after G1 and G2. I'm glad they came to their senses.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    What we have all forgot is another new hidden cost. Neither model comes with a remote. To get the remote we must spend $39 bucks more and get another set of headphones too. Kinda annoying and aggravating if you ask me. The 40 gig also has no case. Thats 80 bucks in stuff apple used to throw in so I dont see much of a discount.

I have a 2G 20 gig iPod thats been working great. I could use the extra storage to back up my computer like I used to but I think I'll hold off till a 60 gig one comes out. I just don't see the cost benefit now even with all the added features over my 2G model. I was on the edge and the $40 remote decided it for now.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i know apple had no intention whatsoever to be at macworld boston, but you know it MUST eat at IDG to know that, yes, THEY could have had this product announcement, had they just not pissed steve off.

i dunno, i found it interesting to think about...
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

My 40 is full, and my iTunes has 80GB of music, all ripped from my own CD's. Within the next two years I expect to have 100GB (I've got a new job and can finally afford to buy my usual 10 or more CD's a month).

How do you select which songs go onto your iPod within iTunes? I know you can check songs off but what if you want to listen to the whole library but only add certain songs to the iPod for playback. How do you do that? Thanks.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TOPGUN750

How do you select which songs go onto your iPod within iTunes? I know you can check songs off but what if you want to listen to the whole library but only add certain songs to the iPod for playback. How do you do that? Thanks.

Create a playlist called iPod List and drag the songs you want on your iPod to it. When your iPod is connected, click the iPod icon at the bottom of the iTunes window which brings up iPod preferences. Click the radio button which says "Automatically update selected playlists only" and chose only the playlists (in this case, iPod List) that you want on your iPod.

You can get creative and have a master iPod list, then other lists of favorites to which you drag songs from the master list. When you delete songs from the master list, they are automatically deleted from the sub-lists and removed from the iPod next time you connect it.

iTunes is quite an amazing program for organizing music!
  • Reply 31 of 35
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I just realized something. The iPod mini is only $50 less and a miniscule 1/5th the size of the next model up, the 20 gig iPod. How long does everyone think it will be for the mini to get updated?
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Well, does a higher capacity version of the iPod mini's HD even exist?