G5 iMac Video Card

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

Yeah but install Norton A/V and spy-ware software and add-blocker software and it becomes slower than the iMac, for sure. I couldn't believe the performance these programs suck out of a new computer.

Or instead of installing all your programs, you can just install Mozilla Firefox and make everything FASTER. I mean, why would you want to keep IE? But I digress-- we're off topic.

The iMac is targeted for the home, and home users are the ones playing games. DOOM 3 better be playable on the next iMac or there's going to be hell to pay. No way should a $1299 machine be UNABLE to run modern software... that's just ridiculous.
  • Reply 42 of 66
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by yikes600

No way should a $1299 machine be UNABLE to run modern software... that's just ridiculous.

Can a $1299 Windows machine play it?
  • Reply 43 of 66
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Can a $1299 Windows machine play it?

Of course.

-M
  • Reply 44 of 66
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    DOOM3 has some steep system requirements. It's really cutting close to the edge of being released before the hardware can keep up with it. There are many DOOM3 hardware tweaks listed around the web to optimize "unfavorable" Graphics cards, and processors to be able to play the game at a good enough level of performance. 1600x1200 is not necessary either. You can play at a lesser level. I did it with AAO for a long time. You may not see all the celebrated graphic wonders that is what is one of the things that sets this game apart, but you should still be able to play it with less than what is the suggested system minimum.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by moazam

Of course.

-M

Let me rephrase.

Can a $1299 Windows machine play it at at least 800x600 without dropping below 30 frames per second?
  • Reply 46 of 66
    Quote:

Let me rephrase.

Can a $1299 Windows machine play it at at least 800x600 without dropping below 30 frames per second?

Easily.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by yikes600

Or instead of installing all your programs, you can just install Mozilla Firefox and make everything FASTER. I mean, why would you want to keep IE? But I digress-- we're off topic.

The iMac is targeted for the home, and home users are the ones playing games. DOOM 3 better be playable on the next iMac or there's going to be hell to pay. No way should a $1299 machine be UNABLE to run modern software... that's just ridiculous.

i hate to say it, because i think the new imac's style will bump it past that price mark, but i agree. i am alos not sure why they don't make the imac's video card replaceable. i hate to break it to them, but teens* and college students (and even old 30 year-old farts like myself) would buy an imac if we knew we could curb obsolescence by a year with additional ram and new video output. heck, probably the only reason i sold my precious imac dv se was that the video finally could not keep up with what the programs aand os was throwing at it. yes, it could get work done, but i was missing out on a lot, too.

basically, my prediction is that there WILL be an imac capable of playing doom iii easily, BUT it will be above the $1299 water level. i'm betting $1499.

* edit: okay, so "teens" aren't usually the ones plunking down over a grand for anything, unless they have been mowing lawns like a mo'fo', so let'ss rephrase that to "teens would be able to make a better whiny case to their parents with this added feature."
  • Reply 48 of 66
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Let me rephrase.

the sad thing is "yes," but with caveats. basically a friend of mine told me that he and a freidn could build me a custom windows machine that would be blistering cutting edge gaming for that price. i'd just have to buy them the beer they would drink while they waited for windows to install on it once it was all fullly assembled. (and the parts, of course)

so it's possible, if you want to build-your-own-box, and possibly suffer from incompatible devices, etc. unless you really know what you're doing.
  • Reply 49 of 66
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Let me rephrase.

The answer is most likely yes. Right now for a little under $1300 you can get:

Dimension 8400

3.20GHz P4 (540 w HT) on 800 MHz bus

512MB Dual Channel DDR2

ATI Radeon? X800 SE 128MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out)

80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+RW/+R) w/double layer write capability

Now the above will make a very good gaming machine, but it will do better on direct X games than openGL, so if you want a computer just for doom 3 you would be better off with a:

Dell Dimension 4700 Series

3.0GHz P4 (540 w HT) on 800 MHz bus

512MB Dual Channel DDR2

160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

8 X DVD-RW

That costs $1000 which leaves $300 for a GeForce 6800, which will do much better in Doom 3 than a Radeon card (at least until ATi comes out with a driver optimized for Doom 3).
  • Reply 50 of 66
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

so it's possible, if you want to build-your-own-box

Sorry but no large tier 1 PC manufacturer should be compared to the white box market. It's easy to build boxes cheaper than HPs or even Dells if you so desire but it isn't the same sort of market.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

The answer is most likely yes. Right now for a little under $1300 you can get:

Dimension 8400

3.20GHz P4 (540 w HT) on 800 MHz bus

512MB Dual Channel DDR2

ATI Radeon? X800 SE 128MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out)

80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+RW/+R) w/double layer write capability

Don't forget, like it or not, the iMac integrates an LCD display.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    Lets not be silly. You *can* buy a Dell machine capable of playing Doom III at a decent resolution and frame rate for $1299, including an LCD monitor.

This is a non-issue, trying to deny it just makes one look petty and childish.

I suppose the real problem here is that everyone seems to be willing to assume that the new iMac will *not* be able to deal with Doom III.

-M
  • Reply 53 of 66
    resres Posts: 711member
    It is quite possible that the new iMac will be able to handle games like Doom 3.

Truthfully I'm hoping, that since Apple is making a big deal out of the next iMac, that the new version will have a G5 at 2GHz or faster and a good video card.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    by most accounts that I've heard, Doom 3 has been designed to be quite playable on older hardware.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    Wow, didn't mean to start a fight about it, I was just genuinely curious.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    A lot of different people buy Macs for a lot of different reasons. I doubt if Doom is the primary consideration for most people, even if it is important for some. Truth is, if the new G5 iMac doesn't handle Doom at a level that makes Doom lovers happy then they will probably put the game above the computer in making a purchasing decision. If you have friends that can build you a screamer faster and cheaper than a Dull (and will be around to give you support) then go for it.

As for Dull, it looks like everyone talking about non-Mac computers say "get a Dull". Dull has don a great job in planting the idea that they are the best option. In my mind they used to be. Before switching I had a few desk tops and a few laptops and their customer support was fantastic. Every time I called with a problem there were Dull guys who were eager to help me - it led to more Dull sales in the future.

Now Dull has dumped those guys that helped me and when I call I get someone in India who works for some company there and the number one goal is to get me off the line as fast as possible. They are reading from script books and, for me, the days of great support are long gone. I've had nothing but crap from them on a 2 year old computer - it's so bad that even after a reinstall of Windows it will periodically restart - just for the hell of it. I just set it to the side as I can't depend on it and it takes days to do a reformat and reinstall.

If you want to save $400 with a Dull go ahead - your luck might be better than mine.

So what is the new iMac? New engineering to address the first series of 90 nm G5 chips, which leads me to believe it will be engineered to handle faster chips in the future.

The iMac will probably be the only single processor G5 line for a while, so there may be some additional upgrading potential than the last series. I tend to think that it will be more like my new PB, where I was given the option of doubling memory on the graphic board for $50 or so.

What I would like to see is the same 2:1 FSB ratio, SATA HDs, and the same memory as the PM.

There is also a need to understand the wide market for the iMac. There is an important market at the lower end of the scale and I think Apple will address that in a reasonable manner. There are also others, like me, who are PB customers and would have purchased a 20" G4 iMac earlier this year if the G5 wasn't coming. I don't want a PM - the iMac will suit me very well. I do want the 20" screen and will pay for it as long as the economics are similar to the G4 version.

Lots of people who buy Macs and more coming in every day from the Windows world - they are called iPod owners. Apple faces a huge challenge in trying to deliver a dynamic product that excites as many people as possible. Regardless of how it play Doom I believe it will move its owners into the upcoming 64 bit computing world far faster and far better than any other option.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    There should have been a poll in this thread.

Hey moderator! Why don't you add a "Will the new iMac be able to handle DOOM3?" Poll to this thread?
  • Reply 58 of 66
    Mark my words. Jobs will come out with an iMac G5 demoing Doom3.. everyone will ooh and aah.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by joshbuddy

Mark my words. Jobs will come out with an iMac G5 demoing Doom3.. everyone will ooh and aah.

DOOM3 isn't coming to the Mac until the Linux version is completed.

I wouldn't bet on it.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

DOOM3 isn't coming to the Mac until the Linux version is completed.

Where did you get this idea?