14" iBook owners: Need feedback.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Getting a new notebook for college. Considering 14" iBook or low-end TiBook.

Here are some of my observations:

The 14" iBook's 700MHz 750FX is almost as fast as the TiBook's 667MHz 7455.

14" iBook costs $700 less than the TiBook.

The TiBook has a faster video card and nicer display (Definitely noticeable when both models are side by side).

The iBook has much better Airport reception and a longer battery life.

The TiBooks is one pound lighter than the iBook, but the iBooks appears more rugged.

Since I'm not a gamer, nor the creative type, the 14" iBook makes sense to me. Money is not an issue, and I have considered splurging for the 800MHz TiBook, but I can't see the 20% or so speed improvement being worth the extra cash. I think I'd be better off saving that money and maybe using it to buy a new notebook in 18 months once speed is an issue.

I'm now fairly certain that the 14" iBook is what I want (A 12-inch display is just too small coming from a 17-inch CRT), but I'd like to have some feedback before I check out.

Have any of you had or experienced problems with your iBook? Has something broken? Has the display hinge held up over the months?

Or is the iBook simply the best notebook you've owned?

I'd like to know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    dude for all intents and purposes... the 14.1" iBook is the same screen size as the 12.1" iBook.... just more room between pixels...

I say, save the money and the extra pound and get the 12" combo.... and then with the $ you saved get a TiBook as soon as they are updated...

Edit: also this belongs in GD as it is purchasing advice... will the nearest mod please move it? thanks...

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I also suggest getting the 12" iBook. The screen's great and definately not too small.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I'm going to commit blasphemy here and recommend the 14" iBook over the 12" iBook. I know 90% of people here like the 12" over the 14", but I just can't stand such a tiny display. And believe me, it's tiny. I went to the Apple store a few days ago and looked around... the more I looked at the 12" iBook, the more I was amazed at its small size - and at how small the screen is. I'm used to the 14" 1024x768 screen on my Wallstreet, and it's definitely not a "coarse" resolution. If you're used to a 17" CRT, the 12" iBook will probably annoy you to no end. It annoyed me and I was only losing 2" off my current screen!

It is true that they have the same resolution, but it's not true to say that they're the "same screen" at different magnifications - although some have said the 14" is dimmer than the 12", from what I've seen the reverse is true. Also, regardless of resolution, everything will be smaller on the iBook's screen. DVDs will be tiny. So will text. You can fit more text on the 14" screen because 10pt text is comfortable on a 14" 1024x768, but it's not comfortable to read on a 12" 1024x768 screen, so you have to use, say, 12pt text, giving you less text on the screen.

EDIT: If the iBook will be your second system, with a desktop at home, then I'd recommend the 12". But if it's going to be your only system, go for the 14". You'll enjoy the extra screen size, and 6 lbs is still pretty light and easy to carry.

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 26
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I'm leaning towards the 14-inch for those exact reasons. This will be a desktop replacement for me (especially since the desktop I'm replacing is a 450MHz G4).

So has anyone ever damaged an iBook? They seem fairly rugged. Also, since this is a desktop replacement, I was thinking of getting a mouse. Any suggestions? I've been eying the Kensington PocketMouse Pro because of its portability.

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: Son of Pismo ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 26
    I'm about to purchase me an iBook as well, though due to money issues, Im pretty sure I'll be going 12". i think I'll get the lowest end 1200 dollar iBook, sans-CD-RW or DVD, and make up for it with an iPod

And Im pretty sure I'll be getting the Apple Pro mouse. Sure its big, but its really good, and I can't stand that light, plastic feel of 3rd party ones.

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: digitalandres ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 26
    I had the privilege of working with a 12inch iBook for a good six months. I wrote two 10-page term papers over that time and thought it was the perfect machine for the job. I remember sitting in bed, watching Save the Last Dance DVD with headphones and I loved it.

Of course, I'm purchasing a 15.2inch PowerBook in two weeks so I'm a little contradictory here. (Although it's just as portable- but a lil wider and heavier.. maybe a bit taller too but strikingly similar in size nonetheless.)

I think you'll like the increased portability of the 12inch screen vs. the extra size and weight of the 14inch screen.

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: ShawnPatrickJoyce ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Idont have any problems with the 12" ibook screen and I move back and forth between my 19" monitor on my PC and my iBook all the time.

If you are going to be a student you will appreciate the smaller lighter form factor of the little ice book.

good luck deciding

• Reply 8 of 26
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    IMHO, the real decision between the 12" and 14" iBook depends on what tradeoffs you want to make. The 14" iBook has (IMO) a better screen, and an extra hour of battery life, more or less, at the cost of roughly 1" extra to the case size in length and depth, and 1 lb. of added weight. After my experience with my own 14" iBook, I'd have to say that the 12" can't be beat for portability, due to its smaller size and weight. If you want a desktop replacement, the 14" is a good economical alternative o the TiBooks.

I haven't sustained any heavy damage to my own unit (I watch over mine like a hawk), but I have noticed that he top surface of it has gotten scuffed up quite a lot, despiite the fact that I've been quite gentle with it. Good thing the pure white surface does a good job at hiding embarassing scuff marks or minor scratches. My kudos goes to Jonathan Ive and the gang for that. To see how tough the iBooks really are, read this:

<a href="http://lowendmac.net/lab/02/0801.html"; target="_blank">http://lowendmac.net/lab/02/0801.html</a>;

Wow.

Now as for mice, I'm in exactly the same position as you. When I use the iBook at home, I've used with it my G4's old puck mouse with a MacAlly iCatch extension, and it bugs the hell out of me. I just flipped through an issue of MacWorld UK the other day and they gave rave reviews for Kensington's PocketMouse. I like the "Pro" model's neat retractable USB cord. Pity it's so damned expensive up here. ($65 CDN)

Have fun with your iBook. WC3 rocks on it.

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: rampancy ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I have owned my 14" iBook for almost 4 months now and love it. When I went to the Apple Store in the Mall of America I wasn't exactly sure if I was going to get the 12" or 14" model iBook. After they opned the store I headed right for the first iBook, I saw and it was the 12" model although it looked nice and small it was just to small for me. Even at 14" I find it to be just as portable as the 12" model and it is better than carrying around my Compaq 15" Laptop that was 7.9 pounds!!! Go with the 14" model you will enjoy it more.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    If I were you, I would spend the extra money on the low end TiBook. Especially if this is a replacement for your desktop. I think you'd be much more happy with the overall package. Great large screen, fast, looks stunning, and you can actually play games on it! If you're just doing Word documents, surfing the internet, reading email, and chatting online, hey, the iBook is great. But you said that you didn't care about how much money you spent and that you didn't really need an extremely powerful notebook. Even if you aren't playing games or rendering massive Photoshop files, I would still go for the TiBook (especially if money is no object). It will last you much longer and by the time you're done with college, you'll still have a fairly capable notebook.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Even if money is no object it makes no sense to buy some thing you are not going to be able to use it like it's suppost to be used. You can still play games on the ibook I haven't yet and probably never will but you said you don't play games. Buy a 14" iBook and use the saved money on other things like a nice Digital Camera and iPod.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    i'd have to say to go for the low end powerbook for a G4. i went from a G3 500 to a G4 400 and noticed a difference in OSX responsiveness. I'll never buy another G3 (for a full fledged computer, not sub-note).

Everyone who has an ibook says that it's plenty fast and i'm sure it is, but not all of them have used a G4 for a period of time (not everyone! please don't flame me). I think you would notice a difference with the powerbook.

this is what i'd say to do; it's worth the extra $700 to me. since money is not an issue, i'd upgrade to a low end powerbook.

that said, and ibook would also due perfectly fine and is a fine computer. I would tend to go for the powerbook, though. (someone had to speak up for the powerbook)
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Decisions...Decisions...
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Since nobody mentioned it, you could always get the 12" iBook for extreme portablilty while away from your desk, and use the VGA connector to plug in your 17" monitor or even bigger if you wanted. Just a suggestion. But really, if I had the money, I would go for the lowend Power Book like I said above. The iBook already (sort of) struggles with OS X (not sure how much 10.2 will help with that). The Power Book will at least be able to run the latest operating system and software 4 years from now.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by wolfeye155:

<strong>Since nobody mentioned it, you could always get the 12" iBook for extreme portablilty while away from your desk, and use the VGA connector to plug in your 17" monitor or even bigger if you wanted. Just a suggestion. But really, if I had the money, I would go for the lowend Power Book like I said above. The iBook already (sort of) struggles with OS X (not sure how much 10.2 will help with that). The Power Book will at least be able to run the latest operating system and software 4 years from now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hardly doubt my ibook is struggling with OSX if it was I would have sold it already, and I am sure you will be able to do pretty much any thing on an iBook 3 to 4 years down the road (Probably not games but every day things like Office, Email and Internet and minor Photoshop stuff). But I would wait if you do want a Powerbook because those will most likely get an update pretty quick I think with in the next 6 months or so.

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: BrianMacOS ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 26
    I think I'll buy an iBook, since a 667MHz PPC 7455 is no faster than a 700MHz PPC 750FX for the kind of work I do. I don't play games, and I don't use Photoshop. A G4 and Radeon 7500 would be wasted on me.

Sure, I can afford a TiBook, but why waste money? I'm not a power user and the iBook has more bang for your buck.

I can always get a PowerBook later, when the speed advantage is clear or when I decide I do need a G4 and the ability to play games.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    It did sort of come across like I was dissing the iBook in my post above. I guess that OS X runs better on the newer iBooks? I've heard previous complaints about the old ones running a little slugish. I may sound like some iBook hater but I'm really not and I plan to buy one with the next upgrade (hopefully I'll have enough money by then ). Now that I'm a little more clear on what you'll be doing with your notebook I think that the iBook is the perfect choice. Plus with the extra money you save you can buy an iPod, Microsoft Office, and other essentials for school. Have fun with your iBook!
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quick question about using the G3 ibook and virtual pc.

Has anyone had any had any experience using the ibook to run say Access under virtual pc?

I have been leaning towards the 14" ibook but was told it would run like crap under virtual pc.

?????
  • Reply 19 of 26
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    [quote]Originally posted by wolfeye155:

<strong>It did sort of come across like I was dissing the iBook in my post above. I guess that OS X runs better on the newer iBooks? I've heard previous complaints about the old ones running a little slugish. </strong><hr></blockquote>

It really annoys me how people love to pooh-pooh the iBook just because it has a G3. My iBook runs 10.1.5 just as well (actually a little better than) my desktop G4/400, which already runs X pretty damn well. And with Jag-Wire, I'm sure that the present generation of iBooks will scream.

ps: I didn't mean that as knock against you, WolfEye...I've just seen a lot of people unfairly bashing the iBook around here.

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: rampancy ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Yeh I do agree with you rampancy, the iBook is a great little machine. Plus if you compare it to it's PC competitors, it simply rocks period.

Specs on a Dell Inspirion 2600 starting at $1000.

-Processor: Mobile Celeron® processors up to 1.33GHz-M to meet your computing demands.

-Display: Large 15" and 14.1" XGA displays for an enhanced multimedia experience.

-Video Graphics: Integrated Intel 3D AGP graphics card with up to 32MB shared system memory.

-Media Bay Options: One fixed optical bay for your choice of CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD/CD-RW combination and one fixed media bay with floppy disk drive.

-Storage: Hard drives up to 40GB2 (5400 RPM) to meet your storage requirements.

-Memory: 2 memory slots to support 128MB to 512MB of shared memory for dependable performance.

-Height & Weight: 14.1" displays 6.8lbs3 and 1.45" thin and 15" displays 7.6lbs4 & 1.5" thin.

Whoohoo! An intel integrated graphics chip!