Apple CEO Jobs Says Has Cancer Surgery

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

I am sure you will agree with me that I would rather have Steve in good health then him announcing the new iMac under bad.

As much as I would hope that Steve is in good health, it also saddens me that people would post a very private e-mail he sent out to Apple employees. If he wanted the world to know of his conditions, Apple would have released a Press Release and made note of it on apple.com

1. yes. and that is not what I was saying. A month ago I said the new iMac would not be introduced at Paris..... I'm just saying this makes that even more likely.

2. Apple is a company of thousands of employees that have a very wide range of functions.....of course the email is going to get out.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    From Think Secret, the full text of Jobs' email to employees:

Quote:

Team,

I have some personal news that I need to share with you, and I wanted you to hear it directly from me.

This weekend I underwent a successful surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from my pancreas. I had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which represents about 1 percent of the total cases of pancreatic cancer diagnosed each year, and can be cured by surgical removal if diagnosed in time (mine was). I will not require any chemotherapy or radiation treatments.

The far more common form of pancreatic cancer is called adenocarcinoma, which is currently not curable and usually carries a life expectancy of around one year after diagnosis. I mention this because when one hears "pancreatic cancer" (or Googles it), one immediately encounters this far more common and deadly form, which, thank god, is not what I had.

I will be recuperating during the month of August, and expect to return to work in September. While I'm out, I've asked Tim Cook to be responsible for Apple's day to day operations, so we shouldn't miss a beat. I'm sure I'll be calling some of you way too much in August, and I look forward to seeing you in September.

Steve

PS: I'm sending this from my hospital bed using my 17-inch PowerBook and an Airport Express.

Aside from feeling grateful that he will be okay, I wonder what will happen to Apple when SJ leaves. He can't be around forever.

If the new iMac was scheduled to be presented during August, so be it. Steve doesn't have to announce every new hardware introduction. Keeping that mentality will only make Apple crash and burn the day SJ decides to call it quits and retire.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Its the nature of the beast, apple has tons of employees, this would happen in any company, all romanticized fantasies aside, apple is a company, and as such I would be shocked if at some point this week they don?t make it officially public, the share holders have a right to know if the CEO has a potentially life threatening disease

Get well soon SJ.

All I am saying is that it is sad that such a private and personal e-mail gets spread beyond where it was meant to go. I mean how do you think he feels that the whole world is now aware of the e-mail that he sent out? If he wanted the world to know, he or Apple would have publicly said something to begin with.

As for the share holders having the right to know, I do not feel they need to know the details. Steve stated that he is not in grave health and that he is taking a month off to refuel.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

From Think Secret, the full text of Jobs' email to employees:

Aside from feeling grateful that he will be okay, I wonder what will happen to Apple when SJ leaves. He can't be around forever.

I tend to want to think more along the lines when Bill Gates calls it quits
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Lack of privacy is the one price that any billionaire has to but doesnt want to pay.\
  • Reply 26 of 30
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

All I am saying is that it is sad that such a private and personal e-mail gets spread beyond where it was meant to go. I mean how do you think he feels that the whole world is now aware of the e-mail that he sent out? If he wanted the world to know, he or Apple would have publicly said something to begin with.

As for the share holders having the right to know, I do not feel they need to know the details. Steve stated that he is not in grave health and that he is taking a month off to refuel.

I think it is very difficult to classify an email sent to thousands of people as private. If he wanted to keep it private, he could've mentioned that in the email.

The shareholders definitely have a right to know about the health of the CEO. If Jobs died and his illness hadn't been made public (even through this slight of hand of releasing a company memo which in turn gets released to the press), Apple could then be targeted in a shareholder lawsuit.

AFAIK, there is no heir apparent at Apple. Who WILL take the reigns when it's Jobs time to go? This is the kind of stuff that can halve a company's market value overnight since there is no publicly known successor to Jobs' throne.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Definitely an interesting question.... It's touched upon in a new article by CNN Money. It's worth a read.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    A thought: Steve didn't know this was a curable form of pancreatic cancer when his doctors first showed him his CT scans/MRI scans. Needless to say, since this curable form represents only 1% of all pancreatic cancers, Jobs and his doctors must have first assumed it was the bad kind.

He must have been scared shitless, given the 2-year survival rate of 10%.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

A thought: Steve didn't know this was a curable form of pancreatic cancer when his doctors first showed him his CT scans/MRI scans. Needless to say, since this curable form represents only 1% of all pancreatic cancers, Jobs and his doctors must have first assumed it was the bad kind.

and he is only like 50 years old, not an old man by a long shot in todays standards. I would be freaked out if I were in that position, who wouldn't?
  • Reply 30 of 30
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

You're forgetting this form of pancreatic cancer has symptoms early, and I imagine they are distinct from the other form. They probably knew what form from the very initial diagnosis