best Bluetooth Cellphones, Plans, Speed,etc

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
hi i searched the forum and never really found a topic on this, if there is one, sorry.

i thought i'd start a topic where people put down the best Bluetooth Enabled phones for cellular wireless support via bluetooth on PowerBooks,etc

Write down the best cell phones (coolest looking, best quality), fastest cellular internet access, and best pricing plans available (or a combination of all).

Give links and post up pictures and detailed info.

This could prove to be a very informative topic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The coolest one that I have seen so far is the motorola RAZR V3.

http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hell.../default.shtml

It is not availible yet but is the coolest one so far. I still have another year left on my current contract so it should be ready for my next contract.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 30
    d3ctd3ct Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

The coolest one that I have seen so far is the motorola RAZR V3.

http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hell.../default.shtml

It is not availible yet but is the coolest one so far. I still have another year left on my current contract so it should be ready for my next contract.

reg

that shit looks hot... anyone know what kind of speeds you get when connecting your PB to one of these? or other phones? what determines speed?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    That phone is by far the coolest I've seen with the features I've been looking for. I have done my two year contract with an old-school Moto phone and now I'll hold off on getting another one until this comes out. I'm sure they'll want several hundred for it, but so long that it works better than one of their G4's I'll be happy.

Here's a question related to phones so it's not entirely off-topic. I am with Verizon, and I'm stationed out in the middle of nowhere (Minot, North Dakota). We don't have all the services here that are offered in cities, like my hometown of Seattle. If I get one of these new phones, even if I pay for it myself and it's not offered in this area, will they be able to program it so I'll be able to use it here, even if I can't use all the features? Thanks for helping me with this.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    A BIG THANK YOU

for starting this thread, i've done seaches for similar topics. since new phones get discounted only on activation and 2 year contracts, i would hate to upgrade my nokia for an "also" ran. say the v600 on cell news sites everything will be upgraded this fall or near christmas. i quess summer is the time to clean inventory.

we should also list those that work best with apple, not just the coolest because you spend big bucks for "cool"

i was about to spring for the v600 but won't sync with isync

almost the SE 617 then they upgraded to 637

My wife wants a flip phone

so maybe categories are necessary with this thread

I think the SE new clamshels are cool but thick

if i was to go with verizon they only have service/ stores in huntington WV( i quess i could still use my old cell number even though it has a different area code --606 vs 304

in ashland ky my best bet is ATT and it has edge--thus i can connect with BT my ibook anywhere att has service and do internet, even in my car.

I would like to know when verizon will make their fast internet service available nationwide like ATT edge
  • Reply 5 of 30
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    If you want speed, you definitely want EDGE. For example, the Sony-Ericsson S710a.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

If you want speed, you definitely want EDGE. For example, the Sony-Ericsson S710a.

Isn't AT&T now promoting its UMTS network now over EDGE? Verizon's CDMA2000 1xEV-DV based service should be pretty fast too (though I don't think it has actually been deployed...)

None of the current UMTS phones offered by AT&T are going to wow you with their looks...

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=539

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=509
  • Reply 7 of 30
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Handspring Treo's next rev is the Treo 610. I would recommend this.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    I'm using a Sony Ericsson T630 and I love it. Picture quality isn't the greatest nice screen though. But the abilities of Salling Clicker ( http://www.salling.com/ ) with this totally kick ass. And the ability to see album art, on the phone, while you use it to control iTunes. Totally worth it. It's a good quality phone with lots of nice feature. yadda yadda yadda.. but did I mention I can use it as a remote to control the DVD player..??!!! totally cool.

Sony Ericsson T630

(links to T630)
  • Reply 9 of 30
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    UMTS and EV-DV are the fastest out there, but they're so new I wouldn't recommend them.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    e-thore-thor Posts: 11member
    I've always wanted to know how different phones handle large contact lists. I have a P800 with 6 months left on the contract. I like the phone for its capabilities but it's bulky. I'm looking forward to a P900 or a Treo 600 (which disadvantage is not having bluetooth) but if a smaller phone can handle 600 contacts and calendar duties I'll settle for it. Bluetooth is a must for me, wireless iSync and Salling Clicker are just great! Any comments on SE's coming soon phones (S700 or K700) ?
  • Reply 11 of 30
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    The Treo 610 is coming to Cingular in late October.

P palm info center

The Sony-Ericsson P910 has been announced and should be available now. Apple does not mention it in the iSync compatibility list though.

Phone Scoop

I can't decide betweent these phones.

MSKR
  • Reply 12 of 30
    What about new phones from cingular, like the moto v551 types. my friend has the moto 710 from verizon and he says it rocks, but he is not a mac guy and i don't have verizon here. i'd like to get a new phone for december promotions, unless you people think it best to wait till after christmas. i know that moto phones need usb cable to sync with mac. what other flip phones do you suggest????
  • Reply 13 of 30
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e-thor

I've always wanted to know how different phones handle large contact lists. I have a P800 with 6 months left on the contract. I like the phone for its capabilities but it's bulky. I'm looking forward to a P900 or a Treo 600 (which disadvantage is not having bluetooth) but if a smaller phone can handle 600 contacts and calendar duties I'll settle for it. Bluetooth is a must for me, wireless iSync and Salling Clicker are just great! Any comments on SE's coming soon phones (S700 or K700) ?

i have a p800 too, that is looking a bit old and battered. i'm liking a few phones out there but i do like having my full contact list and calendar with me. might have to be a p910 but are there any others (not the treo because it doesn't have bluetooth)
  • Reply 14 of 30
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Fingers crossed for the Treo 650.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Fingers crossed for the Treo 650.

I've played with one (don't ask me how or where 8) ). It is schweet. I will get one to replace my oh so flaky Moto V525.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    more questions( i will go with cingular)

moto v551 vs se z500 vs moto mpx 220(this has MS windows moble)

so i want to sync with my ibook i quesss with moto i must use a usb cable, can i sync with the mpx 220??

what about BT ear pieces which is best, what should i be looking for?

thanks
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

more questions( i will go with cingular)

moto v551 vs se z500 vs moto mpx 220(this has MS windows moble)

so i want to sync with my ibook i quesss with moto i must use a usb cable, can i sync with the mpx 220??

what about BT ear pieces which is best, what should i be looking for?

thanks

I doubt you will be able to sync any Moto phone w/ BT until Tiger (and then someone writes a sync conduit for the new sync framework). Dunno about the z500, maybe too new. Looks like Apple won't do anything w/ iSync until Tiger is released.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    has anyone sync moto phones with usb???
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

has anyone sync moto phones with usb???

I used to sync my old T720 with iSync without a problem.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    i wouldnt trust motoshit for anything.

sony ericsson iSyncs perfectly through stict adherence to standards based sync protocall. works perfectly with yr mac. there is close collaboration between apple and se.

i searched for design and workability and bought the z1010 from se (doesnt work in the USA however).

take a look at the new v800 however, that does work in the usa:

http://www.clubsonyericsson.com/en/products_v800.shtml