Is Apple selling overclocked G4's?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I guess overclocking is not the right term since Apple has always determined the CPU speed based on mobo settings or daughtercard settings. But at any rate, I read this article and it's well... here's the link.

<a href="http://denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/08/Anunbelievablekludge.shtml"; target="_blank">Kludge article</a>

Does this guy know what of he speaks?

MSKR

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I think they are, especially with the fan system they have in the new machines. I think overclocked G4's are a big possibility with the new machines.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I think that's ridiculous except for one thing...

I heard this is not a new revision of the G4. It has to be a newer revision because it supports a faster bus speed...

... at least you would think so.

The overclocking idea crossed my mind, but I don't really believe that to be the case.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    It certainly validates the massive heatsink, the waffled back and airvents in the front. &lt;scream&gt; STOPGAP! &lt;/scream&gt;
  • Reply 4 of 27
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    But remember how those "spy photos" of the new enclosure had a quite early date on them? 2000 or 2001?

If that new enclosure was in fact developed a year or more ago, that means they were planning on either overclocking their machines in the future or using a G5 in the future. Perhaps they decided they'd use the new enclosures no matter what actually cropped up by this time, because either option required the use of better cooling.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    kiu77kiu77 Posts: 68member
    This thread and its basic story are both absolutely idiotic.

If you you speculate on this basic tech topics: Please inform yourself before you write.

Have a look at the datasheets from moto for ex.

No more word needed.

Its not this way you should "Think different"

This thread should be closed
  • Reply 6 of 27
    What constitutes a chip to be considered "overclocked"?

&lt;example&gt;

From what I understand a G4 933, and a G4 1000 are made on the same line, and then they are rated. If the chip can perform at 1000MHz, it'll be stamped at 1000, if it can only perform at 933MHz, it'll be stamped at 933. All chips are clocked, the only time its considered over clocking is when its pushed beyond what the manufacturer deems its highest clock rate.

&lt;/example&gt;

So if you took a new dual 1GHz and overclocked it to 1.25 (and if this rumor is true, everyone should try to) it would be overclocked, but if Apple does, then no, it is standard practice.

I'm not claiming any knowledge, this is just how I understand it.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I keep thinking about that brokerage commercial where the boss is trying to whip up some enthusiasm among the sales staff to push a bad investment on hapless investors, encouraging the staff to pretend that the stock is a great deal.

"Let's put some lipstick on this pig!"

I don't think Apple's being quite that dishonest, but I do think they know they've got a weak product in these new Power Macs, and are a bit desperate to put the best face on the situation as they can.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    The suggested clockrate is printed on every chip that leaves a fab from motorola.

get your new machines, look at what it says and if it says "...blablabla RX1000...blablabla" instead of RX1250, it's overclocked.

otherwise it's not.

G-News
  • Reply 9 of 27
    They are overclocked. I bet anything they are.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    We'll see then when they ship if they are or aren't. Personally I don't see why it makes any difference, overclocked or not it's still 1.25GHz. I've seen P4's running at 4GHz continuously due to motherboard overclocking and liquid cooling, and they run smoothly. Much like a transmission getting a lightened flywheel and taller gear box.

We'll just have to wait to speculate.

-CFPC
  • Reply 11 of 27
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 12 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Motorola began manufacturing 1167 MHz G4s as early as June. 1250 MHz is just a .5 multiplier away.

Not overclocked.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    If the 1.25's were simple overclocks wouldn't they be available now??????
  • Reply 14 of 27
    okay who here is going to try and overclock their 1.25 g4 when they get it?

then we should get some more meat to discuss with....I doubt they are overclocked...seems silly to me for apple to do that.

the 1 ghz g3s were cabable of getting up to 1.3 or so ghz so the 1.25 may be able to get up to 1.5 or 1.6....that would be nice....er..I think....I don't know anymore...suddenly a dual 867 seems like more than enough to me(as long as it has a geforce 4 ti 4400 or radeon 9000 and 512 RAM)
  • Reply 15 of 27
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    There's no way to tell if they are overclocked (yet). I was under the impression that to over clock an Intel/AMD chip you could increase the voltage to the CPU which increases the FSB frequency and with a fixed multiplier that "overclocks" the chip to higher frequency. In addition, you can (sometimes) change the multiplier (through software in some cases) to get a higher frequency chip. In order to determine if the new 1.25 GHz is overclocked you would have to determine if the new 1.25 GHz chip is an old 1 Ghz chip run at a higher voltage. Let me know when some cracks open their DP 1 GHz and the new DP 1.25 GHz to determine if it is overclocked.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 17 of 27
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Apple would NEVER overclock a third party part from a manufacturer that has sold them 1.25 GHz processors they stand behind. These are not unethical people. I suggest this thread should be closed on the basis that it assumes that Apple is an unethical company that would LIE to their user base. That is absurd.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, i ain't closing a thread for that. good speculation here, never hurts to toss ideas around.

that being said, when you overclock a chip you're running it past spec. i know that companies like AMD will often times sell 900 Mhz chips that could run just fine at 1.1 Ghz when they first come out with those 900Mhz chips. they sell 900Mhz as the top end, even though a lot of chips can go higher.

in this case it could be that the old Moto chips could handle 1.25 Ghz quite nicely, and so now they're just getting more chips that can run at that speed, and are making it an "official" option.

however, i can promise you that apple isn't buying a 1Ghz rated chip and running it at 1.25Ghz, that would not go over well with Moto, as it makes their product look bad when it fails for running past spec.

as for the idea that these are the exact same chips as before, they're just getting them in enough quantity that will run at 1.25Ghz, that's an interesting idea.

not sure how you prove it one way or another though, as that's pretty much the natural progression of processors, IIRC.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    [quote]Originally posted by kiu77:

<strong>This thread and its basic story are both absolutely idiotic.

If you you speculate on this basic tech topics: Please inform yourself before you write.

This thread should be closed</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, whatever, I was bringing this article to everyone's attention to get insight from those who know. If it's bunk then it's bunk. Pardon me for disturbing you with something that goes against what you think.

Now go burn some books.

[quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>They are not over-clocked. Period.

Get a clue and be responsible about the posts. Just because you are semi-anonymous on the web doesn't give you a license for stupidity. I know everyone in this thread isn't posting out their a$$, but if the shoe fits...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Okay we have two new cadet members of the Thought Police. Anyone else care to join?

If not then let's continue discussion. For what it's worth, my Dual 867 arrives on Friday.

MSKR
  • Reply 20 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Jeez, as G-News said, there's a freakin' easy way to determine whether they are overclocked. Wait 6 weeks. Remove heatsink. Check stamp on chip.

Chances are quite slim that these chips are running above their rated clock speeds.

[ 08-20-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>