New Powermac's and the second bay. Optical? Front Ports?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    All the ideas you guys have given are good. I've decided over the past week that a burner for me is just a waste of money. I rarely burn CDR's because my car's head unit is an MP3 compatible player, so I usually have only one or two CDR's for a few weeks (basically I burn a CDR about twice a month). On top of that I don't need CDR's for data transfer, because I have my Archos portable hard drive which works for PC and Mac. Pretty much I can deal waiting 9 minutes for a burn for as little as I actually do it.

As for ports, I'm beginning to think this is better and better. I can probably figure out a way to rig the door to stay open when I need it to, or maybe I'll make a tab so I can open it and then have the cords that are plugged in keep it open. But adding so many ports is excessive for me. I don't have any Firewire drives, and the only USB stuff I have is permanent, so I wouldn't want it comming out the front of my tower. Although when you need front ports, it is really handy. My girlfriend has her Nike PSA player that we will plug in a few times a week, plus our G2 camera, and my Archos portable drive.

So I'm going to look for something that has only USB on the front (if it has Firewire too that's fine but I'll rarely use it) and possibly compact flash (for the camera instead of having to use the cable or in case some else has their CF card with them). What else are you guys going to do with your second bay? I'll post pics when I find what I'm talking about, I've seen something similar. :cool:

-CFPC
  • Reply 22 of 26
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    [quote]Originally posted by Awimoway:

<strong>What are you going to do about the drive bay door? How will you keep it open?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, I bought <a href="http://store.yahoo.com/buyproline/quicg4par.html"; target="_blank">this</a> (the item in the upper left corner). You replace the current bezel with this one. Looks sweet!
  • Reply 23 of 26
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,056member
    News from Roxio:

Toast 5.2 with Yamaha CRW-F1 T@2 text/graphics burning design module will ship by mid-September at the latest.

Please read this CRW-F1 feature page before you post unnecessary misinformation. The above warning about buffer-underrun Yamaha CDR drives refers to very OLD models. Nobody ships drives like that any more.

<a href="http://www.yamaha.com/yec/multimedia/customer/features/feat_prodsCRWF1_1.html"; target="_blank">http://www.yamaha.com/yec/multimedia/customer/features/feat_prodsCRWF1_1.html</a>;

"SafeBurn? Buffer Management System Eliminates buffer underruns and allows for reliable multi-tasking." It's got an 8 MB buffer.

Still waiting for Roxio to tell me when Toast 5.2 updater will be available.

[ 08-24-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 26
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,056member
    Just back from the Palo Alto Apple Store Jaguar Premiere that took place last night from 10:20 PM until about 2:40 AM in downtown Palo Alto California about 30 miles south of San Francisco and 15 miles north of Cupertino. They sold out every dual GHz DMD Macs they had and probably what ever few dual 867s they had. Jaguar was a hit with everyone in the store. My guess is there were at least 300 people that passed through that store last night.

I have to say that the new Macs cannot be comprehended by studying them on this web. You have to see them in person to really begin to appreciate what a breakthrough product that case is. I am certain that one can populate the inside with easily 6 - 200 GB ATA drives for a total of more than 1.1 Terabytes of available storage.

There are 4 fans. Two small ones pushing front to rear through the power supply, one medium fan blowing directly into the side of the dual opticals and one gigantic fan blowing across the enormous heat sink situated in the middle of the insides. There's room for two drives below the opticals and two or maybe even three drives above them. There's also 2 drive slots in the rear under the power supply and behind the heat sink that share the ATA 100 bus.

The mirrored drive doors and frame are all MIRRORED METAL not shiny plastic like the photos would have you believe. Serious metal. And that shiny metal theme includes the rear of the four vent ports. Most of the intake air is undernieth the front NOT through those retro ports.

The box that the computers come in have gigantic blow ups of the ports on the sides. Those ports are almost as cosmetic as the ports on BMW Z1s. But they do look cool.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Spoke with Roxio Tech Support today and they said the 5.2 Toast supporting the Yamaha CRW-F1 Graphics/Text Burning and 10.2 Jaguar may be released as soon as tomorrow.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Of course there's always a Zip or floppy drive, even though floppies are near obsolete in the Mac world I suppose we'd better provide some backward compatibility for our PC-User friends.

Andrew