when are p.books & p.macs due for update?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    d3ctd3ct Posts: 56member
    i wouldnt really be asking when another revision is up for powermacs or powerbooks, except if i were to order a powermac i probably wouldnt get it shipped Until the next damn revision, so why order now? this situation is totally pissing me off cuz i REALLY want to upgrade my mac but i have to concider EVERY variable becuz my apple is basically my life. im really torn up about all the drama and crappy situations going on right now. i want things to get back to normal and calm down and look and feel more professional/reliable. personally, if i had a lot of money, i wouldve invested A LOT of it in apple at this point, and i am honestly happy i didnt have that money cuz right now i would have probably lost most of it due to unnecessary and unwarned situations. a lot of the excitement and happyness i would have set on my orders, had i ordered them, would have probably morphed into a deep state of depression at this point as well.

heres hoping all this b.s. gets cleared up with the quickness
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by D3ct

i wouldnt really be asking when another revision is up for powermacs or powerbooks, except if i were to order a powermac i probably wouldnt get it shipped Until the next damn revision, so why order now? this situation is totally pissing me off cuz i REALLY want to upgrade my mac but i have to concider EVERY variable becuz my apple is basically my life. im really torn up about all the drama and crappy situations going on right now. i want things to get back to normal and calm down and look and feel more professional/reliable. personally, if i had a lot of money, i wouldve invested A LOT of it in apple at this point, and i am honestly happy i didnt have that money cuz right now i would have probably lost most of it due to unnecessary and unwarned situations. a lot of the excitement and happyness i would have set on my orders, had i ordered them, would have probably morphed into a deep state of depression at this point as well.

heres hoping all this b.s. gets cleared up with the quickness

I heard some advice on this forum a while back that sounded pretty good. If you need the machine for business purposes and are losing something by not having one right now, you should buy right now, and forget speculating about how soon your maching is going to be obsolesced. But if it's not that vital and important, it's worth worrying about how soon the line is going to be updated. Maybe not worth waiting for if it's going to be a while, but worth taking into consideration.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    I am fine with Apple updating their products once a year. But they need to get their act together and stick to their commitment for release dates.

The earnings call casts some doubts on Apple's ability to meet commitments for Q4, 2004 due the issues with G5. That is not something that any costumer or Apple wants to read.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

That is not something that any costumer...wants to read.

It's almost as bad as cancelling Halloween in that regard. Almost.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Also realize according to that Mac Rumor Update cycle page the PowerMac does get updated every 6 months.

You have to watch it, though when you look at those update dates. The PowerMac update on 11/2003 wasn't really an update in my book. Apple simply made the Single 1.8 G5 a Dual 1.8 G5. Most people didn't count that as an update. So up until last year (6/2003) updates were 6 months apart. This last year it probably would have been 9 months without the delay, but who really knows.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonard

You have to watch it, though when you look at those update dates. The PowerMac update on 11/2003 wasn't really an update in my book. Apple simply made the Single 1.8 G5 a Dual 1.8 G5. Most people didn't count that as an update. So up until last year (6/2003) updates were 6 months apart. This last year it probably would have been 9 months without the delay, but who really knows.

Not an update? It was for those of us who bought the single 1.8
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by glassblowerscat

I heard some advice on this forum a while back that sounded pretty good. If you need the machine for business purposes and are losing something by not having one right now, you should buy right now, and forget speculating about how soon your maching is going to be obsolesced. But if it's not that vital and important, it's worth worrying about how soon the line is going to be updated. Maybe not worth waiting for if it's going to be a while, but worth taking into consideration.

On the flip side, if you buy a new computer model, it could have some bugs that need to be ironed out. Like when the Alu Powerbooks first came out. Many people had problems with spots on their screens. I felt so happy I had just purchased one of the last Titanium models with no hardware bugs or anything.