Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger build 8A171

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer today provided developers with the first update to Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" since introducing the next-generation Macintosh operating system back in June.

The minor 152 KB update was provided to select Apple developers via Tiger's Software Update mechanism and was labeled "Mac OS X Tiger Seed Update 1."

Screenshots: About This Mac; Software Update; Installing

According to a developer note accompanying the software, the system update adds functionality for searching vCards using Spotlight and a transmits a short ReadMe file to test the Software Update mechanism in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Although the update provides only a minor feature addition, it reportedly updates Mac OS X 10.4 from build 8A162 to build 8A171.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Apple probably wants to see how widespread Tiger is right now. Anyone not have a copy yet?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    i'm still running 8A162 after running the update...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hes Nikke

Hmm... I wonder how Tiger runs on that 500 MHz G3, especially considering how Panther was faster yet on older hardware than its predecessor. (I know Tiger's still deep in beta right now; just idle musings of an idle mind at this time of night...)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hes Nikke

Restart.

-Kasper
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ejieji Posts: 39member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Hmm... I wonder how Tiger runs on that 500 MHz G3, especially considering how Panther was faster yet on older hardware than its predecessor. (I know Tiger's still deep in beta right now; just idle musings of an idle mind at this time of night...)

I'm wondering the same thing. I've got a G3/500 with 640MB RAM, and it sure would be nice to have a snappier OS -- for productivity reasons, of course. 8)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stingerman

Apple probably wants to see how widespread Tiger is right now. Anyone not have a copy yet?

I don't and I'm actually developing apps in Cocoa / XCode. Guess us lowly online only ADC members don't count.

Oh well, I need a stable computer anyways.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by stingerman

I also don't, but I'm only doing photography and web design.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Restart.

Or, as the ReadMe file that Software Update installed says:

The new build number will be reflected in the 'About This Mac' window once you log out and log back in.