Apple to address theft concerns at retail stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An increasing level of theft at Apple Computer's often crowded retail stores has prompted the company to install measures that will insure better protection of its assets, AppleInsider has learned.

Initially catering to its west-coast locations, Apple will soon begin hiring "loss prevention officers" that will focus strictly on preventing any external theft from the company's retail stores during busy hours.

The company initially plans to deploy officers in four of its California retail locations: Los Angeles, Pasadena, Santa Monica, and San Francisco.

The Apple Retail loss prevention officers will be uniformed positions that report directly to the Apple's Director of loss prevention.

Officers will also keep a daily log of all significant events that happen during a shift, but will not be encouraged to engage in any type of foot chase or interaction with theft subjects outside the retail stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    In such a modern country we live in, in the USA, it seems we are so backwards in enforcing theft laws. If only we would chop a persons hand off for stealing. It's a lot more civil than the huge number of thief's this country generates.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'm not so sure about the barbaric hand-chopping stuff, but I definitely don't like the "don't chase or confront the thief outside the store" aspect.

Any thief now knows all they have to do is make it out the door and haul ass and they've got a good chance.

Kinda like the recent ruling in my town that police could no longer engage in high-speed pursuits. Sends a bit of encouragement to those finding themselves in a position where running from the law is a part-time occupation.

"Hey, if we can just get up enough speed and cleverly turn some corners, we got a chance!"

Actually, I'm amazed people can steal things in most modern retail locations. Those alarm barriers and with items tagged with little sensorts. You'd have to take those off somehow, or cleverly bypass those 5-6' tall sensors near the door.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Theft is common in just about all retail operations and it comes off the bottom line in terms of it's profitability. Unfortunately consumers pay for shoplifting as much as the retailers do. Loss Prevention can control part of the problem, but generally the police and courts don't make it clear to the professional thieves that it's a costly, not profitable, game for them.

Sad to say, but one day we'll probably see most of the inventory in an Apple store behind locked glass cases.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    With the number of tracking devices installed in vehicles it will soon be unneccesary to chase a car down. Eventually the police will be able to call up "onstar" or whomever and have the car shut down or brake by itself, in the nearer future they will simply have the car "phone home." and it will be tracked to its known location. Already thieves of high end cars let them sit on the street for a day or so to see if any tracking device is installed. Only a matter of time, and I hope my 80's car is still running then....
  • Reply 5 of 9
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Uh..wouldn't these thieves, who know how to disable small sensors and proximity alarms on merchandise, also be able to turn off the car's GPS?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    sondjatasondjata Posts: 308member
    well do you know how to shut off the computer in your car without disabling the entire car? many newer higher end cars have up to four different computers onboard. besides if they knew that, then the practice of leaving cars on the street to see if the cops come wouldn't be happening. By the way, the FBI has gotten the courts to approve of remotely accessing the OnStar systems of cars so equiped soooooooo.........
  • Reply 7 of 9
    What a world we live in these days!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stingerman

In such a modern country we live in, in the USA, it seems we are so backwards in enforcing theft laws. If only we would chop a persons hand off for stealing. It's a lot more civil than the huge number of thief's this country generates.

and don't forget to chop off the heads of everybody who rips software, music or movies from a p2p or has an illegal copy of office on his computer.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    I saw we draw and quarter all the copyright violators in public and make their children eat Daddy's colon.

Work for you?