iTunes Music Store to arrive in the Netherlands this fall

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer is planning to launch a version its iTunes online music store in the Netherlands this fall, according to sources and several Dutch media outlets and television news broadcasts.

The Netherlands online store is reportedly on-track for an October launch, around the same time that Apple is also expected to introduce its music download service in Denmark and Poland.

Earlier this week, Free Record Shop launched its own music download service in the Netherlands. The company claims to offer 250,000 tracks and says that the number of songs number will double by year's end. However, the company is aware that its offerings pale in comparison to Apple's much larger music download catalog.

In its battle to fend off Apple's iTunes, Free Record Shop will attempt to distinguish itself by offering exclusive local artists not available from the iTunes catalog, the company says.

Apple is actively attempting to finalize arrangements that will deliver the iTunes Music Store to several European countries this fall, sources have told AppleInsider.

Apple currently offers localized versions of the iTunes music store in the United Kingdon, France, Germany, and the United States.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr still wating for iTunes Haiti ...come'on Apple what's the holdup!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Grrrrrrrrrrrr still wating for iTunes Haiti ...come'on Apple what's the holdup!

Sadly, Haiti will probably come before Canada and/or Australia.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    zzenzzen Posts: 9member
    Well, I still hope for a complete, 25-members pan-european iTMS, also my hopes are getting weaker with each week. Come on, Apple!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Hmm? Are we going to see a news story for every country in the EU?

What countries will you "confirm" tomorrow?

Apple said that they will launch an EU store in October!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    A lot of people in the Netherlands are waiting for the iTMS store in the Netherlands and the Dutch speaking part of Belgian. The iTMS the Netherlands and Dutch-speaking Belgian serves 20 milion people. Probably the Netherlands get their own localized version of the iTMS, because they expect better sales than in Germany and France.

It's very difficult for Apple Netherlands to make the Music Store available here. In the Netherlands are the most small record-labels as part of the Big 5 over the whole world.

Apple is becoming popluair by the people in the Netherlands. iPod sales are growing. The iPod-mini was sold out in 2 days.

The pan-european store will come around 15 october probably. The countries I expect were the store wll available: Spain, Italy, Polen, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Hungary, Russian and Greece. More countries I don't expect. Apple doesn't have a local branch there or the Language is not available for Mac OS X. Jobs didn't say things about Canada and Australia but they get probably also their own store in October even as South Korea and Japan. This is al unconfirmed, but I'm waiting on a confirmation later this month.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

The countries I expect were the store wll available: Spain, Italy, Polen, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Hungary, Russian and Greece. More countries I don't expect.

How about Luxembourg?

Considering that the iTMS Europe is based here... (whatever that means, I was in front of the building, seems there's only a mail box).
  • Reply 7 of 11
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    AFAIK Norway isn't part of EU...

Switzerland too...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    It's in Luxembourg because it's the small country in Europe, possibly the world, and very few people live there so there are minimal taxes because only Luxembourgians have to pay them for purchasing music. It's in the Apple press release I think.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Luxembourg isn't the smallest of Europe, there are about 5 smaller countries, but that's not the point.

Mayby you have acces in Luxemburg, but I don't expect that they will aunche the iTMS there. It's to small to launch it now already. I think Luxembourg and other countries in europe will be served in Januari/Februari 2005. But mayby all the European Union countries are on the list. Who knows!?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MysteryQuest

Luxembourg isn't the smallest of Europe, there are about 5 smaller countries, but that's not the point.

Mayby you have acces in Luxemburg, but I don't expect that they will aunche the iTMS there. It's to small to launch it now already. I think Luxembourg and other countries in europe will be served in Januari/Februari 2005. But mayby all the European Union countries are on the list. Who knows!?

AFAIK it will be ONE EU store and available to all EU citizens in ALL 25 countries.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Hmm? Are we going to see a news story for every country in the EU?

What countries will you "confirm" tomorrow?

Apple said that they will launch an EU store in October!

AI is simply documenting Apple's progress toward that goal.

We know there will be an iMac refresh in September, too. Do you not want AI to publish any reports on Apple's progress there, either?