OmniWeb 5 - Will you buy it?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    I've bought it. This is, bar none, the best web browser I've ever used. Site-specific preferences, the mini-window tabs, the "check for updated" bookmarks feature, the real, customizable Mac OS X interface.... it's great. Even better are workspaces. Press F2 and there are all my news sites, laid out the way I like 'em, or press F3 and here I am at all of the boards I post to.

It's not perfect. Omni wisely focused their attention on the wrapper application in this release, which means the bundled WebCore isn't as up to date as it probably should be. But that's the focus of release 5.1.

The early betas were very, very unstable. Not surprising, given how ambitious this product is. But these later editions, and this gold master, seem to have the kinks worked out. I love it. Can't praise it enough.

It's Safari Pro.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I purchased OW5 for $9.95. How? I went to the Apple Store and purchased a box version of OW4 for $9.95 (on clearance). OmniGroup sent me a version 5 license once I registered my version 4 with them.

I am interested in the RSS new feeds in OW5. Does anyone know how they work? I can't seem to find any info in OW5 on-line help?

Thanks
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Unfortunately, OWS uses the same webkit that Safari does. In fact it is an older version. This makes it fail with the same problems of Safari. Safari is much better with 10.3.5. Both Safari and OWS don't match up to Firefox in portability and I don't like to be blocked out of websites because my browser can't handle it. I do like the features of OWS. I will try it again after Omni releases a few patches; I have sent them feedback.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    You can search your history.

That is a killer feature. Im always trying to find a page that I viewed last week and didnt bookmark.

I love workspaces. I hate having to close my browser and loosing all my tabs.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Unfortunately, OWS uses the same webkit that Safari does. In fact it is an older version. This makes it fail with the same problems of Safari. Safari is much better with 10.3.5. Both Safari and OWS don't match up to Firefox in portability and I don't like to be blocked out of websites because my browser can't handle it. I do like the features of OWS. I will try it again after Omni releases a few patches; I have sent them feedback.

Ken Case has already stated over at the Mac Ach that they are now working on rolling in the latest Webcore ? it's going through QA to fix all the bugs that shifting up to it introduced.

Rest assured, it's on the way.

I'm very tempted to pay for this. Apart from the generous licence (non-simultaneous use of laptop and desktop, yay for that), I am very impressed by:

? workspaces: the bee's knees!

? site-specific preferences for ad-blocking and appearance; and,

? the basic but pretty good source editor.

Not to mention all the other polish which has been in Omniweb since the dawn of time.

And all for the princely academic rate of $19.95.

For the majority of sites which attempt to lock you out for not using IE, this site preference is likely to be of pretty big value:

• Reply 26 of 28
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    This is a old bug that I am still experiencing in the final.

The search bar has aliased edges on the rounded parts.

Is anyone else seeing this?
  • Reply 27 of 28
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

This is a old bug that I am still experiencing in the final.

The search bar has aliased edges on the rounded parts.

Is anyone else seeing this?

What about the text field highlight that doesnt correctly surround the search field, rather it surrounds the text field inside it, and pokes out the bottom.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    I don't need for Omniweb. I prefer Safari and Mozilla.