Anyone uses Netscape 7.2?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone use Netscape 7.2?

In what way is it different from Mozilla 1.7.x?

Are profiles compatible (i. e. would it be possible to use Netscape and Mozilla on the same Profile?)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

Does anyone use Netscape 7.2?

In what way is it different from Mozilla 1.7.x?

Are profiles compatible (i. e. would it be possible to use Netscape and Mozilla on the same Profile?)?

Netscape 7.2 is a brand new release of the Mac browser. The Windows version of Netscape has been 7.2 for quite a while. For all practical purposes, Netscape and Mozilla are the same. They use the same support file folder and the same support files. Any change that you make in Mozilla will be seen the next time you launch Netscape and vice-versa.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I was just about to start a new topic on netscape 7.2

I just downloaded it and it seems to me to be faster than Safari. I kinda like the features to, including a built in mail program, although I havent set it up yet.

Someone told me that Netscape also offers a free email service, is this true? I was going to try yahoo but if Netscape has one perhaps it will have a notification service built right into the browser-I will have to check on that.

So far, it seems to be faster than Safari, at least to me.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

I was just about to start a new topic on netscape 7.2

I just downloaded it and it seems to me to be faster than Safari. I kinda like the features to, including a built in mail program, although I havent set it up yet.

Someone told me that Netscape also offers a free email service, is this true? I was going to try yahoo but if Netscape has one perhaps it will have a notification service built right into the browser-I will have to check on that.

So far, it seems to be faster than Safari, at least to me.

Netscape's free email is part of your free Netscape account. Those have been available since about 1948. You can sign up on Netscape's home page.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Netscape's free email is part of your free Netscape account. Those have been available since about 1948. You can sign up on Netscape's home page.

I assume its just web based email
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:

I assume its just web based email

As best as I can determine, Netscape email is exclusively web based.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    If Mozilla used Aqua and Quartz it would be a lot better. Until then it's too annoying to use Moz derivatives. They just don't feel right. Keep on truckin' with Safari!
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

If Mozilla used Aqua and Quartz it would be a lot better. Until then it's too annoying to use Moz derivatives. They just don't feel right. Keep on truckin' with Safari!

I dont know, safari hangs on some web sites and netscape seems faster to me. Unless Apple improves safari, I may switch over to netscape, especially if i start using their email
  • Reply 8 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It doesn't do simple things like go to the bottom of the page with Cmd-Down. That one thing bugs me in every browser that doesn't do it. No Google search bar either. Yes I know you can type in something after a question mark and search it but it's not as nice. Bookmarks are handled best in Safari. Safari needs to update the engine, and get some of those Prefs that Moz and OmniWeb have like pipelining, helper applications, pop ups, and security configurations like Mozilla (and blech, Windows IE) have. And also a real HISTORY and DOWNLOAD Manager. And a Composer might be cool to add to Safari 3. Mozilla's Composer is great.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Yeah, lack of a good download manager is why i stopped using Safari (that and because ive always used Netscape on the PC and when i got my mac i saw no reason to change). I like the download scheme in Netscape better because it allows u to pick where u want to download to on the fly as opppsed to safari which u have to change the download folder in preferences. Since i download alot of "files" i like the former alot better
  • Reply 10 of 29
    I find the oddest thing is that the Apple Store downloads amazingly slow on Safari, even with a cable modem, and Netscape loads it much faster.

Netscape isnt without its flaws, though, so I am going to continue to test it out.

Safari really needs to be beefed up in my opinion.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Another thing that I notice Safari is missing. Netscape has a way to add certain icons to the bar-AIM, Mail, Home, and others. It would be nice to have AIM as an icon on the bar because I may start using AIM for my email and cancel the rest of my AOL service. I am using a cable modem now and paying $15/month to keep my screen name but after I move to cali, when I return to NY to visit my mom, I want to be able to have internet access which she wont have. If I keep my AOL screen name and just use AIM I will be able to have access to email. Then, when I am here visiting I can just tell AOL that I want dial up access again, then cancel it once more when I return to cali.

Man, what a pain in the ass!

On topic again, Safari just doesnt have enough options and its pretty boring to look at. Two things alien to Apple. They need to get cracking.

As for Firefox and Opera, Im tired of the beta game and I want to be sure the browser will be around for a long time. Safari is a sure bet, Netscape would most likely be the second best bet. (see added text below)

OK, I need to add something here. When I download JPEGs from AOL's built in browser I find that Preview doesnt recognize the file format. So, I have always used Safari instead of AOLs browser.

I just downloaded a JPEG using Netscapes browser and the same thing happens. I have never had a problem with preview recognizing JPEGs downloaded using Safari.

Now, after the problem with Netscape I used Safari to download the same pics that Preview had a problem with and now I get the same problem with preview! Preview didnt recognize the same JPEGs downloaded with Safari. What the heck is going on? Netscape has gone from a very possible replacement for Safari to about to be deleted from my hard drive in 2 days flat!
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

OK, I need to add something here. When I download JPEGs from AOL's built in browser I find that Preview doesnt recognize the file format. So, I have always used Safari instead of AOLs browser.

I just downloaded a JPEG using Netscapes browser and the same thing happens. I have never had a problem with preview recognizing JPEGs downloaded using Safari.

Now, after the problem with Netscape I used Safari to download the same pics that Preview had a problem with and now I get the same problem with preview! Preview didnt recognize the same JPEGs downloaded with Safari. What the heck is going on? Netscape has gone from a very possible replacement for Safari to about to be deleted from my hard drive in 2 days flat!

Preview recognizes AOL JPEG files just fine. Just drag and drop them onto Preview. You can also change the default application from AOL to Preview by using File>Get Info.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Netscape was the very first browser I used. I wonder what version it was. That was on a Performa back in 1997 (the Performa was from 1995).

I continued to use Netscape for several years when I switched to PC, but I then began using Explorer on PC. On my new Mac I have used Safari almost exclusively, but I'm wondering if I should change. I might download Netscape. I have Firefox, Camino, and Explorer on my mac too. Isn't it crazy how many browsers we put on our machines these days? Explorer for Mac is a joke IMHO. I find it the worst browsing experience I've ever had.

I want to start deleting some browsers off my mac. I don't really think I need Firefox with Camino. Camino is the browser I'm thinking about switching to. It seems very fast. I also find it funny that other browsers load Apple.com at a much speedier rate than Safari.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    I've had a chance to use Netscape 7.2 for a while now and I like it. I find it stable and very reliable. It is much faster at downloads and page updates and changes than Safari. I've also tried Mozilla, Firefox and Camino and found Netscape to be the best.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:

Preview recognizes AOL JPEG files just fine. Just drag and drop them onto Preview. You can also change the default application from AOL to Preview by using File>Get Info.

Really? I didnt know that. I will give it a shot.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Right now I would recommend avoiding downlaoding netscape. At first I thought it was good but now i find it be extremely unreliable to the point that it wont even allow me to submit a feedback form! Its their own damn server so whats the problem?

Also, do NOT sign up to the netscape network and email. It is very unreliable and buggy. I also cant seem to find a way to cancel my account. Its very frustrating.

Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Netscape was the very first browser I used. I wonder what version it was. That was on a Performa back in 1997 (the Performa was from 1995).

I continued to use Netscape for several years when I switched to PC, but I then began using Explorer on PC. On my new Mac I have used Safari almost exclusively, but I'm wondering if I should change. I might download Netscape. I have Firefox, Camino, and Explorer on my mac too. Isn't it crazy how many browsers we put on our machines these days? Explorer for Mac is a joke IMHO. I find it the worst browsing experience I've ever had.

I want to start deleting some browsers off my mac. I don't really think I need Firefox with Camino. Camino is the browser I'm thinking about switching to. It seems very fast. I also find it funny that other browsers load Apple.com at a much speedier rate than Safari.

• Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by chipz

I've had a chance to use Netscape 7.2 for a while now and I like it. I find it stable and very reliable. It is much faster at downloads and page updates and changes than Safari. I've also tried Mozilla, Firefox and Camino and found Netscape to be the best.

Whatever you do dont join the netscape network-there seems to be no way out of it.

I deleted firefox from my computer and as soon as i can figure out how to delete my netscape email account Netscape is next to be deleted. For now I will live with safari's faults.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:

Tried it, doesnt work. preview will not open AOL JPEGs no matter how I try.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:

Any idea how to cancel the account? I see no way to do it and I cant even contact them. The service is so buggy and unreliable i want nothing to do with it anymore.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Tried it, doesnt work. preview will not open AOL JPEGs no matter how I try.

Following your first post on this issue, I tested it for myself. I did nothing novel. I performed only MacOS X standard GUI operations. The bottomline is that the JPEG files that I downloaded were completely unexceptional. Everything worked as expected. I used the lastest AOL client for MacOS X. I am running MacOS X 10.3.5. If I were a betting man--and I'm not--I would bet that your problem lies between your keyboard and your chair.