Linux to Overtake Apple as #2 Desktop OS.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Linux Set To Unseat Apple as Number Two Desktop OS

"We're not capturing Mac users and migrating them to Linux," HP Linux Marketing Communication Manager Jeffrey Wade told TechNewsWorld. "What we're seeing here is the market share for the Linux desktop, which is primarily an alternative to a Windows desktop, just starting to grow and [overtake] Apple's market share."

By John P. Mello Jr.

LinuxInsider

08/10/04 8:08 AM PT

Apple better get a damn Powerful CPU, soon or its over.

People are sick of windows, but not sick of playing where the PC have the most powerful systems. Tiger wont help for sh*t unless there is a undisputed champion PowerMac that comes with it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    And we have been hearing this for *how* many years?

Why do you think did Linus Torvalds switch to a PowerMac?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Any proof of that - sounds interesting!
  • Reply 3 of 40
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I wonder how many of those systems end up as dual boot or using an old MS license.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    The above quote is false. From Google stats, June 2004:

• Reply 5 of 40
    When Linux does indeed become number 2 it will only mean good things for the web. Site will have to become more standards compliant en the same goes for multimedia content. Or am I being naïve here
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by mugwump

The above quote is false. From Google stats, June 2004:

You do realise Google isn't actually an accurate reflection of the installed base?
  • Reply 7 of 40
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Google doesn't post their statistics anymore due to people abusing it (using it as hard statistics). Anyways it's a GOOD thing that Linux is gaining installed base, as it breaks the Windows dominance. And it's not like Mac users are switching to linux.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Wow...I have to have this discussion all over again.

Linux becoming number is not bad news for Apple at all.

Linux gaining marketshare means a few things. Because most switchers are Windows to Linux switchers (for reasons I and others mentioned on ArsTechnica) and not Mac to Linux switchers, the marketshare that is dropping is Windows marketshare. The Mac marketshare is left relatively undented.

This is good because Linux uses much more open standards than Windows. Linux gaining a few points in marketshare means developers will start taking Linux more seriously and code their apps and web sites with standards (OpenGL, OpenAL, etc.) Content will be use standards formats (MPEG2, MPEG4, etc.) instead of proprietary formats such as Real or WMF.

This also means Linux can break MS' stranglehold which may allow Apple to gain (or not) some marketshare.

I could go on and on about the pros of all this. There are very little cons to the situation...if the situation is even real at all.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

You do realise Google isn't actually an accurate reflection of the installed base?

Surely one of the most accurate and unbiased reflections you could find on the web.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

Any proof of that - sounds interesting!

It's hard for Apple to compete with an OS which is pretty solid, free and works on computers 10 years old.

The big news will be when Linux takes the #1 position on the desktop.

Either way, Apple wins, because developers would easily be able to port Linux apps to Mac.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

assumeing that the linux is limited to desk/laptops and servers, to be fair it should not include embedded OSes like linux in the TIVO, that number is a whole differant ball of wax, or it should be.

but lets take the numbers at their face value.

Lets look at what may cause this:

Linux:

(x) runs servers great

(x) rock solid

( ) looks great to the end-user

(x) comes with tons of great apps right out of the box

( ) Easy to use for any one, little to no technical knoledge

(x) Works on PPC, G3,4,5.

(x) works on most x86 units sold in the past ~5 years.

Windows XP home

( ) runs servers great

( ) rock solid

( ) looks great to the end-user

( ) comes with tons of great apps right out of the box

( ) Easy to use for any one, little to no technical knoledge

( ) Works on PPC, G3,4,5.

(x) works on most x86 units sold in the past ~5 years.

Mac OSX (Panther)

(x) runs servers great

(x) rock solid

(x) looks great to the end-user

(x) comes with tons of great apps right out of the box

(x) Easy to use for any one, little to no technical knoledge

(x) Works on PPC, G3,4,5.

( ) works on most x86 units sold in the past ~5 years.

Apple is one step away from haveing it all, COME ON APPLE< OPEN UP OS X TO THE REST OF US (i.e. those of us who want and would gladly pay for your software but are leary about buying laptops and consumer desktops that cost too mutch and use 4 year old chip sets, in short, STOP FUCKING US ON HARDWARE)
  • Reply 13 of 40
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 134member
    i think the info is not that important. It has more to do with the windows vs Linux ratio then anything else.

So, Linux becomes number 2...so? Only means ppl using a PC are actually wanting to have a better os and in the end they will end up with a Mac

6 Months ago i was going to switch from Windows to Linux as well. Read a few forums, selected my distro and was reading up on everything i could get my hands on. The quote you will read most is that Linux is as good as windows, just lacking support. Then i read a post from someone using Linux for quite a while and my quote might not be accurate, but it went something like this :

'after years of using Linux and getting quite good at it, i decided to switch. I want a OS that has all the support and that works as it should work, withouth all the problems of drivers, problems installing etc. So that's why i am going to buy a Mac.' end of quote, he wished the community good luck and all hehe So i actually didn't bother anymore......
  • Reply 14 of 40
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think it's simple.

#1) People don't want to use windows because it sucks. But, they still want the fastest computers, that can give them the option to do anything they'll ever want to do very very well.

#2) A PC can do everything a Mac can pretty much just as well as a Mac, but there are a handful of seriously important things that Mac's cant do anywhere near as well as PC's.

If you get the hardware the rest will fall into place. The Mac OS just rulez @ss, but the Mac hardware is second best, and always falls short.

And now it's going to be the 3rd best choice.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Apple is one step away from haveing it all, COME ON APPLE< OPEN UP OS X TO THE REST OF US (i.e. those of us who want and would gladly pay for your software but are leary about buying laptops and consumer desktops that cost too mutch and use 4 year old chip sets, in short, STOP FUCKING US ON HARDWARE)

That will never happen. The first five minutes of Steve's second coming were devoted to killing tirth party Mac-hardware. It's Apple's bread and butter (and the iPod).

I do know it would be good for the installer base to use x86 hardware, though.

But I also know that everything wouldn't work as well with the 100% hard- and software integration we have now. Question is: does that make up against a far greater installer base ?
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Two points:

1: Linux taking marketshare from Windows is *only* a good thing for the Mac. More software, more compatible websites, more acceptance, less lock-in etc. etc. If the IT journo's weren't such a bunch of pricks, this Linux 'overtakes' Mac story would be spun as 'Non-Windows market share doubles' (Non-IE browsers too). Add to that the number of non-desktop systems (PDA's phones, set-top boxes, consoles etc) and Window's dominance is under serious threat. But no, we need to continue the Apple-dying meme.

2: Linux is stealing the bottom end of the market (company call-centre roll-outs, low-end email and web boxes, the third world). The more it takes, the better Macs look at the top end (Power-users, video and photo editing, software developers).
  • Reply 17 of 40
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Two points:

1: Linux taking marketshare from Windows is *only* a good thing for the Mac. More software, more compatible websites, more acceptance, less lock-in etc. etc. If the IT journo's weren't such a bunch of pricks, this Linux 'overtakes' Mac story would be spun as 'Non-Windows market share doubles' (Non-IE browsers too). Add to that the number of non-desktop systems (PDA's phones, set-top boxes, consoles etc) and Window's dominance is under serious threat. But no, we need to continue the Apple-dying meme.

2: Linux is stealing the bottom end of the market (company call-centre roll-outs, low-end email and web boxes, the third world). The more it takes, the better Macs look at the top end (Power-users, video and photo editing, software developers).

Not that you were replying to me, but that's not my point. The point is - If their abandoning windows why are they choosing something other than the best OS out there instead? It's all about the hardware.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Not that you were replying to me, but that's not my point. The point is - If their abandoning windows why are they choosing something other than the best OS out there instead? It's all about the hardware.

I agree, this is partly why 97% of the world uses something other then Mac. Apple has the best software and lame hardware (excluding the Powermacs) Apple has made a big effort to sell only to the pro's while its consumer line has been crippled and very weak in hardware and performance. who wants a new machine thats weak and cant run new consumer apps and games? Can you walk into any store and get anything Mac anymore? not unless you live in Kalifornia Apple has problems but they dont care they are selling pods,pods and more pods.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

Actually it's all about the software I'd say. If you go x86 on Linux you can run Windows programs very easily or switch your systems back to Windows completely. The same is not true for a mac. When you switch to OS X it is a substantial capital investment and you are locked into it so you have to be damn sure it's the correct course.

Simple fact is OS X is an alternative but Linux is cheaper and I'd bet most of the sales are heading to enterprise where they only use simple functionality and are trying to cut costs and maintenance.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Surely one of the most accurate and unbiased reflections you could find on the web.

On the web maybe but it isn't accurate. It relies on the fact that the shipped units are a) being used for web browsing and b) use Google to search. It also relies on the fact there is no bias in search engine usage between platforms.