What could this be?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
My friend who works in the Charles De Gaul airport posted this pic on my .Mac account.

Says they've been unloading stacks of heavy computer boxes all weekend.

Took a look inside one in an elevator...

pic

Comments

• Reply 1 of 525
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    thats one BIG tablet!!
  • Reply 2 of 525
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    finally a leak of the new imac????

anymore pics?
  • Reply 3 of 525
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    How about an Apple Cinema Display.
  • Reply 4 of 525
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

finally a leak of the new imac????

anymore pics?

umm probably just the 30 inch displays, or maybe even 23 inchers. you;d be surprised how heavy those displays are.
  • Reply 5 of 525
    so thats the apple logo top centre. its grey/alu. it looks BIG (to my eyes). and we can't see behind it because there looks like nothing else apart from screen on the front or this edge
  • Reply 6 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

umm probably just the 30 inch displays, or maybe even 23 inchers. you;d be surprised how heavy those displays are.

the 23" display i saw had a white strip down the side, which this hasn't. have not seen a 30" though...
  • Reply 7 of 525
    Shit you're right, that is not a cinema display.
  • Reply 8 of 525
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

the displays have the logo at the bottom of the screen not the top. also the bezel is too wide and the whole frame is too deep.
  • Reply 9 of 525
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    I will ask if he's got any more pictures.
  • Reply 10 of 525
    Can't you just call your friend and ask him what the product name was on the box? Seems the easiest solution to me.
  • Reply 11 of 525
    Yes, ask what the hell this is! Very interesting, some sort of iMac or tablet thing. WiFi airport express controller or something, but all that screen, lol?

Cool, in any case. Good hoax too, if it is one.
  • Reply 12 of 525
    Quote:

Can't you just call your friend and ask him what the product name was on the box? Seems the easiest solution to me.

I will tomorrow, I can't get hold of him till then.

He knows I'm a Mac user that's why he thought I'd be interested, but he didn't say anymore.

Here's what he said, make of it what you will...

"hey dude, look what I've been unloading today. These things weighed a ton. Thought you'd be interested as your a mac geek"
  • Reply 13 of 525
    He doesnt have a cell phone?
  • Reply 14 of 525
    You mean to tell me that your friend works at Charles de Gaulle airport and opened a sealed box he was supposed to be unloading?

And he still works there?

I smell a fish.
  • Reply 15 of 525
    It wouldnt be that hard to open one of those boxes up, there's no platic wrap on the outside of a box.
  • Reply 16 of 525
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Nice that the chucklehead didn't see fit to, oh, say what the BOX SAID.

This almost seems a staged, self-consciously-mysterious thing.

Then again, it matches nothing else in Apple's line-up and that appears to be a little Apple logo at the top. If it was a Cinema Display (the absolute closest thing it could be), where are the white sides? And the Cinema Displays aren't that thick, are they? And they certainly don't have that much bezel surrounding the screen.

Interesting. Although in this age of Photoshop and web-based hoaxes/jokes, I tend to keep myself in check until more evidence is presented.

Not gonna wet my pants just yet...

Who knows...

\
  • Reply 17 of 525
    He works shifts, I can't ring him till tomorrow.

I have emailed him so if I get a reply I'll let you know.
  • Reply 18 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

It wouldnt be that hard to open one of those boxes up, there's no platic wrap on the outside of a box.

It does seem strange that Apple would be shipping unannounced machines in their retail packaging for anyone in the airport to see. If I recall correctly, Apple usually ship new machines to trade shows in locked metal shipping containers.

This just seems odd. Stranger things could happen, I guess.

If it is in fact the iMac G5, I like it. Much cleaner looking than I expected.
  • Reply 19 of 525
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Looking at the Apple logo on the box, it looks like someone just rotated the Apple logo on the bezel itself in Photoshop. And yes, Apple clearly states the contents on the outside of the box. No need for an Airport employee to sneak one into an elevator to knife it open. A foul air definitely has settled over this thread.
  • Reply 20 of 525
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    Maybe that's a new 17" consumer monitor. You know how heavy those monitors are? The old ones are a ton of bricks.

Whatever it IS, the question remains, on how and why this person was able to see an apple box, then to open it, when he himself is not a rabid apple fan, willing to take the risk of being fired just to see the what's on the inside.

On the other hand, if this is the new iMac, or new monitor or whatever, maybe apple is shipping them to the site in boxes, for sale IMMEDIATELY after the PhilNote.

But that begs the question. Why not just read the outside of the box?

I'll believe or won't belive at the keynote.