Tiger build for Paris Expo?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    What about the open/save dialog boxes? Do they have a search field in them like in the Paris build?

Mike
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

I get the same thing on my 1.5Mbps connection. Also wondering what build version Tiger is at Paris.

H.264 is gonna change all that.... in ways we can't even imagine now. H.264 streaming display? Movie rental store (stream your movie)?

well, Macworlds will surely be a lot more fun to watch!
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zab The Fab

H.264 is gonna change all that.... in ways we can't even imagine now. H.264 streaming display? Movie rental store (stream your movie)?

well, Macworlds will surely be a lot more fun to watch!

Indeed.

Steve keynote streams will be a lot more fun to watch...iChat will be more fun to use...movie trailers will be a lot cooler looking...

H.264 will be one awesome codec.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Did you get to see what the new Apple menu is hiding?

Nothing new, it's the same, just looks like the spotlight menu in the menu bar. Seems to be infinite on the left too, which will make Fitt's law fans happy

Didn't check the open/save panels, will try to do so today.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SYN

Nothing new, it's the same, just looks like the spotlight menu in the menu bar. Seems to be infinite on the left too, which will make Fitt's law fans happy

Didn't check the open/save panels, will try to do so today.

One thing that I would hope they fix is that the Apple menu can freeze along with the front most app. For example if Safari gets stuck and you try to go to force quit under the Apple menu you will find that you can't access the apple menu. You have to first switch to another app and then go to the menu.

Of course you can just use Command-Option Escape, but new users don't always use that and the with the Apple menu frozen they may think their entire computer is affected.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by SYN

Finder updates instantly when new files are created (touch foo in the Terminal for example)

Well, that's great news. I would also presume that files update instantly too?i.e. when a window is in list view sorted by date modified, newly modified files instantly jump to the top of the listing without having to click them first.

-Heady
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Ok, had a little more time with the build:

the menu bar is indeed "glossy". Menus still have stripes though.

open/save panels have a spotlight search field, similar to what we have now on Panther in Finder windows.

QT is the shit
  • Reply 28 of 38
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

One thing that grabbed my attention during the keynote was the mention of an updated graphing calculator. Does anyone have any info?

Look into the package contents of Panther's Calculator; you'll find something interesting there.

Yes, Panther's. Not Tiger's.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Look into the package contents of Panther's Calculator; you'll find something interesting there.

Yeah I knew about the plug-ins for calculator. I am hoping for something new (or more powerful) for Tiger's calculator.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Tiger's Calculator has a powerful "Programmer View" with ASCII to Unicode conversion, Binary conversion and several other nice features.

I'm sure the graphical part will turn out nice, too.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Hi guys,

Yes the computers with Tiger installed are strictly guarded by Apple staff. They won't even let you play around with the OS yourself - they pretty much operate the machine infront of you demonstrating everything.

However...

I got real pushy with one of the staff when he couldn't understand what I meant when I asked what the build number was (he was French, so English wasn't his first language).

In one brief moment I grabbed the mouse and opened the damned System Profiler to read that the build number is...

8A244

This was on Tuesday 31st August, and infact, the very same guy admited to me that they were putting a newer version of the beta operating system on later in the week (so it's possible they had newer builds).

It pretty much looked like the same build that Phil Schiller was demonstrating - it has the blue corners on both sides of the menu bar and Automator was called Automator (not Pipeline) unlike certain builds being distributed on the net. ;-)
  • Reply 32 of 38
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Yeah, I knew about that since Macworld told me how in 2003.

Why the hell don't they have those in the plugins folder to begin with? It's not like they're 'beta' or anything.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    So if the open/save boxes have SpotLight search boxes, what happens when you start typing in them? What happen in the dialog window?

Mike
  • Reply 34 of 38
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

So if the open/save boxes have SpotLight search boxes, what happens when you start typing in them? What happen in the dialog window?

I imagine that the window is replaced by a list of search results, much like a Finder window... and clearing the search field returns one to either the column or list view.

This will be wonderfully useful. A very rough screenshot from the Expo was grabbed, see here.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SYN

QT is the shit

Care to elaborate?
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Care to elaborate?

Well, I was talking about QT Player. It's been rewritten, and it shows. Live window resizing, going to full screen doesn't lag anymore and has a nice "zoom" effect. The best part is the iPhoto style OSD when in fullscreen, which allows full control on the movie playing. It's better threaded too (which probably means QT is thread safe now), even though performance is a bit lower than Panther for the moment.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

One thing that I would hope they fix is that the Apple menu can freeze along with the front most app. For example if Safari gets stuck and you try to go to force quit under the Apple menu you will find that you can't access the apple menu. You have to first switch to another app and then go to the menu.

Of course you can just use Command-Option Escape, but new users don't always use that and the with the Apple menu frozen they may think their entire computer is affected.

I'm glad someone else wants this changed. I've never understood the rational behind it behaving that way.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Paradise

I'm glad someone else wants this changed. I've never understood the rational behind it behaving that way.

There's never been any rationale in this. It's an obvious oversight, IMHO. Since an application normally cannot modify Apple menu items, the Apple menu itself should live its own life.

On the other hand, though, any menu is technically one solid window and such separation could make mouse-click dispatching a bit tricky. I'd say the developers went the way of least resistance.