Apple receives new patents for adjustable display, iPod dock

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple awarded with patents for an updated snake-like adjustable display device and the iPod music player docking station.



The United States Patent and Trademark Office this week issued Apple Computer a second patent for a "display device with a moveable assembly," which was filed on October 3rd, 2003.







The snake-like display arm featured in the most recent patent filing is strikingly similar to an Apple display arm design that was awarded a patent back in April of 2004. The only visible differences between the two is that the latest design appears to feature a slightly thinner tube and is attached to an iMac sporting a pyramid base.







At least two patents that were filed by Apple last year feature sketches of an iMac flat-screen computer with a pyramid base, suggesting that the company may have considered this approach for its third generation iMac before rejecting it in favor of the just-released, behind-the-monitor design.



Apple was also awarded a patent for its 3rd generation iPod docking station. The company filed for this patent on April 25, 2003.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    You know, somehow I don't see the next iMac being a pyramid with a snake arm



    Another "just in case" patent.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

    Originally posted by nagromme

    You know, somehow I don't see the next iMac being a pyramid with a snake arm



    Another "just in case" patent.




    This snake arm iMac patent was reported on months ago.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

    Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

    This snake arm iMac patent was reported on months ago.



    It's not the same patent, however. Obviously nothing groundbreaking here. I just figured folks would be interested to see the design process Apple went through when searching for ideas for the iMac G5.



    Best,



    Kasper
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Not sure I understand the patent for the dock... What is it for? "Ingenious line out port that is connected to the docking port of the iPod?"
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Since what was important in the patent was the snake arm, I doubt the pyramid shape was nothing more than a means to keep secret a future iMac basic shape.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    chabigchabig Posts: 622member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Stephane

    I doubt the pyramid shape was nothing more than a means to keep secret a future iMac basic shape.



    The whole point of a patent is to obtain the right to prevent someone else from doing what you are doing. There is no need to keep the shape secret. In fact, a design patent exists solely to protect the shape or the device.



    Chris
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

    Originally posted by chabig

    The whole point of a patent is to obtain the right to prevent someone else from doing what you are doing. There is no need to keep the shape secret. In fact, a design patent exists solely to protect the shape or the device.



    Chris




    Except that the patent is for the arm, not the base.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kasper

    It's not the same patent, however.



    http://www.macobserver.com/columns/d...20030407.shtml



    Sorry, you're late to the party.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

    Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

    http://www.macobserver.com/columns/d...20030407.shtml



    Sorry, you're late to the party.




    For the second time: It's not the same patent discussed there. The one above was filed in 2001 (D487,893) and the one we are talking about was filed late last year (D495,332). I tried to explain this in the article... I guess my attempt failed.



    Kasper
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Guess I read it too fast. Such an ugly design. Things could be worse.
Sign In or Register to comment.