Who pays this moron and why?!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Nobody have answered to the question : who paid this moron ?

Every person who read the original article paid that moron, that's who.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Every person who read the original article paid that moron, that's who.

Thanks god I did not read it
  • Reply 23 of 36
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    If this guy is getting people riled up he must be a good writer...I used to read his stuff a long time ago in PC magazine. But then after a while, it looked like they were just writing to make themselves look better instead of reporting on the industry...It's like when ESPN just used to report the news..now they're trying to make themselves the news...
  • Reply 24 of 36
    dinodino Posts: 34member
    Yeah, Dvorak is pretty dumb. I skip his little thing entirely when I read PC Mag.

Quote:

"The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse.' There is no evidence that people want to use these things."

-- John C. Dvorak, SF Examiner, Feb. 1984.

Man that is so hilarious!!
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by dino

Yeah, Dvorak is pretty dumb. I skip his little thing entirely when I read PC Mag.

Man that is so hilarious!!

Anyone here remember when he wrote for Macworld magazine? What the hell was that all about?
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

If this guy is getting people riled up he must be a good writer...I used to read his stuff a long time ago in PC magazine. But then after a while, it looked like they were just writing to make themselves look better instead of reporting on the industry...It's like when ESPN just used to report the news..now they're trying to make themselves the news...

Really? If he has to rely on shock tactics to get readers? If I say Apple sucks people are going to get riled up. It doesn't make me a good writer.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    No he's not a good writer. He just knows how to push the buttons of Mac people. He had a column in Macworld... The Last Word type of thing on the back page.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sparhawk

has he ever touched a Mac in his life? And how can you rant and rave and then say 'even if i am wrong...'

must be hard being John C. Dvorak

believe it or not, i believe he used to WRITE for a MAC magazine long ago. was it macuser, before they got swallowed by macworld/ziff-davis?

(edit: okay, maybe i need to read threads all the way... darned attention-deficit... i blame mtv... anyway, i guess it was macworld. now i need to comb through my years of back issues to see how much this guy flip-flops from then to now. hey, maybe he can run for public office!)
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

I nominate that this thread stay in TI where it belongs.

Really? I nominated it to be moved the a new forum: Permanent Insanity.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by macfly

The architecture is risky. First of all, they jammed the entire computer into the screen, making the idea of changing "monitors" or screens impractical.

That's been the whole idea of the iMac since its inception. Someone hasn't been paying attention to the basic design of AIO computers. Strike one.

Quote:

are awkwardly and inconveniently placed on the back of the bulky monitor-computer.

[/B]

I find the port placement very convenient. All in one place. 2 inches think is hardly "bulky". I'm typing this on my mom's Dell and believe me, this Dimension desktop IS bulky.

Quote:

Perhaps if the company took the plunge and followed the path of Sony with branded cameras, headphones, amplifiers and home theaters in a box it would be more interesting. But milking this one pricey and faddish device is going to ruin the company if it is going to be the center of attention, which it now seems to be.

[/B]

I have to agree here. They can't stick with the iPod as their all-star forever. We need more DLDs! Not toasters and fridges, but HD picture cameras, a new PDA sooner or later since Palm's support sucks.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

"The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse.' There is no evidence that people want to use these things."

'Nuff said.

LOL I'll use it as my new signature. Thanks.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Actually Dvorak hated the name. He wanted to call it a "rat".
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Turning down the Dvorak hyperbole meter I see that he is complaining about the same things many on these boards have mentioned.
    • Port placement.

• Cable clutter from everything connecting off the back of the monitor.

• Lack of a headless consumer machine.

• The form mandating a weak GPU because of heat issues. (This is just speculation, but why else put such a "last year" GPU in?)

Re: Colors. Yes, it appears Dvorak has been asleep the past 5 years or so.

Quote:

I much prefer a trackball.

So while Dvorak is an ignoramous, he did get a few things right if you filter out the noise.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    All my cables are on the back of my Sunflower 17" iMac. There is some clutter because of it. However, the new iMac has a central hole in the stand where you can route the cables through. Seems a good idea to me as it keeps them close together and neat.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

All my cables are on the back of my Sunflower 17" iMac. There is some clutter because of it. However, the new iMac has a central hole in the stand where you can route the cables through. Seems a good idea to me as it keeps them close together and neat.

exactly
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Very smart observation. I hadn't thought of that. I thought it was only for the power cords, but yeah, it would be pretty easy to dump all your cables thru the hoop on the stand/base.