Notes: New Tiger seeds, Xsan build 7N135, ProBand

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
While waiting for new seeds of Mac OS X Tiger, developers receive a new build of Apple's network file system.

Xsan

Apple Computer yesterday seeded developers with Xsan build 7N135, the latest developmental version of the its high-performance SAN file system for Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server.

The build, which reveals a sporty Xsan logo, weighs in at approximately 52.7 MB and includes Xsan Admin 1.0 (v35).

Apple announced Xsan in April and offered an early beta to customers who met qualifications. A subsequent release--entitled Xsan Developer Preview-- was provided to developers in late-June at the company's World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC). The software is expected for release in the Fall of 2004.

New Tiger Builds

Meanwhile, well placed sources claim that Apple will begin distributing new external builds of Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" as early as next week.

According to one source, Apple may initially deliver builds only to its AppleSeed program, which retains a much more exclusive subscriber base than the Apple Developer Connection (ADC) program, and typically consists of the company's largest third party developers and customers.

Unlike the first seed of Tiger, which was available exclusively on DVD, sources say that Apple will be distributing both CD and DVD copies of the new builds.

To date, Apple has provide developers with only a single, minor update to the build of Tiger distributed to attendees of its WWDC.

ProBand

Last month Apple registered for a United States trademark on the word "ProBand," suggesting that the company may be developing a professional version of its GarageBand application aimed at mainstream and professional music artists.

According to the filing, Apple describes ProBand as "Computer Software."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Professional Garageband = Logic Pro(Apple Loop support)

I think ProBand will be a grouping of plugins that will be sold as an add on pack to Logic Pro.

Logic Pro will have full Apple Loop support. I'm not sure about Logic Express but if Apple is smart LE will have AL support as well.

I want to be in Appleseed! Let's get that next Tiger build out. It's been what 2 months there should be some nice tweaks.

edited to state that my post is just speculation.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Professional Garageband = Logic Pro.

ProBand will be a grouping of plugins that will be sold as an addon pack to Logic Pro.

Logic Pro will have full Apple Loop support. I'm not sure about Logic Express but if Apple is smart LE will have AL support as well.

I want to be in Appleseed! Let's get that next Tiger build out. It's been what 2 months there should be some nice tweaks.

don't forget Soundtrack
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by jherrling

don't forget Soundtrack

Oh yes. I'm expecting big things from Soundtrack once it hits version 2.0. Plus all those ST loops will play in Garageband and Logic Pro 7
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Proband is the new name of the next version of Logic (Emagic will stop to be a separate company).
  • Reply 5 of 10
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by macstrider

Proband is the new name of the next version of Logic (Emagic will stop to be a separate company).

Emagic was a different company that Apple gobbled up and meshed into their corporate strategy..................

Kasper
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I sincerely hope Apple will not rename Logic to ProBand and I find that ProBand sounds rather amateurish.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

I sincerely hope Apple will not rename Logic to ProBand and I find that ProBand sounds rather amateurish.

They won't. Emagic and the Logic brand have had a following since the Atari days when it was called Notator before being renamed to Logic. Branding is very important..rarely do you see a name change unless there is some trademark issue(see Rendezvous)

ProBand could be a lot of things but I doubt it's a new composition app. Apple's audio lineup is already well defined

Free- Garageband

$199- Soundtrack(no soundtrack isn't being renamed Proband)

$299- Logic Express

$999- Logic Pro

ProBand should be be a bundle of the plugins displayed at NAMM 2004. These plugins use very modern modeling paradigms and are fairly extensive at first reflection. Many Logic users thing they will be bundled with Logic 7 but I doubt that.

1. Because of the expense of developing said plugins.

2. Because not everyone needs a new synth, drum box and Guitar Amp simulator.

3. Because Apple is a company that needs to generate revenue and the other changes in Logic 7 are sufficient to warrant upgrades(better UI, better import/export, more efficieny and hopefully waveburner pro built in).

Apple stand to make the most money by seperating the two products.

Logic Pro 7 for $999

Proband plugins- $499

$1498 gets you a DAW with plugins to handle almost every need. Hmmm makes me think ProBand may be the audio version of the Production Suite. All the same it hinges around the plugins.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    sounds good and I hope you're right. Hope the plugins will work with Digital Performer as well.

Quote:

Emagic and the Logic brand have had a following since the Atari days when it was called Notator before being renamed to Logic.

[OT] I know - used to be a Notator user myself. Liked the pattern options of that program a lot. When they moved to the Mac I couldn't get used to the new way of working so I switched to Studio Vision (now defunct) and later to Digital Performer. Still miss Notator and Vision a lot!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    What about that Tiger build, any info as to wether it materialized or not?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    hi all!

it seems that apple is beginning to enter the semiprofessional area of music producing, if they try to combine garageband and logic (i hope proband is just a addon)...

does anybody know if apple "bought" emagics developer team or if they do a whole new thing? i`m just asking because i had very bad experience with apple support. i had a chirpig g5 and a lot of trouble with apple until i told them that the next call they would get would be my lawyer... finally, six months (!) later, my problems have gone (yipee).

now apple controlls the whole logic thing, that concernes me a bit.

and what about the apple/microsoft connection? is apple already completely overtaken by microsoft?

greets fill