Sources provide Microsoft Virtual PC 7.0 screenshots

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
With Microsoft's release of Virtual PC 7.0 to manufacturing this week, several sources close to the Redmond-based software giant were able to obtain finalized copies of the product. A collection of screenshots from the soon-to-be released emulation software package are included in an exclusive AppleInsider photo gallery.

View the Virtual PC 7.0 Photo Gallery

Complete Virtual PC 7.0 product details are now available from Microsoft's Mactopia Web Site. The company has also published an online Virtual PC 7 Demo created in Flash. Retail copies of software should begin appearing on store shelves by early October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Hate to tell you this...your "several sources close to the Redmond-based software giant" haven't given you finalized versions of VirtualPC 7.

You can tell by a number of "clues";

1) Build number, it's exactly the same as the beta build number, which is a date

2) The user manual says "Version 6.1" clearly on the first page.

You've got the July beta (build number tells all!).

AppleMatt
  • Reply 2 of 18
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleMatt

Hate to tell you this...your "several sources close to the Redmond-based software giant" haven't given you finalized versions of VirtualPC 7.

You can tell by a number of "clues";

1) Build number, it's exactly the same as the beta build number, which is a date

2) The user manual says "Version 6.1" clearly on the first page.

You've got the July beta (build number tells all!).

AppleMatt

The shots are combined from more than one source. So I assume some could be from the beta, but several are also from the final. Aside from the version numbering, the beta and the final look the same cosmetically, as far as we could tell. Many overlapping shots showed no differences between the submissions.

See here: http://www.appleinsider.com/vpc7gallery.php?image=21

That's of the final. Compare it when it is released in retail.

Best,

K
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Can someone (anyone) confirm if Virtual PC 7 has direct graphic card access?

There are a lot of people who want to play Doom 3 on their Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Is it just me or are pics 25 on broken?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Is it just me or are pics 25 on broken?

It's not just you. They are broken.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by elbay

• Reply 7 of 18
    I have to use VPC to demo a small Windows app for a service I sell. Keep 98SE, 2000 and XP loaded - just in case.

The two things I was looking for in VPC 7.0 were the ability to increase the memory used by VPC and also the ability to capture the card slot on a PowerBook. Looks like the memory situation is taken care of, but I don't know about the capture.

I think that 7.0 is going to have a significant speed increase and that increase will help a lot of business travelers who have to have Windows for certain apps switch to the PBs.

By the way, Windows is more stable on my PB than it is on a PC.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rejuevie

It's not just you. They are broken.

Guys -- there are only 24 pictures! The navigation tools below the images work fine. I guess I should fix the script to throw people back to #1 if they go beyond the last picture in URL calls.

Best,

Kasper
  • Reply 9 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

See here: http://www.appleinsider.com/vpc7gallery.php?image=21

That's of the final. Compare it when it is released in retail.

If that's of the final, someone better tell Microsoft about OS X font management. :/
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Kasper, no problems I see the build number you linked to is later. At least now you'll know which sources are real and which are winging it.

Whoever asked about direct video card access, Microsoft claim it has video acceleration over the previous version but haven't said anything about direct access. They also claim a 10-30% speed increase over 6.1.1 depending on what you're doing. I've been told that it's "snappy", but typically that's just a term used for every upgrade.

Eitherway, you could never run Doom3 within it, just the emulated hard-drive is a complete bottle neck.

AppleMatt
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Does anyone remember the Orange Micro PC cards that allowed you to run a x86 chip in your Mac?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Not really, I remember the DOS cards for the Quadras though. I really wanted one of those!

AppleMatt
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Going back to the "Emulated hard drive being a complete bottleneck". What if you had a second hard drive and it was Windows formatted?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Going back to the "Emulated hard drive being a complete bottleneck". What if you had a second hard drive and it was Windows formatted?

I've never had personal experience with this, I don't know if it's even possible. I still think there will be other things you'll run into, for one I'm sure the graphics card isn't directly accessed or Microsoft would have advertised it. Even still, all CPU calls have to be translated too. Sound as-well. It's just going to be a nightmare.

I think you're going to get orders of magnitude better performance on a PC or when Doom 3 arrives for Mac, the Mac OS X native version.

AppleMatt
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleMatt

Not really, I remember the DOS cards for the Quadras though. I really wanted one of those!

AppleMatt

I would pay $$$$ for one, stick it in my G5, and throw my PC away

I mean they make really small laptops, why cant someone figure out how to fit it in a G5 on a PCI card.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Doom 3 will be out for Mac soon enough, just be patient. Even if VPC had direct graphic card access, no Mac on Earth could emulate a PC fast enough to run Doom 3 under Windows.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

I have to use VPC to demo a small Windows app for a service I sell. Keep 98SE, 2000 and XP loaded - just in case.

The two things I was looking for in VPC 7.0 were the ability to increase the memory used by VPC and also the ability to capture the card slot on a PowerBook. Looks like the memory situation is taken care of, but I don't know about the capture.

I think that 7.0 is going to have a significant speed increase and that increase will help a lot of business travelers who have to have Windows for certain apps switch to the PBs.

By the way, Windows is more stable on my PB than it is on a PC.

First off, if your app is 'small', why do you need more than 512MB?

Second, don't expect 7.0 to work with 98/2000. I don't hear them promising anything but XP SP2.

I'm also not expecting any signifigant speed increases, with the exception of what you might see on a G5 (and, if they've actually done any real work on it, like they claim, any dual-CPU machine).

And I can't imagine slow speed for business travelers kept them from buying powerbooks. If the need is only for a couple of apps, they would buy a powerbook anyway (assuming they wanted one). I can't imagine this upgrade being a boon to more powerbook sales.

BTW, I was unimpressed with the screen shots, Kind of hard to get excited about installer screen shots (which looks like they're not using the OS X installer) and preferences. But then again, kind of hard to get excited about screenshots of MS windows in general, too.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

First off, if your app is 'small', why do you need more than 512MB?

Second, don't expect 7.0 to work with 98/2000. I don't hear them promising anything but XP SP2.

I'm also not expecting any signifigant speed increases, with the exception of what you might see on a G5 (and, if they've actually done any real work on it, like they claim, any dual-CPU machine).

And I can't imagine slow speed for business travelers kept them from buying powerbooks. If the need is only for a couple of apps, they would buy a powerbook anyway (assuming they wanted one). I can't imagine this upgrade being a boon to more powerbook sales.

BTW, I was unimpressed with the screen shots, Kind of hard to get excited about installer screen shots (which looks like they're not using the OS X installer) and preferences. But then again, kind of hard to get excited about screenshots of MS windows in general, too.

Before shooting off at the mouth--keyboard, actually--you should get your facts straight. It is as simple as visiting Microsoft's VirtualPC 7 website. Had you done so, you would know that Windows 2000 is explicitly supported by VPC 7. Windows 98 is not supported, but all that means is that Virtual Machine Additions won't work with Win98. I don't like the fact that Win98 is not supported. Considering the fact that Microsoft has been trying to kill Win98 for several years now, this is hardly surprising. But, the bottomline is that I will still be able to use Win98, only without VPC 6.1.1's integration with the OS.