My actual settup

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yay ! Here's my actual workstation settup :

It is a 11 years old Mac IIci running sys 7.1 with 32 MB of ram, two Radius 32 bit video card, Daysar 68040 @ 50 MHz accelerator. 13" RGB and 16" Apple displays. 500 MB internal SCSI HD, APS external MO drive on top of an APS CD drive. At left is an Apple LaserWriter (postscript).

For technical and scientific word processing, it is a dream settup ! Very fast, very stable, very efficient. I use Nisus for word processing (page at right), Expressionist for equations (palette floating at left), FreeHand 3.1 for drawing, and Mathematica 2.1 (?) for maths. Photoshop 3.01 (?) for image processing. No internet on this machine.

IF my needs were just that, I would stick forever with this settup. No new Mac, until the machine disintegrate ! Because of internet, games, 3D modeling and other stuff, I need a new machine. Well, ...

I'LL GET MY NEW 867 MHZ DUAL IN 5 HOURS ! I'M SO EXCITED ! TODAY IS THE LONGEST DAY OF MY ENTIRE LIFE ! (well ok, almost )

What will I do with my old workstation ? Do you have any suggestions ?

[ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: Kali ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Give it to me
  • Reply 2 of 22
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Give me the laser printer
  • Reply 3 of 22
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    11 years! Respect, you are the anti-Murbot!
  • Reply 4 of 22
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    That's got to be the understatement of the year.

I'm speechless. I had my Pimso for 10 months, and haven't even come CLOSE to duplicating that feat since. Hell, I usually have my selling plans laid out before I even order a new Mac...

But not next time, honest. heh heh
  • Reply 5 of 22
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Don't believe what Murbot said

He already has THREE one-eyed Mike (tm) in order
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Give your equipment to an MacPlus owner.

Is there one on the third planet?

Well then post here!

You are the only one to rate this thread politically correct...
  • Reply 7 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by Kali:

<strong>Yay ! Here's my actual workstation settup :

No internet on this machine.

]</strong><hr></blockquote>

If that's your actual settup, where did you post this from?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    I'm posting from the iMac here at work. It's not my computer, but one of the few computers of the departement where I'm working. The picture up there shows my office at home. This good old Mac (at TRUE Macintosh ! :cool: ) is like an isolated island, or a small planet at the far away border of the galaxy. I'm so proud of this machine, because it was so efficient, so stable, so friendly for a very long period. I'm running the same old system 7.1 on it, since it came out, with some very well selected extensions and control panels !
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I received my new dual 867 MHz yesterday. Unfortunately, I'm experiencing some difficulties with it :

1-The ethernet cable for my laserwriter printer isn't the right one. I can't use my printer for now. I'll have to change it.

2-Music CDs do not mount on the desktop. iTunes isn't able to play my music ! I dunno why.

3-The Adaptec SCSI card installed inside doesn't work. I can't mount any external SCSI drive yet. This is VERY important to me and is a major pain in the ass. ?%$#&@*&(

Despite this, the machine is working properly (apparently). However, I have many negatives comments to say about the OS X installer on CD. It is much too primitive, too simple. I'll have to elaborate on this, in another post.

The new machines ARE indeed noisy. I have one at home, in a quiet environement. At least, the noise level is acceptable, but obviously Apple made a poop there ! The new G4 aren't like the iMac or the Cube. I can live with it, except when running on OS 9. In OS 9, IT IS REALLY NOISY AS HELL, LIKE ANY NOISY PC ! This is really insane. People on the net aren't exagerating at all, I can confirm that !
  • Reply 10 of 22
    There are threads about zapping the PRAM to quiet these machines when running OS 9. Check out Mac-in-touch for more details.

na
  • Reply 11 of 22
    I have a Personal LaserWriter NT and it still works like a charm
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Kali -

1 - What do you mean the ethernet cable is the wrong one? Is it not an RJ-45 cable or what?

2 - System Preferences &gt; CDs & DVDs. And check Apple System Profiler to see what it says about your optical drive.

3 - Are you sure it's the card that doesn't work? Check Apple System profiler, connect devices to it and check again.

And I gotta ask, what possible negatives about the installer could there be? Is it too simple or something? And zap the PRAM to fix the OS 9 fan noise problem.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Thanks for the reply, Xaqtly .

1-The Ethernet cable doesn't match with the Ethernet port behind the printer. There's a kind of metallic socket around the "hole" which prevent the cable to fit properly. I need a special cable for that, apparently. They gave me a standard Ethernet cable with two identical heads (look like a phone cable, only bigger). Of course, this cable fit on the Ethernet plug behind the computer. The printer is the Apple LaserWriter 12/640 PS. There are three ports behind : AppleTalk, Parallel and Ethernet. I need an asymetrical cable. The cable they gave me is a blue one, 6 foot Cat 5e Crossover cable, with two RJ45 heads. Can't fit with the printer port, apparently

2-I'll check later about the Apple Profiler for the music CDs and the SCSI card. This may be harder to solve, I don't know.

3-The installer is too simple (or "primitive") because it doesn't allow the user to cancel the process. When I installed the OS on a partition, I made a stupid mistake : I pressed the install button before realising that I wanted to do a custom install. So it took about 30 minutes, while my costum install takes only 11 minutes (or so). I was forced to run the installer again, because I wanted to remove all the useless files which saves literally 500 MB of disk space (on a relatively small partition of 9 GB). I found this a bit annoying, but the next is still much more annoying to me.

Suppose you have to restart the computer because you messed up the OS X on some partition (my experiment partition). You need to restart the computer with another partition with a clean OS X. How do you do that ? The computer just freezed ! Yesterday, I was forced to restart with the install 1 CD, and the installer doesn't give me the chance to restart with another partition. It just ask to reinstall the OS ! This is annoying to me. Maybe there is another way around, but I don't know it.

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: Kali ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 22
    You need an Apple AAUI transceiver in order to connect an RJ-45 cable to the LaserWriter 12/640PS. Look here: <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2055181447"; target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2055181447</a>;

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: btober ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I think you hold down the option key as it's restarting, it will show you all your drives and you can choose what drive you would like to boot from. Personally I agree with you, I started to reinstall OSX but you can't do anything once you start it, which is a pain because I remember some files that I hadn't backed up yet. OSX is really a great OS, but the fact that you have no control over things is very annoying. I guess they are catering more towards people who aren't the techie type. In any event, I would love to see an OSX professional version for people whoe know how to "tune" thier setups. That way I could finally figure out what the heck is going on with my USB 2.0 card. Oh well, it will never happen.

-CFPC
  • Reply 16 of 22
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member

<strong>2-Music CDs do not mount on the desktop. iTunes isn't able to play my music ! I dunno why.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Kali, have you been to Finder Preferences and told it to display removable media on the Desktop?

What exactly is the iTunes behaviour?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Thanks for the info, btober , I'll check for this. And why the hell Apple did used a non-standard Ethernet plug on its printer ? Geez !

Don't think about waiting for Apple to do a OS X "Pro" ! They don't want users to have control on their new OS.

Can somebody confirm the volume selector at boot, by pressing the option key ? I'll try it later on my new system.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    To Overhope :

Well, iTunes just don't see anything! My music list is empty (I have nothing on this new HD !). And I'm pretty sure all removable media should be visible on the desktop. Other CD (installers, for example) are perfectly visible on the desktop. Only music CDs aren't showing.

iTunes is able to eject the CD, when I click on the small button at the bottom of the iTunes window (lower right corner), even if nothing is showing. When I press the eject key on the keyboard, the CD doesn't eject ! I have to eject the CD from iTunes ! Very strange ! I'll reinstall the OS, clean and pure install after a full erase of the partition and try to reproduce the phenomenon.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member

<strong>Thanks for the info, btober , I'll check for this. And why the hell Apple did used a non-standard Ethernet plug on its printer ? Geez !

Don't think about waiting for Apple to do a OS X "Pro" ! They don't want users to have control on their new OS.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

1. 8 years ago there wasn't exactly a standard ethernet.

2. User's don't have control over OS X? A *nix? Jeeeez.

I don't mean to come down hard but there's going to be a lot of adjusting coming from an 11 year old system. Obviously you work with new systems, but getting your workflow on to the new mac is going to take some time. You know? Good luck with the new system.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member

<strong>To Overhope :

Well, iTunes just don't see anything! My music list is empty (I have nothing on this new HD !). And I'm pretty sure all removable media should be visible on the desktop. Other CD (installers, for example) are perfectly visible on the desktop. Only music CDs aren't showing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is very strange indeed. Perhaps it is your optical drive which is at fault? However you can stop media and drives from appearing on the desktop, check Finder&gt;Preferences and make sure Removable Media, Hard Drives, and Connected Servers are selected. Your music CD's aren't using any sort of Copy-Protection are they?

[ 09-28-2002: Message edited by: serrano ]</p>