iMac G5 - sighting

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

The overall impression of the machine is that it is a little more substantial than I expected in terms of the thickness of the monitor (compared with LCD panel displays)

Amazing. Now, if only someone could come up with a convincing reason for why it might be thicker than a plain monitor.....

• Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by jouster

Amazing. Now, if only someone could come up with a convincing reason for why it might be thicker than a plain monitor.....

Excuse me. I presumed that most English-reading people could properly explicate that sentence. I see it was too subtle for your limited reading comprehension skills. Let me be more explicit:

Even given the foreknowledge that the iMac G5 contained a working computer inside the monitor, the whole thing is more substantial than I would have imagined from looking at the photographs. In particular it is thicker than it appears when looking at a small reproduction on the Apple web site, and though some might have expected it to be extremely thick by necessity, others have called the iMac G5 an "iBook on a stand", which, having seen it, it is assuredly not. (To further help your comprehension on this point: the iBook is itself extremely thin.)

I hope that rewrite makes the point clearer for you. I apologize for forgetting that the new iMac is not the only thing in this world that is thick.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    Apple Soho has an iMac in the window to ogle and one on the floor to use.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    i still like the old imac/ilamp

saw the new one at frys today & didnt care for

the styling
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by stangmatt66

I had to show up an Apple staffer at South Coast who kept telling customer's he didn't know what size the screen was.

The customer's what?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    The customer's... always right?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Two different stores I went to here had just got two 17s.

At one store next to the Al display and the guy up earlier gets it wrong the Al display looks not worth it next to the 17 imac.

The 17 looks really big screen wise in person....I would not need more. It was hot like CRT is on back, but was chugging through a tonne of garageband tracks but thats not scary warm.

Anyone now what a 733 QS with 512 and combo is worth?
  • Reply 28 of 32
    regreg Posts: 832member
    They have 20" G5 next to the 20" G4 at MBS in gaithersburg MD, http://www.mbsdirect.com/ . I like the design of the older machine better but the extra speed makes up for the difference in my taste.

reg
  • Reply 29 of 32
    The Apple store Westfarms has 2 17" and 2 20" display models for people to play with. They also had 1 17" 1.8GHz and 3 20" models in stock, but that was last Friday.

Oh yeah, the demo models all had 512MB RAM.

Called the store today and all the 20" models had been sold. Good thing because I was alllllmost to the breaking point.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    I saw both the 17" + 20" @ the Old town Pasadena store.

17" = looked decent [better than previous generation]

20" = looked really monstrous.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    There is a 17" at The Mac Store in Portland, OR. Didn't like it much. But the things I didn't like about it, my wife didn't mind. I thought the screen was disappointing. It really didn't look any better than my two year old iBook monitor. Clearly, it was using older technology. There are plenty of cheap PC monitors that look better, brighter, clearer. It was plugged into external speakers so I did not try the sound. I was playing with a 1.8 GHz. GB seemed to run smoothly. But Photoshop Elements took forever to open. Once opened, it ran filters fairly well. It was quiet and easy to maneuver. My biggest complaint really is the lackluster screen. Next to the new monitors, it is downright embarrassing. And no, the Leno chin does not go away or look any less awkward in person. It is still a step up, overall, from the previous version. A brighter screen will forgive some of the lame internals.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    I saw one today at Westworld Computers in Calgary. I was very impressed with the 17" screen. After all the slagging I had heard I was almost ready to cancel my order with Apple. I thought it looked great, it looked great up close and even from an angle and accross a well lit room it looked bright and sharp. maybe you guys didn't have the brightness turned up. the vertical viewing angle left something to be desired but its even easier to tilt this baby than the old iDomes. Stability was not an issue.

I cant wait for my iMac G5 1.6 w/bluetooth keyboard & mouse. October 14th or sooner, cant come fast enough! I already have sold my eMac and it gets picked up next week It could be a month without any macs! Aaaaaarrgh!