Apple terminates world-wide Emagic distributors

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:

I would hope that "Proband" would expand mixing/mastering features missing in GB.

Wouldn't that then be Logic Express. Apple surely must figure that Garageband users needing many more features should be looking at Logic 7 Express(hopefully due Oct 31st)

I have a hard time thinking Apple is adding yet another audio app. The lineup is as follows.

Garageband

Soundtrack

Logic Express

Logic Pro

Each meets a definite need and occupies a specific cost range. I have a hard time seeing ProBand as a new app thus I must conclude that it is not an app but a set of plugins that can be purchased optionally. Nothing else makes much sense unless Apple gets silly and renames Logic to ProBand.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Wouldn't that then be Logic Express. Apple surely must figure that Garageband users needing many more features should be looking at Logic 7 Express(hopefully due Oct 31st)

Maybe I misunderstand what GarageBand is. My impression is that it's more like Reason than Logic... i.e., it is focussed on having built-in sampled instruments (piano, drums, etc.) that you can choose and play from a MIDI keyboard and build sequences from. In this context a "Pro" version of GarageBand would be something you might run as an AU or VST plug-in under logic in order to access the sounds. (Why a "pro" would want the sounds found in GarageBand escapes me, however...).

Frankly I don't really understand the appeal of Garageband to anyone except tinkerers or those just learning about computer recording for the first time. But maybe I'm missing something.

I suppose the most likely scenario is that Apple is just trademarking "ProBand" in the unlikely event they ever come up with a product that would use that name.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    radiospace.

The only problem with that is we already know that Apple is going to have Apple Loop support in the upcoming Logic 7, thus the next step up to Logic Express may give users AU and Apple Loop support for $299.

Quote:

I suppose the most likely scenario is that Apple is just trademarking "ProBand" in the unlikely event they ever come up with a product that would use that name.

Could be very true. Apple trademarks many names that never see the light of day. However I'm going to officially stick with

ProBand= the bundling of the 3 new Emagic plugins "Sculpture" "Guitar Amp" and "Ultra Beat" those together would comprise the basis of a band hence Apple marketing them as "ProBand" as a Logic add on similar to Garageband Jam Pack. Apple previewed the plugins at winter NAMM and they look extensive in scope. I doubt they will "toss" these in with Logic Pro 7 as that is a rather agressive anti-competitive move. Apple still has to keep Steinberg and MOTU happy enough to remain on the platform.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by deepkid

Also, ProBand is a horrible name to replace Logic.

Yes indeed, but it is slighltly better than Garageband Pro, isn't it?

Quote:

I would bet that a considerable amount of people who have used Logic over the years (self-included) are solo producers/artists. It's a great brand name already. Leave it be.

Start a petition
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

Frankly I don't really understand the appeal of Garageband to anyone except tinkerers or those just learning about computer recording for the first time. But maybe I'm missing something.

[/B]

I would never try to argue that GB is anything but an entry level program but over the last couple of months I've found it to be an invaluable tool for quickly recording song ideas in a reasonably polished form.

In the past I did my "hum and strum" sessions into a Sony minidisc recorder which yielded long recorded passages I'd have to sift through later for the kernals of good stuff.

With GB I lay down a quick drum track via loops or USB keyboard , play rhythm parts, get what I might have of a lyric recorded or scat over the track until something interesting arrives.

I find it a very inspiring way to work and I've doubled my output of tunes, finished or in progress, since I've started using it. The songs don't "get away" as easily and my collaborators seem enthusiastic about the Mp3's I've recently sent them.

Yes, this certainly can be considered a kind of tinkering, a truly finished recording will always require Pro equipment, expert mastering and a trained set of ears but , if i might use an artistic analogy, I find GB to be a great "sketchpad" for my potential Sistine Chapels.

In addition, as a nearly free software package, it is a brilliant enticement to have people start making music on Apple computers.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

You're right. I completely overlooked Express as part of the equation but Apple might intend to treat their "Band" and "Logic" products as never-the-twain-shall-meet suites aimed at different ends of the market.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by skeletonpete

With GB I lay down a quick drum track via loops or USB keyboard , play rhythm parts, get what I might have of a lyric recorded or scat over the track until something interesting arrives.

See, I actually didn't know you could record audio into GarageBand. That makes it a little more interesting, for exactly the purpose you've described. I use Reason Re-Wired to Cubase SX to do the same sort of work but having 2 programs creating files that must be archived together certainly complicates the process.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

See, I actually didn't know you could record audio into GarageBand. That makes it a little more interesting, for exactly the purpose you've described. I use Reason Re-Wired to Cubase SX to do the same sort of work but having 2 programs creating files that must be archived together certainly complicates the process.

That is what's particularly cool about GB, it will do audio recording, MIDI virtual instruments and allow you to choose loops all in the same project/file.

Most of my demos are straight audio - acoustic guitar, electric guitar, vocals. I'm not crazy about loops, but I WILL crib the drums, especially to save processor power if I'm using other virtual instruments.

Interestly enough, GB also works in the manner you mentioned - as a host program via ReWire. I've only dabbled at ReWire with a friend who prefers to create drum tracks with Reason 2.0 but it works seamlessly.

Also, as a Cubase user, you can convert your VST plugin library to Audio Units via a program called "VST-AU Adapter" from FXpansion.com. I haven't tried this yet.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nebula

The XSKey by its very nature obsoletes the concept of on-the-shelf shrinkwapped software. It is possibly the ultimate copy-protection device, as it is unobtrusive and, to my knowledge, not cracked (?) Emagic did not use it as such however, and continued to frustrate software buyers with no stock and long wait times for new products. In Canada the wait for Logic 5 and Logic 6 was absurd.

Let's face it: software packages worth hundreds of dollars don't belong in stores. They should be downloads. The XSKey makes it possible to authorize downloads to only run on systems with that key connected.

I anticipate Apple's other pro apps will be moved to the XSKey for copy protection.

You don't own a powerbook, do you? The xskey needs to go. Of course, if they moved it in the box it would be even worse. Say "bye, bye" to the information revolution.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Hi

For us, from abroad, this is a good new. At long last we will pay the same price.

Buying Emagic product from Germany was much cheaper than in France, now we will pay the same price