How to improve Safari by 100%!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
by putting a set of iTunes controls in the safari browser.

I am sick of constantly apple-tabbing between Safari and iTunes every time a crap song comes on.

iDunno

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Or you could look at an app called Synergy which puts the controls into the menu bar........

• Reply 2 of 36
    (selfproclaimed newbie) how would I manually put iTunes controls in safari?
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Dashboard.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by acr42

(selfproclaimed newbie) how would I manually put iTunes controls in safari?

You wouldn't, he's wishing he could.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Classic RCI.

Next I suppose you want integrated homework completion?

How about a talent button add-on for Photoshop or GarageBand?

I'd really love one of those.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

I am sick of constantly apple-tabbing between Safari and iTunes every time a crap song comes on.

Or you could control-click iTunes in the dock to skip to the next song. Or you could install iKey and map "Next Song" to an F key. I like that best, myself. F7 pause, F8 back, F9 next. Works in any app.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    rant/opinion:

Kinda sad how the Mac has been taken over my iPoders and music junkies.

Nothing wrong with a good session of working on your Mac with no music at all. Or a bus ride just sitting and thinking. Or sitting in your yard hearing birds or summer sounds.

People that need music 24/7 are gross and terrifying. The whole country sounds like one big Best Buy audio department sales floor.

People are destroying the specialness of music by making it all-pervasive. It very much is an indistinguishable droning that drugs and distracts and preoccupies their brains as they shuffle off to their daily sources of monotony.

bleh

p.s. I love my iPod and music. But I needn't inject music into every facet of my life.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Classic RCI.

Next I suppose you want integrated homework completion?

RCI? Random Component Integration?
  • Reply 10 of 36
    What next, web browsing in iTunes? "I hate having to switch from the iTMS to Safari to go to a web page. iTunes should have a URL address bar." (I do understand iTunes does render html, essentially, perhaps it uses WebKit? But that's not the point).

LOL

Actually Cyberdog was fun but you can see how people didn't "get" it.

At some point, having functionality be doled out to distinct applications makes most sense. Otherwise users aren't quite sure what app is capable of what. It'd all be a widget blur - which happens in Microsoft/Windows applications all the time.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

rant/opinion:

Kinda sad how the Mac has been taken over my iPoders and music junkies.

Nothing wrong with a good session of working on your Mac with no music at all. Or a bus ride just sitting and thinking. Or sitting in your yard hearing birds or summer sounds.

People that need music 24/7 are gross and terrifying. The whole country sounds like one big Best Buy audio department sales floor.

People are destroying the specialness of music by making it all-pervasive. It very much is an indistinguishable droning that drugs and distracts and preoccupies their brains as they shuffle off to their daily sources of monotony.

bleh

p.s. I love my iPod and music. But I needn't inject music into every facet of my life.

Is sit at my comp for up like 8 hrs at a time, and if I spent most of that time tweaking lights for a render..... with nothing but my thoughts for company... it would be a very lonely place.

Very lonely.

I like the idea of mapping to F-Keys will do that.

iDunno.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:

Is sit at my comp for up like 8 hrs at a time, and if I spent most of that time tweaking lights for a render..... with nothing but my thoughts for company... it would be a very lonely place.

Very lonely.

I like the idea of mapping to F-Keys will do that.

iDunno.

I like/need to chat using AIM, both for work and friends. When I'm in Photoshop I've often pined for a chat palette so I can chat while still being in Photoshop. But I realize the likelihood of Adobe doing that is nil. At best a company will set up a plugin architecture for such things. If Apple allowed users to alter Safari maybe it'd be great for power-users or people with very specific preferences. But I think that it then breaks the whole Apple notion of applications being self-contained, specialized, focused tools.

My wanting chat in Photoshop is not "wrong" any more than his wanting to have iTunes controls in Safari is wrong. He's right, of course. As a user, often it would be handyas would myriad other combinations of application functions. (Leading to a OpenDoc/Cyberdog type of situation). hell, why can't Safari have an FTP drawer? Or Mail could have a Newsreader pane. Etc.etc.)

A 3rd party solution is always possible though, except that Apple often makes it hard to customize/hack with their apps.

But I seriously doubt Apple wants to enable something that blurs each their app's functions like that (they dabbled with that, albeit before NeXT bought Apple. Heh. Yeah, I mean Apple bought NeXT - right.). I'm a bit riled at even having RSS mix with Safari. But if they want to do it, they should go whole hog. Safari becomes RSS/Web/FTP/Mail/Chat all in one. Screw it.

• Reply 13 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

by putting a set of iTunes controls in the safari browser.

iDunno

Why not put in DVD controls, Finder Controls, network configuration, an AIM client, an Xbox emulator, and a Photoshop toolbar?
  • Reply 14 of 36
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Or you could click and hold on the iTunes dock icon...
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Or you could click and hold on the iTunes dock icon...

How about not having any crap songs in your iTunes Library?

My preferred solution...
  • Reply 16 of 36
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 17 of 36
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    make safari for windows

on my only pc i switched to firefox

if safari for windows included itunes/ ipod interfaces that would rock
  • Reply 18 of 36
    I've been using Sizzling Keys for iTunes (sk4it) to adress this very issue and have been more than happy with it.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Boukman

I've been using Sizzling Keys for iTunes (sk4it) to adress this very issue and have been more than happy with it.

They tackle it from the proper perspective. Globally, not per application.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Use to use PTHiTunesNotifier back in Jaguar for this, but have moved on to Synergy after "PTH" dropped his apps and passed of the huge, bloated, expensive (when all you need is iTunes interface) mass that is You Control.

But I digress. I also spent a good chunk of time on my various machines either in BBEdit, Photoshop/ImageReady or similar. This has been working for me fine for some time:

Control + Left/Right Arrow: Prev/Next Track

Control + Up/Down Arrow: Rank Up/Down

Control + Keypad 0: Show Song Information (aka What is this track?)

Control + Keypad dot: Show/Hide iTunes (aka Select new playlists or tracks)

Control + Keypad enter: Pause (aka Someone needs my attention IRL)

You'd think I use spacebar for something, no. That is reserved for LaunchBar. Don't know what that is? Don't worry. We will all be using it in one form or another in Tiger, Apple calls it Spotlight.