Apple Introduces Logic Pro 7 & Logic Express 7

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Computer today introduced Logic Pro 7 and Logic Express 7, the next major releases of its award-winning professional music creation and audio production software applications used by more than 200,000 musicians and audio engineers worldwide.

Logic Pro 7 includes new software instruments such as Sculpture, a component-modeling based synthesizer; UltraBeat, an innovative and powerful drum machine; and new plug-ins including Guitar Amp Pro, a full-featured guitar amplifier simulator.

Along with over 100 workflow enhancements, new mastering plug-ins and support for Apple Loops, Logic Pro 7 debuts distributed audio processing, a revolutionary technology which allows audio pros to tap into a virtually unlimited number of Macs to expand available Digital Signal Processing (DSP) power.

Logic Express 7, a streamlined version of Logic, provides a basic set of professional tools for students, educators and advanced hobbyists at a price of $299. Logic Express 7 and Logic Pro 7 both come with support for projects from GarageBand, Apple's consumer music creation software, offering users a smooth migration path to high-end audio production.

New software instruments in Logic Pro 7 include Sculpture and UltraBeat providing customers with more options to create unique sounds and generate drum and bass sequences. Sculpture simulates the behavioral characteristics of a vibrating string or bar and provides users with the ability to control and create their own dynamic and expressive sounds. UltraBeat is an innovative and powerful drum machine utilizing several types of synthesis including FM, subtractive, sample-based and component modeling. UltraBeat consists of up to 25 independently modifiable drum voices and includes a uniquely designed integrated step sequencer.

New plug-ins in Logic Pro 7 include Guitar Amp Pro, a new full-featured guitar amplifier simulator that recreates the sounds of 11 of the world's best known guitar amplifiers. Users can configure their own real life sounding amplifier with detailed options including 14 speaker cabinet selections, microphone type and placement, as well as EQ type and settings. Additionally, Logic Pro 7 includes new mastering plug-ins, such as Linear Phase EQ and professional metering, to fulfill the needs of audio post production professionals.

Logic Pro 7 introduces distributed audio processing, a revolutionary technology that allows audio pros to tap into a virtually unlimited number of Macs to expand available DSP power. The result is an audio and music production system with processing power previously unimaginable for native based systems. This breakthrough feature allows musicians and audio engineers to be even more creative by using a virtually unlimited number of plug-ins to create and process sounds.

Logic Pro 7 includes support for Apple Loops, the powerful open-standard file format that allows users to quickly find a loop by instrument, genre or mood. Apple Loops in Logic Pro 7 provide complete real-time flexibility for changing and adjusting the sound and notes in a loop. Workflow in Logic Pro 7 is significantly improved with over 100 productivity enhancement features including song templates, channel strip save and recall, professional shuffle and auto crossfade edit modes, directly accessible from the arrange window. Additionally, users can compile and burn CDs to the Red Book standard with WaveBurner, a stand alone mastering and CD burning application included with Logic Pro 7.

Pricing & Availability

Logic Pro 7 is available now through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $999 (US). Registered users of Logic Pro 6 as well as Logic Platinum, Logic Gold 5 or Logic Gold 6 can upgrade to Logic Pro 7 for $299 (US). Logic Express 7 will be available in October for a suggested retail price of $299 (US). Full system requirements can be found at Apple's Logic Web site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    ...and Emagic is officially gone.

www.emagic.de
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Patrik_L

...and Emagic is officially gone.

www.emagic.de

What ever happened to emagic harware. Where is the link to Apple's home page or has that gone too.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    The biggest thing in here for me is Distributed Audio processing. Where you can have several Macs processing the audio.

But mostly because this could mean the distributed video processing could be coming down the road.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by tak1108

The biggest thing in here for me is Distributed Audio processing. Where you can have several Macs processing the audio.

But mostly because this could mean the distributed video processing could be coming down the road.

Could? It's for sure coming.

Apple isn't investing time and money into Xgrid, Xsan and Xserves for nothing. Apple knows distributed computing is the future...especially now that all CPU makers have hit a magical wall.

I wouldn't be surprised either if Apple brought these capabilities to consumers in a few years. It keep reinforcing my grand vision of a computer in every room of the house all communicating between them via wireless/Airport and sharing HD storage and CPU time between themselves.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by tak1108

Totally agree. Not only is this a major strike at owning the music production market, but it signals an age soon coming when all of the really cool Apple techs are finally coming together. The integration possibilities are staggering.

Also, back on Logic, looking through the Apple site I have to say that this looks like some amazing new tech. I have been working in studios since the eighties, and this is a dream system. The range of included instruments, effects, capabilities is mind boggling. Truly a studio in one package. I am vintage keys freak, and own several Rhodes, Wurlitzers, and a B3. I just upgraded to Logic and heard their recreations, and they are the first ones I would use instead of the real thing. The built in synths and samplers are all there, along with almost all of the processing functions you could want. This was an old program plus a jillion plug ins rolled into one. One question, are the virtual instruments Audio Unit plug ins, i.e. could we call them up in other apps?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Edu pricing is nice $149 and $499. It looks like logic express is in my future.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    I read the front page caption too fast!

I wonder that Apple has to say about most of its artists on the iTMS!

On another note, the new Logic apps look awesome.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Anyone know if the GUI changed much on Logic Pro 7?
  • Reply 9 of 33
    resres Posts: 711member
    $299 is an expinsive upgrad for someone who bought Logic Pro just 3 months ago...
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

$299 is an expinsive upgrad for someone who bought Logic Pro just 3 months ago...

So, what should be the cut-off date? Four months ago, five, maybe six. What about the poor guy who bout it six months and one day ago. He should get the upgrade price too? Then what about the guy who bought it six months and two days ago? I could go on forever. It's three months. If the new features are worth $299 then people will upgrade or they could wait until Logic 8. Apple isn't forcing anyone to upgrade. People upgrade because they find the features beneficial and worth the price.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

People like you are hopeless...I always buy my products the moment they first start shipping to avoid this kind of thing.

Of course, I haven't been in a situation where I absolutely had to buy something and couldn't wait until the next upgrade but that's what I do...if I missed the boat and I know an upgrade is coming or a new product, I wait.

It's your fault for not doing your homework as a consumer.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    I wonder if Apple will offer cross-grading...

Im running DP4 but Logic looks like the all in one package I need.... Stuggling artists like me dont have the cash to upgrading and buying the stuff Native Instruments keep releasing and Logic just came out with B3's, FM Synths, Drum Machines, Vocoder, Guitar Amp Sims etc all in the one package!!!

Please, oh please Apple.... save me from myself and let me cross-grade for a reasonable (insert small) amount of coin!

*fingers crossed*
  • Reply 13 of 33
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

One question, are the virtual instruments Audio Unit plug ins, i.e. could we call them up in other apps?

No. All Logic plug-ins are part of the core program and always have been, this makes them very efficient CPU wise. Also Apple has no interest in you using other applications.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

So, what should be the cut-off date? Four months ago, five, maybe six. What about the poor guy who bout it six months and one day ago. He should get the upgrade price too? Then what about the guy who bought it six months and two days ago? I could go on forever. It's three months. If the new features are worth $299 then people will upgrade or they could wait until Logic 8. Apple isn't forcing anyone to upgrade. People upgrade because they find the features beneficial and worth the price.

I don't think that there should be a cut off date. I think that the upgrade from Logic 5 gold/platinum should be $299, and the upgrade from logic pro 6 should be $159.

Right now the upgrade offer is the same $299 for people who have logic 5 gold or platinum, or logic pro 6. A lot of people who recently upgraded or purchased logic pro 6 are complaining about the price. How would you feel of you upgraded from 5 gold to 6 pro for $200 a few weeks ago and now had to pay another $299 for go to logic 7? You would feel that you had wasted $200.

If I thought that they were going to charge this much for the upgrade I would have put off getting Logic Pro 6. I'll end up getting the upgrade (unless I decided to ditch Macs altogether), but it means that I can't afford the Mic preamp that I was planning to buy next week. So I will about the price.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

Illogical Captain...
  • Reply 16 of 33
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

Right now the upgrade offer is the same $299 for people who have logic 5 gold or platinum, or logic pro 6. A lot of people who recently upgraded or purchased logic pro 6 are complaining about the price. How would you feel of you upgraded from 5 gold to 6 pro for $200 a few weeks ago and now had to pay another $299 for go to logic 7? You would feel that you had wasted $200.

I agree with your situation!

I personally was about to buy Logic Pro 6 [I have Logic PLatinum 5] ..... and with today's unexpected announcement, Apple saved me from buying Logic Pro 6 and upgrading straight to Logic Pro 7.

There really should be a different upgrade pricing for Logic Pro 6 users.

Though I don't have Logic Pro 6, I completely understand the frustration of recent Logic Pro 6 users who upgraded.

• Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

People like you are hopeless...I always buy my products the moment they first start shipping to avoid this kind of thing.

Of course, I haven't been in a situation where I absolutely had to buy something and couldn't wait until the next upgrade but that's what I do...if I missed the boat and I know an upgrade is coming or a new product, I wait.

It's your fault for not doing your homework as a consumer.

I knew it was coming out sometime this fall or winter, but I didn't think that they would be charging this much for the upgrade from Pro 6. The upgrade from logic 5 gold to pro 6 was only $199 -- why would anyone expect them to charge $299 to go from Pro 6 to Pro 7? I thought that the upgrade would cost between $129 - $199. I was wrong, but it is not do form lack of research.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    again, where is the Emagic hardware.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Am i the only one excited about the inclusion of the pitch corrector? I was just thinking of buying the TC electronics pitch thingie for my powercore.. wich costs about the same as the logic upgrade

And another thing: is logic now gonna be a direct competitor to protools? Except that Instead of buying additional accel cards you'll have to buy xserves or g5's... ? Gosh i'm so excited...

The question of emagic hardware bugs me also. Emagic's website says that support is continued, but what about development? Is the whole line of products discontinued? Even AMT's and unitors?
  • Reply 20 of 33
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

Just a thought, but upgrade pricing could be done on a scale. That is, if you bought the product a month ago, the upgrade is free. 2 months ago, and it's $99. 3 months ago and it's $199; etc.