Thought on new iMac education model.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Sorry i wasn't clear... I meant in the Powermacs... not the iMac. Even though I don't consider the 9600 pro that hot... There are GPU coolers you know.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by exhibit_13

Unless they packed mobile parts in it, they have to stick with what they deal with. and by using mobile chipsets, they aren't building a desktop, they're building an oversized notebook with a stand.

The iMac already is an oversized notebook with a stand. In fact, I'm hoping the Rev. B has either a MXM or Axiom card so one can actually upgrade the graphics.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Where are you seeing the educatoin model? Is it not out yet? I have checked both the regulat apple store and the one through my school...no iMac G5 has no optical drive. Is it only available by special order or something.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by freakyfreak

Where are you seeing the educatoin model? Is it not out yet? I have checked both the regulat apple store and the one through my school...no iMac G5 has no optical drive. Is it only available by special order or something.

It's a special model that can only be purchased by schools.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    dorndorn Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Keyword.... GAME....

Professional applications such as cinema, Maya, etc... take full advantage of it. This is a complaint to professionals... not gamers.

You are right though... 5200 in bottom and mid g5 is INSANE! I still don't get why we can't just drop a 9800xt off of the pc market side and flash the rom with MBToolkit. Anyone wanna elborate on this one?

I'll give it a stab... just my 2 cents of course...

few reasons,

1. heat - 9800 chipset is WAY hotter than 5200. Would have to significantly redesign the heat management for that config.

2. power - 9800 chipset takes a lot more power, may require a bigger ps.

3. cost - lets pray the days of $3,000+ imacs are over, more expensive chipset = higher price

4. politics - I'm guessing there's always negotiation for chipset quantities and quality.

However, what is kinda cool is take a look at emerging PC portable trends. Things like new busses and upgradeable graphics chipsets are hitting the higher end portable computers (re: Alienware). So my personal hope is that down the road these things will be more readily upgradeable.

I'd love to see an iMac G5 with a 6800 chipset, i can just imagine the 10k RPM iTurbine attached to the back. (now then you MAY see one melt)...