iMac G5: So hot it may melt, literally

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,350member
    Did c't mag also say what and where they took the measurements? Those numbers were the surface temps of the LCD screen? Internal temps in back?
  • Reply 22 of 28
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Did c't mag also say what and where they took the measurements? Those numbers were the surface temps of the LCD screen? Internal temps in back?

I don't know, let's see if philby has anything to add in this discussion.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Hmm, I just read in the other thread philby's post about the german magazine c't. They measured a temperature of 48 C in the upper left corner of the new iMac, while TFTs are designed to operate in no more than 40 C. It seems something is not right here.

Uh, Uh, Uh,

"

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

"

is what am iMac is rated for. The operating temperature is the AMBIENT room temp, not the temp of the product itself.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Uh, Uh, Uh,

"

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

"

is what am iMac is rated for. The operating temperature is the AMBIENT room temp, not the temp of the product itself.

No one said otherwise. We talk about thermal tolerance of the LCD here and c't suggest TFT screens are rated for no more than 40 C. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 25 of 28
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I don't know, let's see if philby has anything to add in this discussion.

Unfortunately, they didn't go into more detail. The text of the paragraph is, roughly translated:

«Using a infrared thermometer, we registered temperatures of between 34 deg. celsius (right bottom) up to 48 deg. celsius (top left) on the surface of the display. This means that the heat generated by the components [meaning CPU etc. -P] does in fact "go over" to the LCD -- which could be detrimental to its lifespan. Normally, modern TFT diplays are spec'd up to 40 deg. celsius, and produce an operating temperature of about 30 deg. celsius through the back-lighting.»

They do not state how they stressed the CPU/GPU/disk/CD before measuring these temperatures -- which I'd think they did.

This wouldn't keep me from buying one... actually, it won't 8)
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Apple sponsored an "email room" at a conference I attended this week, and it was loaded with 20-inch G5 iMacs. I'd say there was ten or so identical machines in the room.

There were no noise issues, or heat issues with these machines. I used them for three days, and they ran all day and night.

I picked one up at one point, to feel the weight, and it was cool, no heat was noticed.

The topic of this thread is way off. I mean anything is possible, anything could go wrong with anything. But I would have noticed if there was a heat issue, with a room full of G5 iMacs.

I believe the people sitting at the macs, had bigger heat issues than the computers... 98 degrees times 10...
  • Reply 27 of 28
    I'm not taking a stance, but I'm sure an iMac running in a cool AC environment will be a markedly different situation than one running in a household cooled au natural on a sweltering summer day. I know my iBook feels the difference.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Well we're already having 30 degree days here so as soon as mine appears I'll be sure to tell you how it copes because the upstairs of this place isn't air conditioned and that's where it's going.