6800 3D rendering issue/bug

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've been playing UT2004 and Halo on my new G5 2.5 since last Friday and everything was screaming until yesterday, when suddenly lots of white "dashes" appeared on the screen, flickering like crazy. I quit the game (UT at that time) and the dashes disappeared. So I restarted the game, and they were back again, even in the main menu page - sort of strobing/flickering. I tried changing resolutions etc. - no change (apart from the size of the "dashes"). I called MacSoft - they asked me to trash a couple of files - no change. Tried it with Halo - same thing.

Just got off the phone with Apple tech support. After about 15 mins on the phone with them (and eventually discussing with a senior tech) they told me this is an issue with the 6800 card. It's something they are aware of and are looking into it but don't have a fix as of now. It's a 3D rendering issue (I re-ran the Cinebench tests and the same effect occurred).

Well, that's a pain, but I just wanted to inform anyone who might be curious about the 6800/G5 combination that there's a nasty bug out there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by auslander

Well, that's a pain, but I just wanted to inform anyone who might be curious about the 6800/G5 combination that there's a nasty bug out there.

Thanks. Hopefully, 10.3.6 will fix it.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    This is exactly why I didn't rush out and order one when they started shipping . . .

I just don't trust situations when the vendor (nVidia) can't get something done when they promised because there always end up being bugs or things they missed.

But hey, as soon as those things are worked out I'll got ahead and order!

• Reply 3 of 21
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    How are your framerates in Onslaught?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

How are your framerates in Onslaught?

To be honest, I've not been playing in that mode. I can check it out for you. How do I check frame rate?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

To be honest, I've not been playing in that mode. I can check it out for you. How do I check frame rate?

I think hit the tilde key, then type stat fps and hit enter... frame rate should show up in a corner somewhere.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

I think hit the tilde key, then type stat fps and hit enter... frame rate should show up in a corner somewhere.

Holy crap! I never saw that game mode before. It's awesome - I almost forgot to come back and report framerates!

For the most part I saw mid 50s - lowest was 42 and highest was 72 I think. Resolution was 1900x1200.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    it could be something in your INI files, atleast for UT. strange though indeed
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

For the most part I saw mid 50s - lowest was 42 and highest was 72 I think. Resolution was 1900x1200.

That's damn sweet, especially at that resolution.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

That's damn sweet, especially at that resolution.

Well, I presume that it's because there's a lot going on in ONS mode that the framerates are low, but in the modes I usually play, I saw rates of 100 - 120 constantly (in BR and Instagib modes).

Can't wait to try ONS mode more once I understand it. By the way, in this slew of tests the odd strobing was mild at first, then got less and less until it went away completely. Weird. No crashes at all, touch wood.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Holy crap! I never saw that game mode before. It's awesome - I almost forgot to come back and report framerates!

Oof!

I'm sorry I just passed out! Goodness...

Must control myself. Must wait for Rev. C, must wait for Rev. C...

Screed
  • Reply 11 of 21
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    This is the kind of reports I was waiting for before ordering a 2.5GHz G5 with that card. (although I never imagined the G5 constraints, or the 6800 delays) I was hoping (dreaming) that it would be able to compete with PC cards in 3D renders. Sometimes being a Mac user isn't all its cracked up to be. Unless Apple reworks the PowerMac by MWSF and does something to make PC graphics cards close to plug, and play. Rather than Mac, and PC versions. I am going to have to buy a highend PC with all the bells, and whistles as a second computer to survive instead of a new PowerMac.

THis isn't the first issue with 3D, and OpenGL on the Mac that is plaguing my ability to have a competitive workflow.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

This is the kind of reports I was waiting for before ordering a 2.5GHz G5 with that card. (although I never imagined the G5 constraints, or the 6800 delays) I was hoping (dreaming) that it would be able to compete with PC cards in 3D renders. Sometimes being a Mac user isn't all its cracked up to be. Unless Apple reworks the PowerMac by MWSF and does something to make PC graphics cards close to plug, and play. Rather than Mac, and PC versions. I am going to have to buy a highend PC with all the bells, and whistles as a second computer to survive instead of a new PowerMac.

THis isn't the first issue with 3D, and OpenGL on the Mac that is plaguing my ability to have a competitive workflow.

Well, since my original post outlining the bug I've had far better luck. The "dashes" have since completely disappeared, for whatever reason. Of course this is the nature of bugs. I have no doubt this will be addressed asap.

Buying a high-end PC won't make you immune to bugs (I own two and they are full of them)
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Not my point. The card, the computer, and the rendering isn't even trying to be competitive. The options for PC highend 3D graphics cards are endless, and what I was hoping Apple could deliver. They can't.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Not my point. The card, the computer, and the rendering isn't even trying to be competitive. The options for PC highend 3D graphics cards are endless, and what I was hoping Apple could deliver. They can't.

The 6800 Ultra is on par with high end graphic cards on the PC. Apple is not attempting to deliver a system that is open to third party manufacturers. It is a closed architecture.

To say that the 2.5 G5 with the 6800 is not competitive is wrong. Pricing may not be the best, but if that was a concern shared by everyone, Apple would be out of business.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

The 6800 Ultra is on par with high end graphic cards on the PC. Apple is not attempting to deliver a system that is open to third party manufacturers. It is a closed architecture.

To say that the 2.5 G5 with the 6800 is not competitive is wrong. Pricing may not be the best, but if that was a concern shared by everyone, Apple would be out of business.

It's not competing, or even a contender, and is no where near the level it could if Apple were to change the way the graphics was handled on the Mac, and open it up more to PC card compatibility.

It competes with none of these cards. Most of them would most likely more than double the performance of that basic 6800 in 3D apps. SOme of them will do more than double the performance, and the Pure Card is still a PCI.
    • Nvidia Quadro FX3000 256MB AGP

• Nvidia Quadro FX 3400 356MB PCI-E

• Nvidia Quadro FX 4000 256MB AGP

• Nvidia Quadro FX 4000 SDI 256MB AGP

• Nvidia Quadro FX 4400 512MB PCI-E

• Nvidia Quadro FX 4400G 512MB PCI-E

• ATI FireGL X1 128MB AGP

• ATI FireGL X1 256MB AGP Pro

• ATI FireGL X2 256T 256MB AGP

• ATI FireGL X3-256 256MB DDR AGP

• ATI FireGL V3100 128MB DDR PCI-E

• ATI FireGL V3200 128MB DDR PCI-E

• ATI FireGL V5100 128MB DDR PCI-E

• ATI FireGL V7100 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E

• Wildcat VP990 Pro 512MB AGP

• 3DLabs Wildcat 4 7210 384MB AGP

• 3DLabs Wildcat realism 800 PCI-E

• ART VPS PURE Rendering Card DUAL PCI 16X

• ART VPS PURE Rendering Card PCI 8X

• Reply 16 of 21
    Onlooker, those cards are so far out of the consumer and prosumer market I think it's totally ridiculous to expect Apple to have any BTO options for cards like that.

According to ATI and nVidia there hasn't been sufficient professional demand for these cards to be made compatible with OS X.

I expect that this will change in the future with OS X becoming increasingly popular - but for now and in the forseeable future WinNT and Irix will remain the popular OSes for high end 3d production.

I don't know why you were expecting the GeForce6800 to compete with high-end 3d card solutions on the Mac when it doesn't even do so on the PC.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    That being said, you're 5 posts away from '1337' which is awesome.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by cinder

I edited this quote down to the 1 sentence I was adressing

~onlooker

Onlooker, those cards are so far out of the consumer and prosumer market I think it's totally ridiculous to expect Apple to have any BTO options for cards like that.

You misunderstand what I'm saying. Rethinking the graphics on the motherboard design, and do away with the Mac cards all together. Start using PC cards. If apple opened it up it would not be difficult to get hardware developers to send PC, and Mac versions of compatible drivers with most of the cards, and a lot we cant get right now. Initially a few cards would come with it, but eventually as emails, and demand rose they would port them all. Especially if people like Pixar, and other studios who use Mac's asked for them.

Another really highend Video Content card the Nvidia Quadro FX 4000 SDI. These cards practically had "I want Final Cut Pro" written on them from their inception.

THats what I'm getting at. BTO is not applicable here. I'm talking about BYO (bye your own)

This could also help in pricing with some of the BTO options. Apple would have to have a few cards to chose from at the store, but having them made Mac specifically would no longer be equated into their pricing.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

You misunderstand what I'm saying. Rethinking the graphics on the motherboard design, and do away with the Mac cards all together. Start using PC cards. If apple opened it up it would not be difficult to get hardware developers to send PC, and Mac versions of compatible drivers with most of the cards, and a lot we cant get right now. Initially a few cards would come with it, but eventually as emails, and demand rose they would port them all. Especially if people like Pixar, and other studios who use Mac's asked for them.

Another really highend Video Content card the Nvidia Quadro FX 4000 SDI. These cards practically had "I want Final Cut Pro" written on them from their inception.

THats what I'm getting at. BTO is not applicable here. I'm talking about BYO (bye your own)

This could also help in pricing with some of the BTO options. Apple would have to have a few cards to chose from at the store, but having them made Mac specifically would no longer be equated into their pricing.

The problem is that cards need to be modified to speak to the Mac's OpenFirmware, a non-trivial task.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by cinder

That being said, you're 5 posts away from '1337' which is awesome.

He's there now. (Yes, I got a screenshot for posterity)