Tidbits: QuarkXpress 6.5, photo iPod, headless Mac, wireless video

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
QuarkXpress 6.5 in October

True to reports, Quark on Tuesday announced QuarkXpress 6.5, boasting several new features that were previously revealed in a August AppleInsider report.

In its press release, Quark states that the software will be available in the next 30 days as a free upgrade to registered owners. According to the usual suspects, the company has its heart set on releasing the software during the last week of October, with an official rollout currently scheduled for Thursday the 28th.

Photo iPod Manufacturing

The next version of Apple's popular iPod digital music player will indeed sport a larger (60GB) hard drive, 2-inch color screen, and photo viewing capabilities. This we never doubted. But why the player has been sluggish to follow its 20 and 40GB cousins to market remains an enigma.

Apple is now reportedly in the process building the new 60GB iPods overseas, but has been met with mediocre manufacturing results. According to tipsters, a complication stemming from the 60GB Toshiba hard drives (not the iPod) has slowed production of the units. "[It's] not going as well as they expected," said one well-placed source, who offered no further details. The issue is not believed to be a critical one.

Rumor: Headless Mac in Development?

Macintouch--a long time Mac news site that has prided itself in steering away from questionable or rumor-based content for the last 10 years--recently cited a source that claims Apple is developing a "tiny computer" sans monitor. Without commenting further, we welcome our readers to duke this one out in the forums. [See Macintouch Oct. 6th edition]

Airport Express AV?

Popular rumor had it that just prior to the release of Apple's Airport Express base-station, the company was toying with a similar product that added wireless video capabilities. So it's interesting that tipsters are now pointing to a "WirelessVideoOutput.oxygene" plug-in that has found its way into the contents of Apple's recent iDVD software offerings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Ai just posted this rumor about Apple developing a small headless computer:

Quote:

Macintouch--a long time Mac news site that has prided itself in steering away from questionable or rumor-based content for the last 10 years--recently cited a source that claims Apple is developing a "tiny computer" sans monitor. Without commenting further, we welcome our readers to duke this one out in the forums. [See Macintouch Oct. 6th edition]

• Reply 2 of 11
    I know I'm a natural cynic, but what makes anyone believe that a "tiny computer" would offer cooling capabilities sufficient enough to handle what forum readers have been kicking and screaming for - a gaming machine? I would love to see it just once in my life when a consumer Mac can do what 21st Century consumers want. I'd love them to be one of those cube designs like we saw in the forums some time ago that looked like mini PowerMacs. That would be cool, but I doubt Apple would ever do that.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by s_sarinana

Ai just posted this rumor about Apple developing a small headless computer:

um, duh?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    So this might be Powermac 9,1 and not the new eMac(G5?). All I can say this,

Welcome Back Cube!!!!

If it is true.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

um, duh?

Um, I posted this before the moderators made a whole new thread...and they just moved my thread into this one...so that explains the double post.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Woooooot!!!

Come on Apple - you know you want to If I had to choose between a cube G5 (that looks like the pmac G5 but smaller) I may go for it...

Mike
  • Reply 7 of 11
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Well, not to demean AI or MacIntouch, but Macintouch has been posting items direct from AppleInsider for a while now (with links, not just rehashing the content). So to say they steer away from rumor-based content is questionable at best (sorry, AI, but I have to call your site a 'rumor' site).

And for all we know, the source they have is the same one AI used to get their report... (or was that someone else with the headless iMac reports?)
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kagekage Posts: 3member
    I recall reading on the 5th or 6th about a "stripped down" Apple computer using a G4 processor. Said machine was for a specific Asian market (I want to say Indonesia or Malaysia) and would not be available any where else. I remember reading this before the Macintouch story and then thinking Macintouch must be talking about this planned mac.

I cannot locate the original article or web site I read this on. It was near the end of the article.

Sorry this isn't more help, but I believe this new computer will not be seeing the shores of North America.

Edit: here's the article saying *Thailand* "has tied up with Apple Computer (Thailand) to launch a cheap Macintosh computer project.

Information and Communications Technology Minister Surapong Suebwonglee said yesterday that the computer would be a Macintosh G4 and it would be sold under the market price. "
  • Reply 9 of 11
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Well, not to demean AI or MacIntouch, but Macintouch has been posting items direct from AppleInsider for a while now (with links, not just rehashing the content). So to say they steer away from rumor-based content is questionable at best (sorry, AI, but I have to call your site a 'rumor' site).

And for all we know, the source they have is the same one AI used to get their report... (or was that someone else with the headless iMac reports?)

You're right. I meant that they do not publish many of their own rumors. But, no, I don't think we ever mentioned a headless mac before today (at least not since the cube).

Best,

K
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Airport Express AV would quench my 'computer/TV merger' thirst. If Apple could allow DVD Player to stream movies to the TV and if Apple provided a SDK to allow 3rd-party apps to stream graphics and sound content to TV/speakers (such as emulators streaming game graphics and sound to the TV), I'd be in heaven.

I don't expect the SDK to come anytime soon but I would at least like to see DVD Player, iPhoto and iDVD be the first AV-stream-capable apps.

DVD Player, however, is unlikely to happen. I'm guessing security measures will be needed before Apple is allowed to sell this thing. And if this security measure is anything like the one in the current Airport Express incarnation, the computer would have to encode into a secure lossless format, send that bandwidth hog into the air, and then allow Airport Express AV to decode it before sending it to screen.

Most Macs are probably not fast enough to do this on-the-fly...or are they?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Airport Express AV would quench my 'computer/TV merger' thirst.

Why not get a Radeon 9200 or 7000 PCI (both ~$130)?

I have a 7000 can run video lan client full screen on the TV (using S-video or RCA) and do other things at the same time.

The only problem is, Apple's DVD player doesn't support this feature, so I have to rip the videos using MacTheRipper first to get rid of the region code, and then play them with VLC... or I can just not use my computer and put my full attention on the DVD.

I can do all this and run my 2nd monitor at the same time.

I have a G5 now but it worked fine with my dual 800.