Apple snags patent for aluminum G5 enclosure

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple issued patent for design of Power Macintosh G5 enclosure.

The United States Patent and Trademark Office on Monday issued Apple Computer a patent for the ornamental design of its professional Power Mac G5, as shown and described in a series of diagrams.

The patent's documentation credits the design of the enclosure to the same Apple industrial design team responsible for company's Power Mac G4 casing, with one addition--CEO Steve Jobs.

Apple filed for the patent on July 29th, 2003, approximately one month after introducing the Power Mac G5 at its annual World Wide Developers Conference in San Francisco.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I'm glad they have the patent. I have a G5 and its one of the coolest computers i've seen. This just seperates Apple even further from the PC world.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    They 'snagged' the patent. This makes it sound like the patent was thrown up in the air, and Apple, Dell, HP, and Gateway had a chance for it, but, yes!, thanks to Steve's ability to jump (and kick the competitors in the nuts), he snagged the patent!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Apple might like to take a look at this blatant rip-off.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:

Originally posted by musicus

Apple might like to take a look at this blatant rip-off.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's got to be one of the ugliest cases I've seen in a long time.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdkennedy1

I wouldn't worry about it. It's got to be one of the ugliest cases I've seen in a long time.

LOL! Agreed - but it's worrying that any "designer" would [1] dare to rip-off such an iconic design and [2] make such a laughably poor job of it.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think Apple is more worried about the internal design with this patent than the exterior. I would be. It's freaking genius.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I think Apple is more worried about the internal design with this patent than the exterior. I would be. It's freaking genius.

If you mean the cooling zones, yes, that's very, very cool. Literally (/me ducks for my pun)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    How about lian-li's g5 inspired V1000.

I actually prefer how the ports are at the bottom and centered. Thats how they should have been.

• Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by the_snitch

I actually prefer how the ports are at the bottom and centered. Thats how they should have been.

And how much does that beast cost?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

You see, this PC has 7 - not 3 - 7!!! PCI slots. How come Apple couldn't have put at least 4 in the G5???
  • Reply 11 of 12
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

I disagree completely since All G5s I've installed (about thirty) have all been placed on the floor or mounted underneath the table.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynameis

And how much does that beast cost?

$192 at Newegg.