Digital Camera Suggestions

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am taking a trip to Disney World and would like to buy a digital camera. I want it to be small so I can put it in my pocket, so I am thinking of getting a sony-cybershot...LINK It is good enough quality for 8x10, and even higher, so that is what I want as well. The only other thing that I can think of is the zoom, it is only 3x... is that the norm. for cameras? is it good enough? Thanks everyone. Also, since it is an LCD screen, is there something I can put on it that will protect it and won't leave residue or anthing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

I am taking a trip to Disney World and would like to buy a digital camera. I want it to be small so I can put it in my pocket, so I am thinking of getting a sony-cybershot...LINK It is good enough quality for 8x10, and even higher, so that is what I want as well. The only other thing that I can think of is the zoom, it is only 3x... is that the norm. for cameras? is it good enough? Thanks everyone.

yes, 3xzoom is a norm for compact cameras.

I think the coolest compact right now is the Panasonic Lumix dcm-fx7. In blue.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    This is a great compact camera. The Pentax Optio S4i. Compact, light, and powerful. 4mp, weighs 3.6 oz(4.2 oz with battery and memory card), and has a 3x optical zoom.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...uctId=13141654
  • Reply 3 of 43
    resres Posts: 711member
    There are so many good digital cameras out there now that it is hart to keep track of them. You should check out Digital Photography Review They have numerous reviews and comparisons of just about every digital camera.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

This is a great compact camera. The Pentax Optio S4i. Compact, light, and powerful. 4mp, weighs 3.6 oz(4.2 oz with battery and memory card), and has a 3x optical zoom.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...uctId=13141654

the pentax optio s4i is nice. But the panasonic ones are a notch newer. check also out the fx-5 it is comparable to the optio, but better... :-)
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Another good site to check:

http://www.dcresource.com/
  • Reply 6 of 43
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I've never been a great Sony fan since I think by and large they produce too much crap for a higher priced brand. Many Sony cameras tend to do quite a poor job on colours, particularly the reds. They've also been known to use some nasty noise reduction algorithms.

I have to say the Panasonic FX range is my favourite closely followed by the Canon Ixus' or Powershot S/SD range if you're in the states.

That said best idea is to check out the two review sites that have been mentioned and the photos. Steve's Digicams is also good for images from the cameras. His reviews aren't the best though.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    I wouldn't go with sony. Had lots of comparisons being in the navy and the Sony is about ok, nothing more then that. For the same money, better value with Canon Ixus series
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

the pentax optio s4i is nice. But the panasonic ones are a notch newer. check also out the fx-5 it is comparable to the optio, but better... :-)

Actually, that looks alot wider then the Optio S4i. Can that fit in an altoids case? Looking at the specs they are so similar the person won't notice it. I say it is a tie. But, it is all personal prefence. Also, the Optio is $100 cheaper.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    sony cybershot p-100 is very nice and very small (almost iPod thin). 5MP, excellent video for a digital camera if you get a pro stick.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Only problem I see with the sony is battery life. One of my church friend has one and when she is takes pictures... she turns off the camera immediately after finishing shooting and only takes pictures that she really really wants, cuz the camera batt doesn't allow for a great amount of shots. it's a new 2 week old camera too.

I really like my Fujifilm FinePix S3100, 400 pictures per charge is a good thing... 6x optical isn't bad as well, only prob is it's a little wide... haha I had to get a small camcorder bag for it to fit, none of the usual camera bags worked...

• Reply 11 of 43
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Don't forget http://www.dpreview.com for digicam reviews as well...

I have a Sony and I'd never buy another... the consumer class lenses are way worse quality than Canon (the only other brand I have lots of experience with) and for the same money. The Pentax compact is very nice as well. People also seem to like the Minolta Dimage as well. It's very small.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

Only problem I see with the sony is battery life. One of my church friend has one and when she is takes pictures... she turns off the camera immediately after finishing shooting and only takes pictures that she really really wants, cuz the camera batt doesn't allow for a great amount of shots. it's a new 2 week old camera too.

I really like my Fujifilm FinePix S3100, 400 pictures per charge is a good thing... 6x optical isn't bad as well, only prob is it's a little wide... haha I had to get a small camcorder bag for it to fit, none of the usual camera bags worked....

Well I've had my Cybershot for about 3 or 4 weeks and have only charged once--jsut the initial charge. I use it about every day. So maybe the P-100 is more efficient or something.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    I have never owned a Sony digicam, but have half a dozen models from Canon, which is the best (IMHO). Something that keeps me away from Sony digicams is the proprietary memory stick thingie.

In any case, I just saw an ad on TV for a very exciting camcorder / digicam from Samsung:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Camc...am_SCD6050.htm

It's a slim combo MiniDV 10x optical zoom camcorder / 5.25 megapixel digicam 3x optical zoom. If you travel with young kids like we do, that seems to be the perfect camera for vacations and stuff. Don't know much about its quality of price, but I will check it out as soon as I find a store that carries it.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    If it's anything like the other Samsung camcorders, it's crap... they're very poorly rated (see http://www.camcorderinfo.com/)
  • Reply 15 of 43
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

If it's anything like the other Samsung camcorders, it's crap... they're very poorly rated (see http://www.camcorderinfo.com/)

Oh well... seemed like a good idea, albeit poorly implemented after reading some reviews. Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Alright, I think I found one I am going to get. It comes out Oct. 30th, so that is good timing. Also, it is only $350. Canon Powershot SD20 What do you think?
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Wow, do you really need 5MP? Other than that, if it's anything like any of the other Canon cameras, it should be fine.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

Alright, I think I found one I am going to get. It comes out Oct. 30th, so that is good timing. Also, it is only $350. Canon Powershot SD20 What do you think?

Be warned that it only has digital zoom (not optical).
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Good point... no optical zoom.

SD10 and SD20 look to be bottom of the line models. Any higher models have optical zoom.

To the OP, do you really need such a small camera? I'd recommend the A75. Low price, excellent performance, and it's really not that big.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Good point... no optical zoom.

SD10 and SD20 look to be bottom of the line models. Any higher models have optical zoom.

To the OP, do you really need such a small camera? I'd recommend the A75. Low price, excellent performance, and it's really not that big.

IT's not bottom of the line. It's a slim model that has removed the zoom for size and elegance. If you don't need a optical zoom (many really don't), it's a good camera. But I would stil go for a Panasonic. Their Leica lenses offer some very sharp optical quality for a compact camera.