Apple to offer special edition U2 iPod?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple and U2 will reportedly team up to sell a special edition iPod promoting the band's forthcoming album.

Apple may announce a new special edition U2 iPod promoting the band's forthcoming album at next week's Special Music Event by Apple and U2, according to a report by Forbes.

The publication cites sources close to U2 and says "the digital music player will come preloaded with the band's new album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, along with portions of the Irish supergroup's 25-year catalogue. The iPods will be black and will be made available the same week as the band's 11th studio album, which is slated to be released in the U.S. by Universal Music Group's Interscope Records on November 23."

The reports says the custom iPods are part of a larger agreement, which will give Apple exclusive rights to sell all the songs from the new album online through its iTunes Music Store for at least the first few weeks following the release. U2 and Interscope will reportedly split a standard royalty for each song downloaded, plus an upfront licensing fee.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    i don't think apple would use their products to advertise other companies.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    You mean like Apple helping sell Pepsi and vice versa?

Screed
  • Reply 3 of 9
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

You mean like Apple helping sell Pepsi and vice versa?

Screed

And Apple helping HP sell "iPods" and accessories and helping Microsoft sell Office v.X etc.... Apple realizes that it is in their best interest to be symbiotic.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Okay you are right but that did not involve changing one of their products
  • Reply 5 of 9
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    U2 are well known for being very restrictive with allowing their music to be used for films/TV/adverts. The iPod commercials may well be the first time they have licenced any music for ads. Combine this with the well known fact that Bono has personal, thought out opinions on most things, and you will realise that this is a major coup for Apple. They should do all they can to make the most out of it.

David
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Don't forget that Apple produced a limited edition black iPod for Jaguar.

I agree that U2 is a major coup. As an indication, check out this link:

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/m...p?story=575460

Not often you see Apple in the role of evil international corporation!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    'global corporation Apple'

'major corporation such as Apple'

Funny. Considering Apple doesn't even bill their stuff as being made in the USA. Instead, they put made in California on their products.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

'global corporation Apple'

'major corporation such as Apple'

Funny. Considering Apple doesn't even bill their stuff as being made in the USA. Instead, they put made in California on their products.

Are you sure that's not Designed by Apple in California? That's what's engraved on the back of my two-year old iPod.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I wonder if the U2 iPod will come with the white headphones or if they will make special black ones to match. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.