iTunes Australia readying to launch?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
An overseas report indicates that Apple is primed to debut its iTunes Music Store in the land of Oz.

Citing music industry sources, a recent report in the Australian Financial Review confidently claims that Apple will launch its long-awaited iTunes Music Store in Australia in the next few weeks.

"While most of the negotiations for the Australian version of the iTunes service have been conducted through the global parents of the Australian music labels, meaning that the date of an Australian launch has been a well-guarded secret, record companies that are based in Australia are said to have finished negotiations with Apple over pricing and terms and are now readying to launch the service."

According to the report, the localized version of the store might sell music tracks for as little as 99¢ a track, Australian. This is far cheaper than the US store, which sells music for US99¢ ($1.35) per track, and below the break-even point in Australia, said to be $1.45 per track.

The accuracy of the report remains unknown, though if true, Apple would be in a position to unveil the music store alongside its new wave of European iTunes music stores, which are set to launch at a special music event on Oct. 26th.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    This is great news. I hope Apple has tons of local content too.

Here's to hoping that Apple has an amazing event next week:

1. U2 iPod

2. 60 gig/picture iPod

3. 5 gb mini

4. Pan EU Store

5. iTMS Australia

6. New features in the store/new iTunes software

That would blow the industry away. And leave M$ playing even more catch-up.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Here's to hoping that Apple has an amazing event next week:

1. U2 iPod

2. 60 gig/picture iPod

3. 5 gb mini

4. Pan EU Store

5. iTMS Australia

6. New features in the store/new iTunes software

That would blow the industry away. And leave M$ playing even more catch-up. [/B][/QUOTE]

5b. iTMS Canada too!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I'd like to know when Apple will link ALL of their music stores together to make one giant world iTMS!!! Bring it all together so everyone in the world can order music from all over the world. That wold be somethin!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by afalkner

I'd like to know when Apple will link ALL of their music stores together to make one giant world iTMS!!! Bring it all together so everyone in the world can order music from all over the world. That wold be somethin!

When the labels stop being stupid and greedy. That's when we can expect a true worldwide iTMS.

Sadly, knowing how greedy the the industry is, we'll all be dead long before that happens.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Most artists have different contracts with different labels in different countries. Taxes, royalties, etc. are different in each country. Even song publishers are different. In some territories songs are out of copyright while in others they are still in. It isn't the "greed" of the labels as it is how the artists negotiated their contracts and how the business is.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Well I think that is f-ng dumb. All they need to do is implement some sort of currency rate adjuster and whalaa! One world = One iTMS!!

WHO'S WITH ME?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Right, who cares where I live. As long as I bought it on the world iTMS, and the specific track i buy was based in Australia, then the Australian rules can apply, as well as the Australia royalties and such.

What I wanna know are when are all my Techno-beats gonna be available?

GU compilations, Bedrock discs, as well as all the individual MP3 tracks that I can use on my new CDJ-1000?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    About fvcking time!!!!

I actually thought last week that we may be getting iTMS down herre pretty soon. I thought this because on the Apple Australia Front Page they had the U2 ad, exclusively on iTMS... why would they advertise this fact when we can't even buy the song down here?

Here's hoping tho....

iDunno
  • Reply 9 of 15
    azazaazaza Posts: 19member
    And let us hope New Zealand is included in the Australian iTMS - despite the fact that it goes against the grain for us Kiwis to be associated with the Sons of the Sheep Shaggers <gGg>
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by azaza

And let us hope New Zealand is included in the Australian iTMS - despite the fact that it goes against the grain for us Kiwis to be associated with the Sons of the Sheep Shaggers <gGg>

Ooooh, them be fighting words! But I would rather be a son of a sheep shagger, than an actual sheep shagger.

iDunno
  • Reply 11 of 15
    At last!

And I'm stoked that they're not going to do the usual apple thing: Australian price = US price x exchange rate + a little bit extra.

My credit card is almost jumping out of my pocket already, and I'll be organising a time to go to my friends house with Cable.

Mendosi
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Damn I hope this comes true!

Something strange.....and I doubt it has anything to do with it.... but I cant log on to the Music Store ATM.... It gives me the usual guff about not having it my country, then when I click OK it takes me to the flag buttons to select a country... clicking on any of them takes me right back to the Country warning?!

Please Steve.... now is the time to let your Australian cousins in on the iTunes action!

• Reply 13 of 15
    Looks like there will be a slew of localized stores announced tomorrow! This from Macminute:

Quote:

October 25 - 18:52 EDT__ While many are looking forward to iPod announcements tomorrow, several MacMinute readers around the world are more concerned with an expansion of Apple's iTunes Music Store (iTMS). Apple has said numerous times that it will expand the store beyond the US, UK, France and Germany before the end of October. It is all but certain that the company will announce this at tomorrow's special event with U2, which kicks off at 1:00 p.m. ET. So far, MacMinute readers in Canada, Australia, Ireland, Italy, and Switzerland all report that they were previously able to browse the iTMS (but not make purchases), but are now presented with the following message when trying to access it: "The iTMS is not available in your country yet." This suggests that tomorrow could finally bring localized versions for those countries and many more. Let us know if you could previously view the offerings of the iTMS, but no longer can as of today. Update: Additional countries reported: The Netherlands. _[ Email this story ]

Apple is going to have a terrific Holiday sales season with millions and millions of iPods (of all varieties) sold and millions and millions of downloads from iTMS. Ho, ho, ho!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Looks like there's even more countries: Look at this!

[Update] - Additional countries as reported by MacRumors.com readers

Spain

Norway

Finland

Sweden

Japan

Italy

Belgium

Poland

New Zealand

Denmark

Mexico

Iceland
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Dammit, I got straight thru to the US iTMS no probs from down here in Sydney.

iDunno