Apple to end iTMS support for older iTunes clients

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer will soon end support for older versions of its iTunes jukebox software that attempt to access the company's online music store.

According to tipsters, users with dated versions of iTunes are being advised to update to the latest version of the software (4.6), as previous versions will soon no longer be supported.

"Get the latest version of iTunes. You are using a version of iTunes that will soon no longer be supported. Upgrade today to take advantage of the latest application features and Music Store enhancements," reads a message from the iTunes store.

In the coming months, Apple is expected to announce updates to its iTunes software. One of the forthcoming versions will also interface with an embedded iTunes client for Motorola cell phones, sources tell AppleInsider.

Next week Apple will also hold a music related event that could herald further technological enhancements to the iTunes Music Store, which may require a current release of software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    As long as existing songs keep playing--which I'm sure they will--I can't blame Apple for needing to upgrade both sides of the store (server software and client software) together from time to time.

If this warning about updating is new, though, it suggests there will NOT be a new iTunes version soon--otherwise they'd tell people to upgrade after that, and not make them update twice in a row.

There may however be store changes next week that don't need a new iTunes, but do at least need the current version.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    iTunes 4.6 was released on June 9th of this year. What did Apple know iTunes was capable of then that they are making available now? Also, predicting an update to iTunes "in the coming months" is a pretty safe call, so I discount it. Is some Australian or Canadian user getting this message to upgrade? These countries have been rumored to be brought into the iTMS fold soon, too. I say pshaw on this rumor.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I live in fear of the day that they stop supporting my G1 iPod...the last few software upgrades have ignored the older models, and I'm afraid that sooner or later, an iTunes update will no longer recognize older iPod software.

Somebody please let Steve Jobs know that not all mac folks can offord to replace hardware if it still works, no matter how cool the new ones are.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Do you also live in fear that your best friend will become the Plow King and steal all your business away?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I have a feeling that the push is to simplify customer support. Because the software is free there is not the traditional MS desire to generate more software revenue. Because the software is free there is a desire to simplify support costs.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    For the time being, you can still view movie trailers with iTunes 4.2.

I used Camino to get there. Dunno if Safari or IE will do it, though.

o Surf to http://www.apple.com/trailers/

o Click on "Watch movie trailers in iTunes 4.6"

You will have to click several times for Camino to parse the XML. A warning dialog box will appear, asking you if you want the URL (beginning with itms://) to launch another application (which will be iTunes). Agree.

iTunes 4.2 will happily launch and display the QuickTime movie trailer page.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    I'm in Canada and it won't let me into the music store anymore, even though I'm using 4.6. It tells me to pick a country, when I click on US, it just sends me back to the warning page and asks to pick a country again.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Apple's most likely set up the iTMS to check your IP address, and determine what country you're in.

Have you tried to access the iTMS from Canada via an anonymous surfing tool site?