• Reply 2 of 25
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    must be a coincidence!
  • Reply 3 of 25
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

I hope it's not XM, because Stern is on Sirius

No, he is not--not for another two years.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

No, he is not--not for another two years.

Sure he's moving... as for it taking two years... Well, all I can say is that Satellite is WAY up there and hauling Howard's ass all that way is just gonna take time.

Oh and to keep this post on topic and to crush this before it gets totally out of hand...

"NO" it isn't Apple - a very simple google search turned up the following:

Linky: http://www.engadget.com/entry/5213323776608634/

Quote:

Posted Oct 7, 2004, 2:56 PM ET by Peter Rojas

File this one under ?rumor? for right now, but we just got a tip that XM Satellite Radio and Delphi are going to introduce a wearable satellite radio very soon. Supposedly it?ll be called ?MyFI? (to go along with Delphi?s line of SkyFI receivers), and a quick check of the US Patent and Trademark Office reveals that they Delphi did in fact make a trademark filing for ?MyFI? a couple of months ago. Might not make up for not snagging Howard Stern, but you definitely can?t knock being able to listen to satellite while you jog or whatever.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

I hope it's not XM, because Stern is on Sirius

I hope it is XM, because Stern is on Sirius.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    What about an XM radio device by delphi that sits on top of the iPod similar to the iTrip? That would be cool. I wish someone would create an FM receiver like that. Or Griffin or Belkin add FM to their voice recorders...
  • Reply 7 of 25
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    I've had Sirius for quite a while now. They (Sirius, I use 'they' as in maybe possibly Sirius and XM...however their satellites are the same) make a reciever just for the computer, like they do just for home. But you can stream any radio station (or get a free pass if you don't own Sirius product) by using their "listening functions."

I had to email Sirius about getting a password for it didn't come with anything for my car reciever but they were very quick about response.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Don't forget that delphi made the cooling system for the DP 2.5. (It's the same company).
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

Sirius and XM...however their satellites are the same

Your statement is about the two companies using the same satellites is way wrong.

XM has two satellites built by Boeing. Their codenames are "Rock" and "Roll":

XM satellite launch story

Sirius has three satellites built by Loral.

Sirius satellite launch story
  • Reply 10 of 25
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by newwavedave

What about an XM radio device by delphi that sits on top of the iPod similar to the iTrip? That would be cool. I wish someone would create an FM receiver like that. Or Griffin or Belkin add FM to their voice recorders...

Well...

Maybe I did speak too soon... First I didn't realize that Delphi 'water-cool' and Delphi 'XM' were one and the same. Interesting yes... Second I scrolled down that page I linked to above and found a comment made that makes me think that the original poster and you are indeed on to something.

Quote:

Quote:

Posted Oct 7, 2004, 7:34 PM ET by Moose

I have a friend that works for Delphi and the piece that they are working on will be for a Walkman like device. Snap the ROADY in what looks like a Walkman & away you go. The antenna will be in the headphones band. Not sure if I want an XM antenna that close to my head or not?

The name thier working on is "matchbox" because the devise looks like and is about the same size as a matchbox.

So if 'Moose' is 'for real' then Delphi isn't making a wearable device after all but instead - "Delphi... the piece that they are working on will be for a Walkman like device... Snap the ROADY in what looks like a Walkman & away you go." - "Walkman like device" and what device would that be here in the 21st century?

Lets face it... If XM and Delphi were smart would they try to build yet another walkman device that people would have to be 'sold on' (and then convince them to take that device with them... either along with the iPod they already own or instead of their iPod thats already packed with thousands of music they already love) or instead of all of that they could simply build a 'snap-on' device for the iPod where you'd have millions and millions of customers already available to you and you wouldn't have to make them choose what to carry in their pocket.

Hmmm okay I've now sold myself...

Dave
  • Reply 11 of 25
    snipesnipe Posts: 97member
    Also worth considering as to why they (Apple, XM, Delphi) might hook up is to ask yourself . If you were going to introduce a new audio player, would you do it on the day Steve Jobs and Bono will intro a new iPod and thus have the media attention ????
  • Reply 12 of 25
    From MacMinute.com:

Quote:

XM Satellite Radio is expected to unveil a "wearable" device next week that will allow users to not only listen to XM content but download it to a built-in hard drive as well. An XM spokesman declined to comment beyond saying a major product announcement was planned for Oct. 26 in New York. "XM is also likely to announce its wearable device next week. There is a good shot this 'Walkman' type device, in the near term, will differentiate XM's hardware from Sirius," said Kit Spring, analyst with Stifel Nicolaus.

If XM was to be built into the iPod, I don't think they would be announcing it in New York, it would most likely be in California where the Jobs/Bono announcement will take place.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    snipesnipe Posts: 97member
    Quote:

Originally posted by s_sarinana

From MacMinute.com:

If XM was to be built into the iPod, I don't think they would be announcing it in New York, it would most likely be in California where the Jobs/Bono announcement will take place.

Unless of course they wanted to demonstrate it

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuot...1410653_newsml
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I remembered that such a device already exists for Sirius:

XAct XTR1 Power Pod

This "power pod" provides portable power for the XTR1 receiver, and contains a built in antenna.

Don't know if I'd wear it though...
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Your statement is about the two companies using the same satellites is way wrong.

XM has two satellites built by Boeing. Their codenames are "Rock" and "Roll":

XM satellite launch story

Sirius has three satellites built by Loral.

Sirius satellite launch story

Kudos to you
  • Reply 16 of 25
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    My father works for delphi, which lends a little insight into how they do buisness. I think I need to disclaimer my earlier post. Delphi has basically two buisness models: one, they build/built modular radio/tape/CD systems for GM cars back before they were spun off. The XM radio thingy they built was a fairly logical step. Two, they do a lot of "engineering for hire" which (I'm assuming) the liquid-cooling thing was.

I don't know if the apple gig was a one time thing, or if there's actually a rapport building between them.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Siruis is a joke.

#1 They have commericials (XM is commercial free)

#2 They are ponying up 500 million for their deal with howard stern!

#3 Less tech advantage

#4 HUGE MASSIVE AMOUNT OF DEBIT (About 12x what XM currently owes)

Any company that is will to bank their operation on one person and pay that kinda deal, for something that's two years in the future is not financially sound.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

#1 They have commericials (XM is commercial free)

This is a tough one to respond to, but I will say that commercials are an obvious way to pay the bills. Google has ads too.

Quote:

#2 They are ponying up 500 million for their deal with howard stern!

Objectively, Howard is the #1 radio personality in the country. His show is number one in the largest markets in the U.S. (NY and LA). They have ran the numbers, and if he brings in 1 million new subscribers, their investment will be justified. I believe 1 million is an easily attainable number, considering the double digit million audience Howard has.

Quote:

#3 Less tech advantage

There is no meat in your statement. Sirius has 3 satellites to XM's two. The recievers are exactly the same. They both have large pre-install deals with auto makers. They both stream on the net.

Quote:

#4 HUGE MASSIVE AMOUNT OF DEBIT (About 12x what XM currently owes)

Every new medium takes a lot of money to start. Sure, it's a high-stakes bet, but they've signed someone that has proven every pessimist wrong before.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

They both stream on the net.

Yes...I take full service of this. But I noticed that on at least Windows Media Players have the radio built in with the XM so that you can subscribe to it...or listen to it on WMP if you already are subscribed. Does Sirius provide anything like that? I was hoping that their [Sirius] player wasn't javascript so that I could bookmark it...but maybe I am looking past something? Or is there a way to bookkmark javascript? I've had Sirius in the car for a little over a year now, and on the stations that I listen to I can't remember one time the commercials came on. Interesting. I know they exist for I've heard them before I bought it (using Best Buy's or somone's player) but they are very infrequent.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    At first I thought ppl were reading too much into this XM/Apple thing, but then I read an article at MacRumors suggesting that Apple will unveil its use of the aacPLUS codec at the press event tomorrow . link

On further investigation, XM Satellite is also using aacPLUS to deliver its music.

Hmmm....