Mwsf 2005

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    My Guess

News updates:

Success of itunes/ipod sales

Info on Apple store London and announcment of Apple Store Birmingham and other new stores opening across Europe and maybe 1 in Canada. iTunes announced for Mobile Phones.

Hardware:

Powerbook G5 1.6 ghz and 1.8 ghz (maybe 2 ghz for 17 inch)

Maybe Dual 3 ghz Mac (Dual Core for WWDC05).

60 Gig Classic Ipod.

Emac Speed bump.

Xserve Dual 2.5 Ghz

Airport Express now works with iphoto.

Software:

Tiger release date announced (ship between January 24th and March 31)

iLife05

iTunes5(aac+)

New iphoto,imovie,idvd

Garageband 2 and Proband (Garageband with all Jam packs Included)

Finalcut Express 3

Keynote 2
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

The low end PowerMacs used to cost 1500 ... and while the single-processor G5 *could* be called the low end, I'd more accurately call it the super-low end.

We need dual-processors starting at 1600...then it'll be an attractive buy.

It is really is starting to get amusing. First we want a so-called "headless iMac"...(which is really a PowerMac anyway). Then we say we want it cheap. Then when Apple delivers somethign cheaper...its not good enough. It occurs to me that what most people seem to want is a dual 2.5GHz PM for $999. Not gonna happen.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

While the "old" iPods were left all the same.

Old iPods: price drop.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

4 HDD bays not needed. The hottest storage tech now is NAS/SAN. 5 or 6 expansion slots are only needed generally for those minute ProTools users.

NAS/SAN storage is still too expensive. 4 internal drive bays shouldn't be a problem to reengineer in the current design. When stores like CompUSA are selling 250GB SATA for $159 on sale, it's quite a savings over having to buy a LaCie 1TB solution than just adding the 4 drives yourself.

Also hardware RAID is a must in the next update. For the type of user the PowerMac is targeted at it's a wonder it's not been added since it's part of just about every cheap PC motherboard you can find out now. It's not a luxury feature anymore.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Dual Opticals not needed.

At the rate that storage technology is changeing, especially optical, you have to be a bit out of touch to make such a statement.

The whole point of a tower is to be able to adapt to new technology and expand as needed.

Quote:

4 HDD bays not needed. The hottest storage tech now is NAS/SAN.

Agian this is completely out of place. Sure NAS/SAN are noce concepts but they are not a replacement for internal raid arrays or multiple harddisks. In fact the two technologies are not really competitive.

Quote:

5 or 6 expansion slots are only needed generally for those minute ProTools users.

Apple's hardware is fine. They just need to move to PCI Express and faster CPU's and graphics.

I certainly agree here. You would have to be desperate for computer power to buy one of the towers now. Further they better put in at least two PCI-Express slots of the 16x variety.

Quote:

Software needs some help. With Tiger hitting by mid 2005 they should be prepared to announce a new application(s) that are Tiger "only" to drive sales. The "Pains" or obstacles to peoples success aren't drive bays and or second optical drives. It's accomplishing your tasks in a fair amount of time and at a decent cost.

Which is exactly what internal drives address. Personally I think Apple should just punt and configure its top of the line machines with a RAID implementation and be done with it. Build a tower that can use the same drive modules as the XServes.

Quote:

Raising the amount of Powermacs won't help nor will coming out with a low cost headless model appreciably change anything.

The lack of a low cost headless model does impact apples ability to sell into certain accounts. The new single processor Tower does look like an attempt to address that sort of market.

Quote:

Software Software Software!! That's the next key for Apple.

Software is nice but is pretty useless without affordable hardware. I geuss if Apple wants to continue to shrink market share and become even more marginalized they will continue the current trends.

Dave
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I think the idea of separating into 2 Mac towers is a good one.

Well Apple needs to do something as the current line up is a mess. It should not be much of a problem to configure and market coherently two different towers. The single processor machine recently released is a step in that direction. Unfortunately they just didn't step far enough.

Quote:

Some of "the best" highend applications available in all 3 areas are made by Apple - Yet they don't have a completive workstation for the ultra highend.

Apple until recently didn't have a competitive machine for any market. The single processor machine is a baby step in the right direction for the low end but that is not saying much.

Apple really falls flat in the middle though. The machines simply are a waste of money for somebody that is struggling in the DCC industry or other areas Apple targets. This is pretty much seen in sales.

Quote:

The PowerMac will be overdue for it biannual upgrade at MWSF, but I wont pretend to think that it'll be ready by then. I just think the splitting of the tower is a good idea, and could spark serious growth in the company right now.

It certainly could if Apple could deliver a truely competitive machine at a reasonable price. It doesn't have to be the cheapest but they certianly need to get over their inability to configure a base machine that is saleable. It is one thing to have a higher priced machine it is another thing to have a machine that needs immediate expansion right out of the gate.

I suspect that MWSF will be very interesting. Apple absolutely has to transistion to PCI-Express or loose all credibility in the market. That should be their number one goal to get PCI-Express out in a way that the market can really admire. After that the rest of the issues with the tower that make it a "no deal" machine must be addressed.

Dave
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by McCrab

Is this price-point attractive enough?

NOPE!!!

let me elaborate: NOPE!!!!!!

Why pay $1500 for $500 worth of Hardware?

Dave
  • Reply 28 of 64
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

NOPE!!!

let me elaborate: NOPE!!!!!!

Why pay $1500 for $500 worth of Hardware?

Dave

I'm guessing it's more like why pay 1500 for 800 worth of hardware. I'm thinking that all that stuff in there is worth more than 500... but that's just me.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    It's important not to confuse the "intended" market for Powermacs. Apple is decidely Prosumer to Professional here and contrary to what many have you believe professionals usually pay top dollar for proven technologies.

While a Pro could make use of a bunch of drive bays and optical drives the chances are they've invested in something that performs better with easier maintenance.

My point basically is that hardware is not Apple's issue overall but rather getting their software up to a point where it's generating billion(s) in revenue annually.

The CompUSA crowd isn't going to get Apple where they need to be but they will be icing on the cake.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    I expect a "software only" keynote.

Speedbumped G5/Powerbooks announcements before X-mas. Steve will use the class-A G5 for presentation of all the new software, where there is:

Tiger.

Tiger.

Tiger.

lots of Tiger?-

His presentation shows some new effects of keynote2.

The new machines include Tiger and iLife5, iPhoto has some Tiger-effects, iMovie gets faster, no multilayer (FCE only) but some pic-in-pic effects plus Boris-lite-kind-of titleing; iDVD gets more themes.

Garageband2? no.

FCE3. maybe.-

AppleWorks X including an iTunes-like data-miner (hey, Apple! "miner" is a nice word for an app, isn't it?)

ok, let's get insane
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

It is really is starting to get amusing. First we want a so-called "headless iMac"...(which is really a PowerMac anyway). Then we say we want it cheap. Then when Apple delivers somethign cheaper...its not good enough. It occurs to me that what most people seem to want is a dual 2.5GHz PM for $999. Not gonna happen.

What Apple delivered was not what people wanted.

What they're clammering for is a headless iMac that just happens to have an expandable slot or two. They can take the $1300 iMac hardware, cut the head off. $999. Tada.

What they delivered was not cheaper. It was a headless computer for the SAME PRICE as the equivalent with a monitor. Just because it takes on the PowerMac form factor doesn't make it "professional" hardware when it is spec'ed exactly as the consumer model.

As for MWSF, I definitely predict new PowerBooks, but they won't yet be G5s. Not that Apple Store employees are the most reliable, but a few (different stores, different states) do seem to firmly believe it won't happen just yet.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

I expect a "software only" keynote.

I can't imagine that they aren't going to keep updating the iPod line at a faster pace than the computer lines. At the very least bigger drives or cheaper prices and a few incremental features added on to the latest model.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

I can't imagine that they aren't going to keep updating the iPod line at a faster pace than the computer lines. At the very least bigger drives or cheaper prices and a few incremental features added on to the latest model.

of course, all kind of hardware will constantly get better.-

but, I believe, if Steve has to present Tiger, he will waste no time for some specs "? the drive is getting bigger, and all that for less then 299?"

or, Apple has some REAL new, next, one more thing in the sleeves? THAT will be presented by him, of course, at the keynote, but no rumors in the grapevine, aren't they?

still waiting for the Apple branded "remote control", WLAN enabled, small b/w display for iTunes playlists, headphone jack?- THAT would be a nice 99$ gagdget?- they could use the formfactor of the ipod mini, instead of a HD you have the AE chipset.?- and, as surprise, an infrared emitter, Steve "?you can switch off your telly too!?"
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Keynote 2 confirmed

Have you seen the U2/iPodPhoto note lateley?

here some pics:

http://homepage.mac.com/lesposen/blogwavestudio/

that's what I mentioned earlier: Tiger adds lots of grafic effects instantly to many apps?-
  • Reply 35 of 64
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

...The funniest part is they are relatively inexpensive for what you get.

I think the time is right for Apple to make a move. They have great name brand recognition right now, and the competition is pulling away in these ares which will ultimately be affecting sales. If there has ever been a time to seize the moment, and grow into something you already make the software for this is it. Apple has all the great highend software available in all the workstation markets.

Unfortunately, they run Windows. Major drawback for creative professionals. Or anyone sane.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

I'm guessing it's more like why pay 1500 for 800 worth of hardware. I'm thinking that all that stuff in there is worth more than 500... but that's just me.

Don't forget that lovely round thing in the box with something called Mac OS X on it. And another one called iLife. There is a reason Apple charges premiums for their hardware. People, you just don't get it.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

? Immense pimping of current Apple products

That's what frustrates me about the Stevenote: I could cap everything he said in about 5 minutes, without any loss in clarity. "Just get to the heart of the matter, dammit" is what I'm always thinking when I watch it.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    Agreed. I can't really imagine the pimping is useful to any other purpose than setting up a proper RDF.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Unfortunately, they run Windows. Major drawback for creative professionals. Or anyone sane.

The fact still remains that 95% of highend creative professionals are not using Macs at work. But another 15+% or more would, and another 35+% on top of that would "seriously" consider it from the first real offering of the right machine. ( you should have seen the buzz when the G5 was announced before they were independently tested) There are already a lot of Mac users in the highend creative fields, but practically none of them are using them at work.

It's not insanity that is keeping them away - It's the lack of the right Mac for the job. It's just not there.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    there is not going to be a headless iMac, so please shut the fuck up about it. It gets really annoying when everyone complains about how there needs to be one, but there won't be one. Secondly, dear god let there be an update to the worst software Apple still has out there: AppleWorks. It is disgusting, and they could do so much more. Of course there is going to be a new Keynote, all those transitions are going to be in there. Another Tiger demo, update on PBs... maybe a 60 Gig regular iPod.