New Grand Theft Auto

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i gotta say though... I still can't get used to the music. Only Radio-X saves itself.

The music in Vice City was just... perfect.

Maybe I'm too much of an 80s nostalgic or something
  • Reply 22 of 59
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

i gotta say though... I still can't get used to the music. Only Radio-X saves itself.

The music in Vice City was just... perfect.

Maybe I'm too much of an 80s nostalgic or something

I agree with you for the most part but I do like the Willie Nelson cover of

Patsy Cline's "Crazy" on the country channel.

I like the idea of being able to play the arcade games that they have around

town but I wish they could have gotten real games. It would be cool if you

could play streetfighter 2 or the first mortal kombat game (plus your

character's reflection on the screen playing the game.) Isn't Rockstar owned

by Activision or Midway?

Also, it would be sweet in the next version to play some of the bar games

like darts or billiards.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    my friend says you can play pool; havent tried myself. don't know about darts. i hvae played basketball though. also for gang wars: it seems to be easier to start a war without a crew. what i do is start one near green turf, then run and get reinforcements. also, turf wars are a lot easier if you don't have any stars to begin with. cops and people generally wont bother you once the war is declared, so you usually dont gain stars mid-war, but if u have one before the war starts, cops are more likely to follow you and thus see the carnage and increase the stars considerably.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Thought I'd give a bump and see where others are/what cool things they've discovered.

It took forever for me to officially get to San Fiero. Racing missions always kick my butt.

The opponent for the last Los Santos race:

I thought the girlfriend (Denise) stuff was kinda lame, at least as far as I got. One cool thing, though: we were on a date when part of my turf came under fire. She helped win the gunfight, then it was on to the dance club!

Oddly enough, I spend a crap-ton of time riding around on bicycles. My cycle skill is maxed. Bunny hopping over cars, shredding mountains-God this game rules!

J
  • Reply 25 of 59
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    *possible spoilers*

I'm on the last racing mission with cesar's southpark j-lo psycho sister. I've tried the mission like 5 times, but the car just spins out far too easily. I'm a little annoyed that the ballers have taken over my territory and I can't start gang wars (apparently because I'm exiled?). After killing a bunch of hookers in my territory there seem to be fewer. Hopefully I can encourage them to come back.

The trucker missions are pretty cool. Breaking into the airports to steal planes is pretty easy, but in san fierro the coolest planes are locked. Playing pool is probably the best 2 player touch, but it moves a little slow.

Probably the most interesting aspect of the game so far is that it's rich enough that you can easily fall into a daily routine. For a while there it was day in and day out of gang war->take denise out->go home->repeat. It's like leading a double life.

I have a real hard time with the cycles on the half pipes, but the street bikes are a little easier for me to work with in that park.

The long road trips through rural areas add a really nice touch, too.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

The opponent for the last Los Santos race:

The lowrider race? I just brought the car to the shop and spent $1K on 10x nitro. I finished the race before they were even on the pier.

edit: actually, now that I think about it, I don't even think I had to use the nitro in that race. I think I just tore ahead on some of the long straight streets. I'm pretty sure it was in the car with the fins. But this race I'm on now going down dirt roads in an NSX is a total chore.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    According to my stats I've only completed 28% of the game after 40 hours of

playing. I've just started doing Zero's remote control missions in San Fiero &

controlling the remote-controlled biplane is wicked hard. How do you get a

plane licence? A guy at work found a way to sneak into an airport without

a license but when he flies to a unauthorized section, his rating goes up & he

gets shot down by jets. He said that they still shoot at him even if he jumps out

of the plane.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    What I've done when I accidentally take the jet over the still-locked las venturas is hightail it back to catalina's place, bail out as close to it as possible (sometimes by dipping the jet real low and bailing out at the last moment), run up to the save point and save the game, thus making the cops disappear. I think you can also lose the stars in more normal ways if you are back on unlocked land.

Getting into the airports is really easy, and you can find out some of the ways through a google search. I actually found out how to get in to the los santos airport a totally different way, but that airport is really easy to get into once you realize how.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    getting into the LS airport is easy. follow the fence around until you notice it is lower (you might also notice the gate where the guy tells you that you can't come in). put a car next to the shorter part of the fence, jump on top, and jump over. u'll find a dodo and a nicer plane (i call it a lear but i dont rememebr what the game calls it). if you fly for ~40 - 45 game hours (so real-life 40-45 minutes) you gain a pilot's license. i just flew east and west, always relatively close to the LS airport. note: if u do the 40h straight, you will be warned that you are starving. your health will decrease (kind of like when ur out of breath, but not as fast). the time doesn't have to be in one shot, you can do it in bits to avoid the starvation.

getting the pilot's license opens up all the airports. (well, on islands that you otherwise have access to) it also clears the map of the "i haven't been there yet" fog. when u do have a plane, its real tough to avoid the coppers (and jets and missiles) for long if u fly over a city u aren't allowed at yet, unless u save like giant mentioned. i've been meaning to grab a parachute and jump out of a plane with it.

whats pretty cool is there is a plane right near the SF airport. its a crop duster on top of a hill. pretty fun to fly.

those races... if its the one (well, two) i'm thinking of then: if you can get a lead before any of the bridges, then stop on the bridge and block traffic, your opponents will swerve away from you or bump into you. if u get bumped they get more disoriented than you (hopefully!).

i was reading about the territories. apparently those don't become available again until the end of the game.

i played that rc-plane mission at my friends house. we revolved between like 4-5 of us and refused to quit the game until we beat it. took us a few hours (and more than a few bong rips) to get through it.

what i'm working on now is getting some cash and buying that zero property. i'm gonna try the gambling scheme when i get home.

my roomie and i switched off doin trucker missions. those are pretty fun.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

getting into the LS airport is easy. follow the fence around until you notice it is lower (you might also notice the gate where the guy tells you that you can't come in). put a car next to the shorter part of the fence, jump on top, and jump over. u'll find a dodo and a nicer plane (i call it a lear but i dont rememebr what the game calls it). if you fly for ~40 - 45 game hours (so real-life 40-45 minutes) you gain a pilot's license. i just flew east and west, always relatively close to the LS airport. note: if u do the 40h straight, you will be warned that you are starving. your health will decrease (kind of like when ur out of breath, but not as fast). the time doesn't have to be in one shot, you can do it in bits to avoid the starvation.

Do you have to do that for 45 minutes straight or is it cumulative? I've got

6 million bucks from longshot bets at the off-track betting parlor using the

reloading method.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

[B]*possible spoilers*

I'm a little annoyed that the ballers have taken over my territory and I can't start gang wars (apparently because I'm exiled?).

Spoilers if you didn't get this far,

You do not have a gang anymore. Remember Smoke and Ryder betrayed you, Sweet is in jail and most of your gang was killed or arrested in the green sabre mission. So how on earth are you supposed to start a gang war with no gang?
  • Reply 32 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Spoilers if you didn't get this far,

You do not have a gang anymore. Remember Smoke and Ryder betrayed you, Sweet is in jail and most of your gang was killed or arrested in the green sabre mission. So how on earth are you supposed to start a gang war with no gang?

When I was swiping territories, I grabbed most of them by myself because my

homies were idiots. I'd have a pack of 7 guys & they would do stupid things

like shooting cops or showing gang signs while I was getting my ass shot up.

There would be other times when they would do a musical chairs version

of getting into the car. Other times my guys would walk in the way while I

had a lock on an enemy.

It was alot easier to drive by myself, find a cluster of 3 or 4 rival gang members

standing around. Get out of the car & lob a grenade to start a gang war. Then

lead the waves of enemies down a street. When they were together I'd toss

grenades at them.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Quote:

The lowrider race? I just brought the car to the shop and spent $1K on 10x nitro. I finished the race before they were even on the pier.

edit: actually, now that I think about it, I don't even think I had to use the nitro in that race. I think I just tore ahead on some of the long straight streets. I'm pretty sure it was in the car with the fins. But this race I'm on now going down dirt roads in an NSX is a total chore.

I meant the "Farewell my love," one, which I think is the one you're on.

I didn't mean the guy was a good driver, just WHO he was!

J
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

I meant the "Farewell my love," one, which I think is the one you're on.

I didn't mean the guy was a good driver, just WHO he was!

J

Not much of a talker, is he?
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

Do you have to do that for 45 minutes straight or is it cumulative? I've got

6 million bucks from longshot bets at the off-track betting parlor using the

reloading method.

its cumulative. i did a stint at about 35 minutes, and remembered about the starvation. got out, went for a walk, forgot to buy food, then went flying again. i managed to get the pilot's license like 10min later, just around the time i started starving and i was flying right over the airport, so i was fortunate.

i resolved to try out the gambling trick {i've been low on cash, and it hadn't occurred to me until yesterday to do that} but then i got high, and i couldn't find the otb. i'm gonna try to find my map this time.

those trucker missions are fun. i hope there isn't a limited number of them (i got a feeling there might be though). its actually a lot of fun driving a mack rig around, and being careful not to asplode or fall apart.

i love the celebrity voices: sammy l jackson, charlie murphy, theres a bunch more. its real cool though.

my friend came over yesterday, and was telling me about venturas. i think i'm gonna stay in all weekend and try to open that island.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Quote:

getting into the LS airport is easy. follow the fence around until you notice it is lower (you might also notice the gate where the guy tells you that you can't come in). put a car next to the shorter part of the fence, jump on top, and jump over.

You can also just climb on top of his little building. If you are on foot, the way to get in is to go all the way to the west end of that same wall and climb up where the fence meets the wall.

Quote:

i've been meaning to grab a parachute and jump out of a plane with it.

It takes a little effort to get the parachute and then the plane. The lazy way is just to take the helicopter to the top of the tall building in LS. Once you get the parachute, just go straight up. But the planes, as you know, go higher.

Quote:

whats pretty cool is there is a plane right near the SF airport. its a crop duster on top of a hill. pretty fun to fly.

Thanks. I was wondering where that thing was coming from. I can't believe I totally missed that hill.

That crop duster is pretty cool. With the sprayers on you can do tricks much more easily, like falling straight backwards.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Quote:

It takes a little effort to get the parachute and then the plane. The lazy way is just to take the helicopter to the top of the tall building in LS. Once you get the parachute, just go straight up. But the planes, as you know, go higher.

i know. but evertime i go through the motions of going to an airport, stealing a plane/chopper, flying to chiliad, getting the chute, getting back in the plane/chopper, elevating... i always end up forgetting, then rampaging and/or dying on the way. ive jumped off chiliad a bunch of times, and it was real cool. i've also nearly perfected jumping out of a plane without getting hurt.

i hear there is a really tall building (i think in LS, but maybe SF) that you can go through a triangle and warp to the top of. and supposedly up there is a chute. its supposed to be a great jump. all that air makes me think of trying skydiving for real.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    There's a property near the airport that helps the skydiving process.

1. Buy the house by the airport.

2. Go to the tallest building in Los Santos and enter it. At the top take the parachute.

3. Leave via the stairs.

4. Drive back to your house near the airport.

5. Save the game, ideally save it to an empty slot and remember that's your skydiving only slot.

Now, you have a chute and can just walk a block to the airport. (You'll need to jack a car to jump on top of, of course).

Reload it when you land. Beats running around endlessly for the chute.

Later you'll get the chute every time you enter a plane, but the above is good for early on.

If you're lazy and need money and don't want to do missions at first, go to the Pig Pen strip club. Get on the stage CAREFULLY behind the girl. Kneel down so CJ's face is almost at ass level. People throw money onstage and you get it first, before the stripper does. You can just leave the game on for an hour or two (go to lunch outside) and make about $100 a minute. By the time you get back you're loaded. Just DO NOT touch the stripper ever or the bouncer's will cap you. The number of audience members varies each time and over time, so pay rate is not consistent. Save somewhere and then go buy some properties (and hit the gym) then save again.

Note this is not a glitch or a cheat, simply a devious tactic. Also note that as time passes CJ gets weaker and loses muscle. he was buff going in and came out thin but $30,000-$40,000 richer. It's a tradeoff.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    Quote:

i hear there is a really tall building (i think in LS, but maybe SF) that you can go through a triangle and warp to the top of. and supposedly up there is a chute. its supposed to be a great jump. all that air makes me think of trying skydiving for real.

Actually, both LS and SF. In LS it's the extremely tall circular building (on map, look for the circle building by the expressway) and in SF it's the building modeled after the transamerica pyramid. The one in LS has the helicopter pad on top, too, so you can just land and get the parachute.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

If you're lazy and need money and don't want to do missions at first, go to the Pig Pen strip club. Get on the stage CAREFULLY behind the girl. Kneel down so CJ's face is almost at ass level. People throw money onstage and you get it first, before the stripper does. You can just leave the game on for an hour or two (go to lunch outside) and make about $100 a minute. By the time you get back you're loaded. Just DO NOT touch the stripper ever or the bouncer's will cap you. The number of audience members varies each time and over time, so pay rate is not consistent. Save somewhere and then go buy some properties (and hit the gym) then save again.

Note this is not a glitch or a cheat, simply a devious tactic. Also note that as time passes CJ gets weaker and loses muscle. he was buff going in and came out thin but $30,000-$40,000 richer. It's a tradeoff.

cool. sounds easy enough. where is the Pig Pen though? LS? SF? anyway you can narrow it down a bit.

roofs: ima have to check those out tonight.